SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Re: SpaceX News

Post by Tom Ligon »

And the judges give it ... another perfect 10.0.

Well, honestly, isn't it time the judges up their scoring criteria? This business of sticking the landing dead center is getting to be sooooo boring! Shouldn't there be extra points for doing a double back flip half twist on the way down?

Of course, the whole business plan is to make it boring.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The dirt landings are getting pretty boring, and on plan.
The high energy boosts requiring at distance maritime landings are still sporty!

I too would love to see some excess landing fuel mass burned off using 'weight management maneuvers'!

:)
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

jcoady

Post by jcoady »

Check out the close up video of the landing in this video recap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXyQh_UFR2m/

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

What a clear day! And the cameras are getting better every time. I really loved the 1st Stage Separation video from the ground. First time I have seen it from that angle. VERY COOL! If it weren't for thin/almost no air at that point, it would certainly come apart. It also makes one wonder about internal inertial transition based stresses in the design basis.

Thanks!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Maui

Post by Maui »

ladajo wrote:I too would love to see some excess landing fuel mass burned off using 'weight management maneuvers'!
:)
Well, if that was ever going to happen, it would be the next launch: 475 kg to LEO. (Contrast that with July's launch of 6,761 kg to GTO). Heck, maybe they'd even have enough fuel left for a touch-and-go or to buzz the tower!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Tom Ligon wrote:boring.
ladajo wrote:boring
Cue FH flight as boring as watching early drone ship "landings" 8)
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

For a commercial tech we want "boring". Leave the exciting for stuff that hasn't been done properly before.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Was too cryptic. FH may also go from exciting to boring. Thus it'll be great for yet another novelty to also be made boring, after FH. And so on.

Exciting times :P
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Took me a minute to connect FH to Falcon Heavy...

:P

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yeah, rocket geeks

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

Betruger wrote:Was too cryptic. FH may also go from exciting to boring. Thus it'll be great for yet another novelty to also be made boring, after FH. And so on.

Exciting times :P
"Daddy, these vacations on the Moon are soooooooo boring. My school friends say Saturn is much cooler!"

and of course, kids on constant 1g trips to Mars

"Are we there yet?"

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I dunno, they just landed on the barge again, dead center, made it look easy.

They need to do some work on their video links, though. Not quite up to ESPN sports cameras.

From their audio feed, about 7 seconds in to the clip I watched, the announcer calls out "Trans-sonic." Touchdown is 40 seconds later. The video clips really don't do the deceleration justice. We get to watch this from a distance with the dirt landings.

For full dramatic effect, hold your breath for the last 40 seconds as it lands, which is probably what a lot of the ground team is doing.

jnaujok

Post by jnaujok »

I'm sorry, to continue a previous line of reasoning, you can't possibly give that landing a perfect 10. There's a mandatory one tenth point deduction with landing with one foot outside the line.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I would have sworn they would try a stage two recovery with a load this light.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

<Yawn>

:P