Room temperature Superconductivity claimed.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Room temperature Superconductivity claimed.

Post by Giorgio »

It had to arrive sooner or later and what could have been a better year than 2011 with all its amazing energy-breakthrough claims going on?

Via Nextbigfuture, Joe Eck at Superconductors.org claims Room Temperature Superconductor!
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/12/joe-ec ... laims.html

Direct link to Superconductor.org:
http://www.superconductors.org/28c_rtsc.htm

I haven't read nor I will have time to read anything about this for the next couple of weeks, so feel free to give it a look and post any meaningful info.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

IIRC, Joe Eck publishes all his results and processes for everyone to reproduce. So I would certainly not put him in the same boat with the alleged "energy revolutioaries"

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Not my intention at all.
I am just amused by the fact that these last months of 2011 are getting filled of so many amazing claims.

To be clear, I have great respect for Joe's work and openness in providing all the details of his experiments so that anyone can attempt to replicate them.
The guy has the attitude of the real scientist, but we all know that the devil hides in the details.
Anyhow, the claim is so important that I think it will not be long before someone will attempt to replicate it and tell us if he is right or where his experiment took the wrong turn.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is either the end of the world or the age of amazing claims.

Gandalf

Re: Room temperature Superconductivity claimed.

Post by Gandalf »

From the article: "RESEARCH NOTE: The copper-oxides are strongly hygroscopic. All tests should be performed immediately after annealing."

Room temperature superconductivity has been repeatedly observed in the past. One of you with current journal access should be able to find a Japanese paper from the late 80's where above room temperature Tc was observed in BSCCO - which so confused the Japanese lab that they spent months debugging their instrumentation, only to conclude the only way they were going to get a specific sample to show a Tc transition was to heat it.

I repeated this in the university materials lab that I worked in at the time and observed Meissner effect at room temperature in bulk powders, not pressed into a pellet. This effect was seen to diminish gradually over a 10 minute period. The Japanese lab had done such an excellent job pressing their pellet that they kept water and air from degrading some unstable superconducting phase. After many months, however, this wonder pellet did degrade and it's Tc dropped to something around 80 k.

I'm not trying diminish Joe's work, but he's far from the first to observer room temperature Tc.

Giorgio wrote:It had to arrive sooner or later and what could have been a better year than 2011 with all its amazing energy-breakthrough claims going on?

Via Nextbigfuture, Joe Eck at Superconductors.org claims Room Temperature Superconductor!
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/12/joe-ec ... laims.html

Direct link to Superconductor.org:
http://www.superconductors.org/28c_rtsc.htm

I haven't read nor I will have time to read anything about this for the next couple of weeks, so feel free to give it a look and post any meaningful info.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Ladajo clued me in to a method of making LN2 at home, although I presently have access to a good supply. I've been interested in trying copper oxide LN2 superconductors. This might be a fun sideline.

Maintaining the superconductor in a vacuum should keep it dry. For most of us, that's the interesting environment anyway.

Sure would simplify superconducting magnets for home users if we could skip the LN2, but it would also be a huge benefit for commercial applications. How hard could it be to encase the superconductor in a dry environment?

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Reviewing the report, they are using Hall effect magnetometers. I've got a little experience with Honeywell magnetoresistive bridges, more appropriate for low magnetic fields (they are used for electronic compasses and can be work in the 100 nT range, plus they are available as triaxial devices).

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Sounds like super conductive grains in the material matrix rather than bulk superconductivity. Needs work before you could build a coil out of it.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Absolutely, maybe only one percent of the material is working, and it degrades with time. If we trust this report (we know the source) then this is a real phenomenon with a lot of room for improvement. In other words, somebody ought to find this to be a worthwhile endeavour.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Gandalf wrote:
Very interesting. Was no one able to reproduce this at the time?
ladajo wrote:It is either the end of the world or the age of amazing claims.
You know, I've been thinking we've been stuck on a technological plateau for a bit, maybe this is the start of the curve bending up again.
Tom Ligon wrote:Maintaining the superconductor in a vacuum should keep it dry. For most of us, that's the interesting environment anyway.
http://xkcd.com/669/
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

You know, I sometimes have similar thoughts. Especially after yesterday. I made another visit to MIT's Lincoln Labs, spent the day being absolutely amazed at some of the very cool stuff we are doing here in the States across a number of disciplines.
I really like going there, always incredibly cool stuff. The bad guys should be worried.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:You know, I sometimes have similar thoughts. Especially after yesterday. I made another visit to MIT's Lincoln Labs, spent the day being absolutely amazed at some of the very cool stuff we are doing here in the States across a number of disciplines.
I really like going there, always incredibly cool stuff. The bad guys should be worried.
The only point I am afraid of is that budget cuts will normally hit the most advanced research areas before anything else.
Dunno what the situation in USA is, but in Europe is becoming every month more sad and depressing.

Did you see anything o near term application in your visit?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Giorgio wrote:
ladajo wrote:You know, I sometimes have similar thoughts. Especially after yesterday. I made another visit to MIT's Lincoln Labs, spent the day being absolutely amazed at some of the very cool stuff we are doing here in the States across a number of disciplines.
The only point I am afraid of is that budget cuts will normally hit the most advanced research areas before anything else.
Dunno what the situation in USA is, but in Europe is becoming every month more sad and depressing.

Did you see anything o near term application in your visit?
This explains part of why Europe is in trouble:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/shadow-re ... y-solution

And the previous article which explains the ground (as in environment).

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/why-uk-tr ... anks-jeffe
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I knew that CDS was a big issue, but I wasn't imaging something like what the article describes.
If those figures are true the situation is hardly recoverable...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Giorgio wrote:I knew that CDS was a big issue, but I wasn't imaging something like what the article describes.
If those figures are true the situation is hardly recoverable...
It will take a long time. But the good thing is that the knowledge and equipment acquired in the interval of "prosperity" is not going away. Esp. the knowledge.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.