SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Maui

Re: SpaceX News

Post by Maui »

Actually, I think NASA wants 7 launches in a "frozen" config. They have launched block V as of last month... but that was a version without the new COPV tanks. First flight with those doesn't come until August I think. So they need 7 flights from that point.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

That sounds right. I wasn't sure, and recalled that is was a number 10 or less.
Thanks!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

The next two flight block five get the pleasure of a complete teardown/ analysis to verify the wear for multiple flights I think they'll have a "Frozen" NASA version, and then over the year or two, will tweak other items using commercial launches. Once they have enough of them, I bet they make a Block 5.1 (sort of what Elon said they might do), fly it 7 times commercially,
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

I thought others here would be interested in this, if you hadn't seen it already:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/06 ... -for-2020/

williatw

Post by williatw »

Not particularly relevant to this topic but:

2020 Tesla Roadster Vs 2018 Bugatti Chiron - Top Speed!!

Published on Nov 20, 2017

2020 Tesla Roadster Base Specs Acceleration 0-60 mph 1.9 sec Acceleration 0-100 mph 4.2 sec Acceleration 1/4 mile 8.8 sec Top Speed Over 250 mph Wheel Torque 10,000 Nm Mile Range 620 miles Seating 4 Drive All-Wheel Drive Base Price $200,000 Base Reservation $50,000 Founders Series Price $250,000 Founders Series Reservation (1,000 reservations available) $250,000

2018 Bugatti Chiron

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: mid-engine, all-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $2,700,000

ENGINE TYPE: quad-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 64-valve W-16, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 488 cu in, 7993 cc
Power: 1500 hp @ 6700 rpm
Torque: 1180 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 106.7 in
Length: 178.9 in
Width: 80.2 in Height: 47.7 in
Passenger volume: 54 cu ft
Cargo volume: 2 cu ft
Curb weight: 4400 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 2.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 4.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 9.4 sec
Top speed: 261 mph

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA combined/city/hwy: 10/8/15 mpg

There will obviously come a point in time when electric vehicles will straight up outperform gas operated ones by every measurable parameter; never mind the green/ecology angle. And likely cost less to boot. But of course since Musk luvs self-driving cars it would kinda defeat the purpose of selling it based on said fun-to-drive performance; unless you count how much "fun" the computer is having driving you around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFJpUf8ESo

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/06/e ... -cars.html

Maui

Post by Maui »

... I mean, if it has rockets, it's at least a little relevant?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The yawn effect has even passed. Did no one notice that CRS-15 flew this morning. The last of the Block IV Falcons laid to rest in a successful second flight. The capsule is also a recycle.

You guys... losing interest so fast...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Now the next test for spacex isto avoid the apollo 13 moment :D .

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-mr-ste ... rendering/

How to catch a fairing... try, try, again...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-mr-ste ... rendering/

How to catch a fairing... try, try, again...
If it is ejected at about the same time as the first stage, and has a parachute, why not a ramchute and fly it back to the launch site?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have also wondered this. Or even assisted guidance towards the recovery vessel net. Have them chase each other.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:I have also wondered this. Or even assisted guidance towards the recovery vessel net. Have them chase each other.
I thought they were doing that already?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Skipjack wrote:
ladajo wrote:I have also wondered this. Or even assisted guidance towards the recovery vessel net. Have them chase each other.
I thought they were doing that already?
They are , but there are some problems
I would guess that most skydiving canopies are trimmed to glide ratios between 2:1 and 3.5:1 I think if pushed some of the accuracy jumpers are at 6:1 but that is pushing the upper limits.
I would say the wing loading is closer to 2:1 to 3:1 due to the weight of the aluminum honeycomb.
There also is the lack of atmosphere for flying the canopy for most of the flight as well as the fact the rocket could be hundreds of kilometer down range by the time it ejects the fairing. The fairings also do not just drop straight back to earth but follow a ballistic trajectory to the ground putting them even farther away.
The fairing ejects about 210 to 280 second after launch depending on orbit.The requirement for jetision is The payload fairing will nominally be deployed when free molecular aero-thermal heating is less than 1,135 W/m2.
In layman's terms about 120 KM high so it would have a range of about 200 KM (edit 50 km at best) at that altitude ( best guess, i hate doing math without a reason) it would barely have the range to make it half way back.
a bigger canopy? I hear the grumbling but no.
As the span increases, if the lines for each cell are the same length, the outer cells contribute less and less to vertical lift -- they're oriented outboard, not up. If you try to compensate by increasing the outboard line lengths, you decrease the relative pressurization in the outboard cells, and you increase the chances of opening problems as well as stability in turbulence. A problem they mentioned in the last two recovery attempts. On the other hand, if you compensate by making all the lines longer (so the canopy occupies fewer degrees of arc), Each cell is additional labor, and additional bulk in seams and lines you increase line pack volume and line drag. Pack volume is not a problem for soaring paragliders, and their lines need be strong enough only for soaring, not opening shock at 200+ mph. so as you can start to see, easyer to meet it halfway then try and fly all the way back.
every good rocket has a users guide
http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/file ... ev_2.0.pdf

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/07/s ... -2019.html

I put this forward, unless testing will begin on schedule this infrastructure expenditure seems premature.

So BFS testing will begin on schedule, as announced.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

jnaujok

Post by jnaujok »

Yeah, another boring GTO launch and landing. Second flight of a block 5, and the second landing stuck right on the middle circle.

Boring....

It's like they're so good at this, they're making it look easy.