Practical space-time crystals

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

The is kind of beyond my understanding. Although it does seem like it would violate some kind of conservation. I mean, to be period in time is it blinking in and out of existence? I don't understand.
Carter

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Periodic in time just means returning to the same spatial configuration (3D, or 2D in the paper) at regular time intervals.

So you might find some sort of space-time analogies to spatial diffraction of wavefronts, resonance, etc.

martwc

Practical Space-Time Crystals

Post by martwc »

Does Thiotimolene crystallize, if so what is its structure? It cannot be face-centered cubic, it must be a face-centered tesseract.

MSimon

Re: Practical space-time crystals

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

DeltaV

Re: Practical space-time crystals

Post by DeltaV »

So, referenced to a spatially nontranslating and nonrotating frame (say, one fixed w.r.t. distant stars, a.k.a. "operationally inertial"), a spatially nontranslating but spatially rotating space-time crystal is periodic both in space (at any instant of time) and in time (at any location in space through which any part of the crystal rotates).

Referenced to a frame fixed to the spatially-rotating arrangement of ions (rotating w.r.t. distant stars, thus non-inertial), a space-time crystal is periodic only in space and static (aperiodic) in time.