SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: SpaceX News

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

GIThruster wrote:Next attempt, Sunday at 6PM: http://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-f ... ive-2015-2
Uhm, this is wrong, I believe. From all I have seen, there is a launch attempt TODAY, Feb. 8 at 6:10 pm EST.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Today is Feb. 6th. Sunday is the 8th.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, I just realized. No idea what got into me!

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Reading about this just now (at 1809 central time) I'm happy to see I haven't missed it by an hour. ;)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Gloom despair and agony,

It looks like space X was unable launch due to a problem with the ground radar at NASA. As it was an instant launch window as soon as they put a hold on the countdown cause the Launch to miss it. The next launch window is tomorrow at 6:09 PM.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:Gloom despair and agony,

It looks like space X was unable launch due to a problem with the ground radar at NASA. As it was an instant launch window as soon as they put a hold on the countdown cause the Launch to miss it. The next launch window is tomorrow at 6:09 PM.

D@mn the bad luck. I was hoping to open this thread and see that they had a successful mission, especially the part about landing their first stage. Oh well, something to look forward to tomorrow.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Maui

Post by Maui »

Actually, the weather forecast is looking not-so-hot for tomorrow...

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

paperburn1 wrote:Gloom despair and agony,

It seems like they have been having quite a bit of problem with the ground radar there in the last year. My recollection is that this is the third time its been down.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

NASA pushed back to Tuesday for weather:

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/ ... /23090933/

Maui

Post by Maui »

krenshala wrote:It seems like they have been having quite a bit of problem with the ground radar there in the last year. My recollection is that this is the third time its been down.
I don't recall where I saw this (probably /r/spacex), but someone claimed that there would be more than just the required primary and backup site available were it not for the sequester. As it currently stands, if either the primary or backup has an issue, they have to scrub the launch.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Looking forward to the controlled landing attempt on the RTFM -- I mean, JRTI.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

All these delays remind me of one reason airliners are so much cheaper than space launch. At a common airport you don't have to schedule a time slot nearly so much in advance. And wait time once you're ready is short compared to "launch window" to reach your destination.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Flying supersonic into rain is pretty tough on a spacecraft. That's why they cancelled yesterday. The day before it was NASA's ground radar.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

And today it is because high altitude winds are in excess of 150% of acceptable limits. (the webcast lasted about 2 minutes, with the clock suspended at T-12:41). *sigh*

I'm sure they will get this thing launched ... eventually.