Nanosheet catalyst splits hydrogen from water.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Nanosheet catalyst splits hydrogen from water.

Post by Diogenes »

Nanosheet catalyst discovered to sustainably split hydrogen from water

Now, scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Brookhaven National Laboratory have developed a new electrocatalyst that addresses one of these problems by generating hydrogen gas from water cleanly and with much more affordable materials. The novel form of catalytic nickel-molybdenum-nitride – described in a paper published online May 8, 2012 in the journal Angewandte Chemie International Edition – surprised scientists with its high-performing nanosheet structure, introducing a new model for effective hydrogen catalysis.

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-nanosheet- ... rogen.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

seedload

Post by seedload »

Very cool.

... and surprisingly, they didn't accidentally create cold fusion.
Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

People tend to think of platinum and palladium catalysts, but there are a whole series of transition metals that show catalytic activity of one form or another.

Titanium dioxide semiconductors have also been looked at since the mid-70's for assisting photodissociation of water.

I threw together a cobalt compound and a molybdnium compound to make a cobalt molybdate catalyst for oxidizing hydrogen sulfide to sulfur dioxide, and I'm not a chemist.

Part of the key is the nanostructure, putting the catalytic points in the right geometry. They should be getting better at it these days.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Don't show it to Rossi. He will claim it was his idea, and that they are SNAKES!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)