DU Talks Polywell

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

DU Talks Polywell

Post by MSimon »

With a link back to Talk-Polywell.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12287022
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Sublinks from there yields that we are "InfoSharks". I feel some meaure of pride...and concern...but mostly a measure of pride...I think...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:Sublinks from there yields that we are "InfoSharks". I feel some meaure of pride...and concern...but mostly a measure of pride...I think...
Well a LOT of the folks hanging out here are on the political right (as far as they are concerned I qualify) so I'm going with Pride.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Still some Polywell echoes at dailykos.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/0 ... ean-Energy
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:Still some Polywell echoes at dailykos.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/0 ... ean-Energy
Note that our very own Roger Fox makes an appearance in the comments.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

Talk of the Polywell at DU would only be useful for entertainment value.

When the deep ecologists get out the long knives for anyone who shows any enthusiasm.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Occulus

Post by Occulus »

TDPerk wrote:Talk of the Polywell at DU would only be useful for entertainment value.

When the deep ecologists get out the long knives for anyone who shows any enthusiasm.
I've been a member of DU for, well, forever. In my experience- and having started threads on this subject over there myself- people who still hold to core liberal and progressive values want fusion power just as badly as anyone here. This project isn't a left/right issue and should never be cast as such.

That said, if you wanted to start erasing the divisions between the left and the right, development of fusion power would be a place to start.

The Polywell project always seems to receive favorable opinion as far as I've been able to tell. A few people over there don't like the military relationship the project has, but they're not numerous and very much in the minority.
"I think we can put our differences behind us.... for science.

You monster."

-GLADOS

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Occulus wrote:
TDPerk wrote:Talk of the Polywell at DU would only be useful for entertainment value.

I've been a member of DU for, well, forever. In my experience- and having started threads on this subject over there myself- people who still hold to core liberal and progressive values want fusion power just as badly as anyone here. This project isn't a left/right issue and should never be cast as such.

That said, if you wanted to start erasing the divisions between the left and the right, development of fusion power would be a place to start.

The Polywell project always seems to receive favorable opinion as far as I've been able to tell. A few people over there don't like the military relationship the project has, but they're not numerous and very much in the minority.
It was a bad day the political door ever got opened over here. The site was better before the bickering started.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Roger

Post by Roger »

Occulus wrote:

And occasionally the stereotypes do get put aside, and sometimes not:
Occulus (19,055 posts)
10. They seem to think we don't want fusion power.

I know I differ on that; humanity badly needs fusion.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12287022#post10
When ever I post about Polywell at Daily Kos or at DU, the response is at a minimum 99% favorable. I find it more likely someone will cite Todd Rider as to why Polywell will thermalize, writing Polywell off, than people complaining about the military funding.

If someone wants ignore the overall favorability and hope of success for Polywell on the left side of the isle, and believe in some fantasy stereotype that doesn't exist- they do so to their own detriment.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:
Occulus wrote: That said, if you wanted to start erasing the divisions between the left and the right, development of fusion power would be a place to start.
And occasionally the stereotypes do get put aside, and sometimes not:
Occulus (19,055 posts)
10. They seem to think we don't want fusion power.

I know I differ on that; humanity badly needs fusion.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12287022#post10
When ever I post about Polywell at Daily Kos or at DU, the response is at a minimum 99% favorable. I find it more likely someone will cite Todd Rider as to why Polywell will thermalize, writing Polywell off, than people complaining about the military funding.

If someone wants ignore the overall favorability and hope of success for Polywell on the left side of the isle, and believe in some fantasy stereotype that doesn't exist- they do so to their own detriment.
Roger - I only vist KOS and DU to look around (usually when they post a fusion article) and I'd have to agree with your assessment. The reaction is generally hopeful. And generally one or two pop up (whose names I haven't seen before) who are fairly deep into the subject. Our educational efforts have paid dividends.

It does seem to transcend politics.

Occulus

Post by Occulus »

Roger wrote: And occasionally the stereotypes do get put aside, and sometimes not:
Oh, my "they" pithlet was reserved for the person above who said
and one person really isn't much of a "they", now, is it?

I will agree that it seems from past experience the people at DU and Kos (and in particular DU's Science forum) are quite receptive to the Polywell project. If you consider their snarky "always 20 years from now" approach to fusion power in general (and, ye gods, even solar and wind!), that's pretty remarkable!

I don't have the scientific or professional background to do a very long a detailed posting about it at either of those sites, but I think we would find that, were such a thread posted, it would be a fairly hopeful discussion on the merits of the project.

You monster."

-GLADOS

Occulus

forum burped and posted twice

Post by Occulus »

Oops!

You monster."

-GLADOS