Radially-Magnetized, Permanent Magnet, Multi-Grid Fusor

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Radially-Magnetized, Permanent Magnet, Multi-Grid Fusor

Post by DeltaV »

This has been mentioned somewhere here in the past:
MAGNETIC CORE MULTI-GRID IEC CONCEPT USING p-11B
I seem to recall an earlier MIT connection?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

This does sound really interesting and promising!

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Think nothing of it. I didn't remember it either and I posted the stuff. I find that what ever I'm not focusing my attention on fades. I'm no longer the CPM expert I once was. Heck. DOS is fading.

And OH. Yeah. I frequently have "senior moments". Thank the Maker for Google. It helps.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Dig it. I find my DOS, Harris VOS, VAX VMS, etc. commands merging into an indistinguishable amorphous mass.

TimTruett

Re: Radially-Magnetized, Permanent Magnet, Multi-Grid Fusor

Post by TimTruett »

Sedwick is apparently now at the University of Maryland (http://www.umerc.umd.edu/projects/plasma-06). This page also mentions Nebel, who used to be with EMC2, and his approach.

The first post in this thread connects Sedwick and T.J. McGuire in the document's first reference. Is T.J. McGuire the Tom McGuire who has been mentioned as the inventor of the purported Lockheed-Martin fusion machine?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Yes.

TheRadicalModerate

Post by TheRadicalModerate »

From the paper:
A more substantial method of mitigation is to confine the electrons with an appropriately shaped magnetic field. Such a field has been implemented by Bussard in his PolywellTM “cusped” field configuration, where the fields are generated electromagnetically. The magnetic fields necessary to properly confine the high energy electrons require a substantial current, so instead a grid constructed of rare Earth magnetic material is proposed, as shown conceptually in Figure 3. Unlike an electrically generated cusped field, where null lines permit leakage out of the system, the configuration shown here has no nulls. The material is radially magnetized, so that field lines start at the outer surface, bend back through the openings and then terminate on the inner surface, providing magnetic plugs in each hole.
The associated Figure 3 looks like they're using multiple concentric wiffleball-shaped magnets doing double duty as the electrode grids.

Anybody have an opinion on what they're claiming about the magnetic field makes any sense? Seems like you've still got point cusps in the center of each hole, but you wouldn't have edge or funny cusps.

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

It seems like each hole is physically identical to a current loop. If you look at the bound current in the magnets. I don't know why there would be any difference from an electromagnet.
Carter

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

A Hybrid Particle-in-cell Simulation for a Multiple Grid Magnetic Core Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Device
Andrew M. Chap; Raymond J. Sedwick

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2014-3516