Science magazine article

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

krenshala wrote:I don't have any issue with the small amount of our GNP that gets spent on defense. What I have a problem with is the fact that I loose an extra 20% (or more) of my paycheck due to increased entitlement expenses when compared to a decade ago.

My health insurance costs have more than doubled in the last three years specifically due to the federalized "requirements" for "better" coverage. I currently pay less for rent each month, and I'd move to someplace with lower rent if I could afford the required start-up fees. My health coverage hasn't changed in over a decade, just how much I'm forced to pay for it. Up until just a few years ago the payments increased roughly in line with inflation, and from my perspective stayed at a relatively constant percentage of my income. For the last three years, however the price hikes directly matched when Government started talking about what must to be provided/covered by the insurers. To quote the interwebs: DO NOT WANT!

Oh, and as for defense spending being bad for the economy, I was Googling for how various countries compare in GNP toward defense (I'm curious to see numbers on how the US's 4.8% rates compared to other countries) and the first article I check is shows that defense spending grows the economy.
The author of the paper wrote:Contrary to my expectations, countries with a heavy defense burden generally had the most rapid rate of growth, and those with the lowest defense burdens tended to show the lowest growth rates. (Incidentally, I mainly used civilian growth--the rate of increase in nondefense output--as the growth index, in order to avoid counting as growht that which was merely an increase in defense expenditures.)
[edit] Ah, found a graphic that shows what I was looking for. Interesting how the Saudis spend more than double the % of GNP the US does on defense.
Interesting chart. It would seem the scale is a bit slewed to enhance the greater the 3% crowd, and portray the rest as "green" countries.
I would also note that China clocks in around 3%, while it is well known that they are not even near truthful about defense expeditures.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I said that there are a number of countries you are not on good terms with.
If you were not talking about going to war with them, then in the context that was relevant to the discussion how?
Everyone has someone that they are not on good terms with. Some more, some fewer. Not being on good terms with someone is a long shot from waging war with that country.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Skipjack wrote:
I said that there are a number of countries you are not on good terms with.
If you were not talking about going to war with them, then in the context that was relevant to the discussion how?
Everyone has someone that they are not on good terms with. Some more, some fewer. Not being on good terms with someone is a long shot from waging war with that country.
Well lets see. If you are not on good terms with them, then it makes it all the more likely they will mess with you or your friends in some way.
Being messed with doe snot mean a kinetic war. It can surely mean war by other means. It may even include some kinetic events, but no those overtly conventional military (normally).

If you think that Austria has been squeaky clean and completely out of the 'conflicts' the last decades, you are being niave.

I think the part you are not really seeing is the war by other means. You maybe are also not really seeing that you can fight with someone without making 'war' and you can scale your effort regarding the issue at hand.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

If you are not on good terms with them, then it makes it all the more likely they will mess with you or your friends in some way.
Can you please stop talking in riddles? We are not going to have any wars, by any means whether kinetic or otherwise, with anyone.
Austria is probably among the most convenient and least confrontational countries on this planet in regards to its foreign politics. So please come up with some clear examples of what your are talking about. Because I have absolutely no idea.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

<Hands slap forehead>

:?

Dude.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Skipjack wrote:Austria is probably among the most convenient and least confrontational countries on this planet in regards to its foreign politics.
Make a list of the reasons that Austria can afford to have transitioned into being one of the least confrontational countries on the planet and you will certainly come up with:

* Because the US has such a large and capable military.
Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Because the US has such a large and capable military.
Nope, never came to my mind ;)

Post by 303 »

to paraphrase the hitch (rip), 'austria the country that gave us Kurt Waldheim, former secretary-general of the UN, and subsequently wanted for war crimes', locking up David Irving for the potential of saying something unwelcome on austrian soil , violating some austrian law that says only one version of the second world war can be taught in their brave little republic'

'the two great achievements of austria.... to have convinced the world that Hitler was german and Beethoven viennese'!!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

'the two great achievements of austria.... to have convinced the world that Hitler was german and Beethoven viennese'!!
I do actually use that quote quite often myself...
That said, Austria still is nowhere even close to be going to war with anyone.
Oh and you know if you are sitting in a glasshouse, you should not throw stones...

Post by 303 »

Skipjack wrote:
That said, Austria still is nowhere even close to be going to war with anyone.
too busy running your little dungeons beneath your houses?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

My kids watched "The sound of music" today. My 8 yr old asked if they shot the Nuns for helping the family escape. Never thought of that.

Happy times.

So Skip, when is your next vacation in Iran or DPRK? Or are you going to spend the EU closure for August in Syria? I here the beaches are really nice there then. Since you government is friends with everyone, travel arrangements should be a snap.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

My kids watched "The sound of music" today. My 8 yr old asked if they shot the Nuns for helping the family escape. Never thought of that.
That was what, 70 years ago? Pretty much noone who was not a little child during these days is alive anymore.
And if we look back far enough, we can find plenty of dirt on everyone, hu?
So Skip, when is your next vacation in Iran or DPRK? Or are you going to spend the EU closure for August in Syria? I here the beaches are really nice there then. Since you government is friends with everyone, travel arrangements should be a snap.
There is a huge difference between not being stupid enough to go on a vacation in a foreign country full of idiots and crazies and starting a war with them, or being in the danger of them starting a war with you. But I guess that this concept never occurred to you, hu?
too busy running your little dungeons beneath your houses?
Too busy shooting kids and beating up old people over that?

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Skipjack, your country has been/is at war, in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL32105.pdf

$5.4 million in monetary support and provided police trainers in Iraq

http://www.isaf.nato.int/troop-numbers- ... /index.php

3 troops in Afghanistan currently.

Your country is part of the war, albeit small, but still part of it.

Those living in glass houses should not throw stones.

CDR Glenn Brown
U.S. Navy
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

seedload

Post by seedload »

The irony of this conversation is that Skipjack again gets involved where he doesn't belong, commenting on how crappy the US is, this time for spending too much on it's military.

Then he maintains that Austria is great because it doesn't get involved in conflicts (anymore) while he is not willing to admit that one of the main reasons this is even possible is because of what he was originally complaining about - that the US has such a large and capable military.

It is a peculiar circular argument. Why do I feel like Horton in "Horton hears a Who" even listening to it?

And...

Thank you, Commander Brown, for your service.

Regards.
Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

ltgbrown wrote:Skipjack, your country has been/is at war, in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL32105.pdf

$5.4 million in monetary support and provided police trainers in Iraq

http://www.isaf.nato.int/troop-numbers- ... /index.php

3 troops in Afghanistan currently.

Your country is part of the war, albeit small, but still part of it.

Those living in glass houses should not throw stones.

CDR Glenn Brown
U.S. Navy
I have read your planning paper. Interesting.