SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Re: SpaceX News

Post by KitemanSA »

They need to switch to a SWATH barge. Maybe even a thrust-augmented stability SWATH barge.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

For those who missed it, SpaceX launch for today (24 Feb, 2016), punts to tomorrow, same time window of 1846ish evening burn.
Barge landing is the goal...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

But SpaceX has stated they don't have high hopes of pulling off the barge landing since this launch is for a geo-synch insertion (higher delta-v requirements, so less fuel left for the landing and/or its just moving east faster than with other barge landing attempts).

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As I understand, they are positioning the barge to help make up for fuel concerns for the high energy boost requirements. This is the main reason they are working the barge angle. To allow for recoveries down range when the boost did not leave enough juice for a flyback to dirt. I have not seen anything yet that indicates they are not going for the barge this launch.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Here is what SpaceX put out in the press kit:
This mission is going to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit. Following stage separation, the first stage of the
Falcon 9 will attempt an experimental landing on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship. Given this
mission’s unique GTO profile, a successful landing is not expected.
Should be entertaining at a minimum. Touchdown? Splash? Splash with Boom? Touchdown with Boom? Just Boom? :)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:Should be entertaining at a minimum. Touchdown? Splash? Splash with Boom? Touchdown with Boom? Just Boom? :)
Hopefully not a "touchdown with boom + Sink"! :wink:
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

oooh! We should add that one: "Boom & Sink"

I am thinking rocket runs out of gas before decell complete, lawn darts barge, boom! gurgle...

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:oooh! We should add that one: "Boom & Sink"

I am thinking rocket runs out of gas before decell complete, lawn darts barge, boom! gurgle...

:)
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Should the Gurgle happen, I wonder if they will posthumously rename it "“Of Course I Still Love You From The Bottom Of The Sea” :D

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Scrubbed. D@mn.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Maui

Post by Maui »

I've always had a lot of enthusiasm for SpaceX, but it is getting harder and harder not to get disenfranchised. As cool as a lot of the things they are doing are, if they can't get to the point where they can meet basic customer needs of launching s*** in a safe and timely fashion, it's all gonna be irrelevant.

https://twitter.com/george_sowers/statu ... 4165330944

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Scrubbed due to slower than expected loading of LOX. I guess they will need to revise the procedures and might take few days before next attempt.

Maui, is understandable to be pissed off, but considering the sheer complexity of what they have achieved in the last 3 years i don't think we can complain.
Customers in general will not care for few days or even a month delay as long as the chances of delivering the payload to orbit increase of even 1 %.
Last edited by Giorgio on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

It's an issue I've mentioned before. Satellite launchers can understand a window of a few weeks to get optimal results, but when you hit the bigger market, people who schedule time off work for their space vacation, used to airlines running in all but the most severe weather, you're going to have to vastly improve your ability to launch on time.

I don't get the LOX thing though. Are they still working on the process for that? I'd have thought they'd know how long fueling the rocket takes for a while now.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

kunkmiester wrote:It's an issue I've mentioned before. Satellite launchers can understand a window of a few weeks to get optimal results, but when you hit the bigger market, people who schedule time off work for their space vacation, used to airlines running in all but the most severe weather, you're going to have to vastly improve your ability to launch on time.

I don't get the LOX thing though. Are they still working on the process for that? I'd have thought they'd know how long fueling the rocket takes for a while now.
They are now pre- chilling the fuel and oxidizer to fit more fuel into the same tank volume and I guess that process still has some minor issues.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

kunkmiester wrote:It's an issue I've mentioned before. Satellite launchers can understand a window of a few weeks to get optimal results, but when you hit the bigger market, people who schedule time off work for their space vacation, used to airlines running in all but the most severe weather, you're going to have to vastly improve your ability to launch on time.
I agree, but that's the future when the market will be mature. Right now we are still in early stage of development of commercial passenger market for space.

In the early days of transoceanic flights there was several attempts from several companies before the right model of business and the right procedures was identified. Those first flights was scheduled once every week or more, and it was not uncommon for a flight to be cancelled or moved of few days. As companies built experience the service improved. That's the standard way in which all markets develop.

For now I suggest we just sit and enjoy Spacex success and failures. We are witnessing history after all and this is something that in the future (once commercial space flight will become the norm) many people will envy us for.
Last edited by Giorgio on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.