NIF project status

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jcoady

NIF project status

Post by jcoady »

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

I was wondering when they were finally going to publish their April status update. I wonder if the timing of the update has anything to do with this:
A NIF Facility Maintenance and Reconfiguration period began on April 25 and was scheduled to continue until May 15. The NIF team's goal is to upgrade NIF's peak power to 500 trillion watts in preparation for this summer's experiments.
Does this mean NIF is now fully armed and operational? :shock:
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

May status update is now online. Maintenance and configuration was completed on May 18. NIF is operational again, presumably now with the ability to operate at 500 trillion watts.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

So, burger grilling is 'Go!'.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

doesnt it have to be covered in gold?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Only if you are simulating nuclear warhead detonation.

If you're just grillin' burgers, not needed.

Did I mention the covert funding from McDonalds? They don't normally do thick burgers, because of the required cook time. 5e14 W will speed things up.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

come on now, dont be mean.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

man delta v, arent you a meanie.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Robthebob wrote:man delta v, arent you a meanie.
I'd be more mellow if the NIFmeisters would allocate 0.01% of their budget to (potentially) practical fusion schemes like Polywell.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

we work with what we've given. Indeed beam compression is not very practical, but from the limited exposure I have of the scheme, it seems like beam compression is closer to getting there than toroidal magnetic confinement.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

While I admire the technological achievement of NIF, I have to prioritize, given the limited time remaining for the US on its current path.

How much further along would Polywell be now if just 1/10000 of NIF's ~$5,000,000,000 cost had been allocated to EMC2 while Bussard was still alive?

About $500,000, or 3 scientist-years, in 'now' $. 10 scientist-years in 'then' $.

The "Eureka!" moment (rounding and separation of magrid coil casings) might have occurred years sooner, and we might by now be debating the finer points of WB-D design and commenting on a Navy shakedown cruise of a prototype Polywell-powered ship.

There isn't much time left for chump-change funding. Money brings speed, if given to the right people.

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

DeltaV wrote:There isn't much time left for chump-change funding. Money brings speed, if given to the right people.
The trouble is how the right people are selected. You can go with the guy who's well-connected and knows how to work politicians, or you can go with the guy who was brilliant back in the day but had all sorts of crazy Sci-Fi ideas.

When it comes to politicians doling out the bucks for Buck Rogers, who's gonna see the dough?
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.