SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: SpaceX News

Post by GIThruster »

Isn't the long term goal to land the Falcons, both upper and lower stages, in TX where they can be quickly refurbished and relaunched? I was under the impression that's where the facility is for this and where he eventually wants to launch from.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

GIThruster wrote:Isn't the long term goal to land the Falcons, both upper and lower stages, in TX where they can be quickly refurbished and relaunched? I was under the impression that's where the facility is for this and where he eventually wants to launch from.
They will maintain the launch sites at the Cape, in Vandenberg and in Texas and use them for different purposes. Cape will be for NASA missions and crew. Texas will be for commercial missions and potentially future missions to mars with the big MCT rocket. Vandenberg will be for polar orbits (and most DOD missions, I think). All facilities will have landing pads and the rockets are thought to need very little refurbishment between flights (after some practice). The tests to determine how much and how to optimize the procedures will be done using the F9R in McGregor and Spaceport America in New Mexico.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Skipjack wrote:I don't want to see the renter insurance on that.
"No, we won't rent you a barge for =that=. We will sell you the barge and buy it back afterwards if it's still in one piece, for sale price minus what the rental would be."
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

A barge landing plan seems to be last resort. After all, not only would there be weather related launch limits, but sea state limits as well. The launch window could get MIGHTY tight!

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Bad conditions could prevent them from landing but I doubt they'd make the launch depend on it.
They could learn a thing or two from trying a pinpoint splashdown in poor weather.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Teahive wrote:Bad conditions could prevent them from landing but I doubt they'd make the launch depend on it.
They could learn a thing or two from trying a pinpoint splashdown in poor weather.
They already did that with CRS- 3

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

https://twitter.com/Rand_Simberg/status ... 5214645248
Talked to Gwynne yesterday and she confirmed that they're working permission on flyback, but next landing will be on a barge.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Betruger wrote:https://twitter.com/Rand_Simberg/status ... 5214645248
Talked to Gwynne yesterday and she confirmed that they're working permission on flyback, but next landing will be on a barge.
Interesting! Lets hope that this does not cause delays to their already delay plagued launches. Right now launch frequency seems to be their biggest issue.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

Skipjack wrote:Interesting! Lets hope that this does not cause delays...
Why would it? Are you imagining some mid-Atlantic touchdown? Different time zone, different weather?

The smart move would be to place the barge as close to the launch site as is feasible.

The barge would share much the same weather as the launch pad.

And if the rocket is good to launch in a particular set of conditions it should be good to land in those same conditions.
Skipjack wrote:... to their already delay plagued launches.
Plagued?

It seems that Spacex is dealing quite well with the tech issues that come up and nobody can do much about weather scrubs yet.
Last edited by zapkitty on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I understand their launch delay problems are in large part on account of launch site availability. If they have a problem that takes a few hours to fix they may need to wait several days for a new launch window.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

zapkitty wrote: Why would it? Are you imagining some mid-Atlantic touchdown? Different time zone, different weather?
Well, they did have pretty tall waves when they launched CRS3, if I remember correctly (18 foot, or so). They were high enough that the recovery ship could not make it there. I cant imagine them successfully landing a rocket on a barge sitting on 18 foot waves.
zapkitty wrote: The smart move would be to place the barge as close to the launch site as is feasible.
I agree with that, but 50 or so miles out, the waves can already be pretty high.
zapkitty wrote: The barge would share much the same weather as the launch pad.
And if the rocket is good to launch in a particular set of conditions it should be good to land in those same conditions.
See above.
zapkitty wrote:
Skipjack wrote:... to their already delay plagued launches.
Plagued?
It seems that Spacex is dealing quite well with the tech issues that come up and nobody can do much about weather scrubs yet.
They are way behind their own schedule, which probably was a bit too optimistic to begin with. Still, they did have a lot of delays the last few launches.
hanelyp wrote:I understand their launch delay problems are in large part on account of launch site availability. If they have a problem that takes a few hours to fix they may need to wait several days for a new launch window.
They had several other issues too, that were actually technical problems on their side, like a helium leak and contamination on the dragon capsule.
Anyway, I am not saying that this is a showstopper or anything, but they do have to increase their launch rate. Reusability requires a certain launch rate in order to truly lower the cost.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

Skipjack wrote:I cant imagine them successfully landing a rocket on a barge sitting on 18 foot waves.
Ah, I get what you mean now but you've placed the cart before the horse... the landing test would not drive the launch decision. If the weather is otherwise go for launch then impassable seas shouldn't affect the launch at all.

And should such high seas cause SpaceX to abort the experimental landing attempt then all that would be lost is a launcher that's already been bought and paid for... as an expendable :)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

zapkitty wrote:
Skipjack wrote:I cant imagine them successfully landing a rocket on a barge sitting on 18 foot waves.
Ah, I get what you mean now but you've placed the cart before the horse... the landing test would not drive the launch decision. If the weather is otherwise go for launch then impassable seas shouldn't affect the launch at all.

And should such high seas cause SpaceX to abort the experimental landing attempt then all that would be lost is a launcher that's already been bought and paid for... as an expendable :)
I am not sure that changing the flight plan on such a short notice is that easy, but I might be wrong. It will definitely be interesting. Anyway, I am surprised they are doing the barge landing thing. I would not have bothered.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Won't they need some extra barges for the cows?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

mvanwink5 wrote:Won't they need some extra barges for the cows?
Floaties.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.