Fusion Vice

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Fusion Vice

Post by MSimon »

For years, US researchers have been steadfast in their support of ITER, the world’s largest fusion-energy experiment, which is under construction near Cadarache, France. But with funding commitments to ITER now putting the squeeze on three existing facilities in the United States, enthusiasm for the international project is becoming as difficult to sustain as a fusion reaction.

“I think we should ask whether this is the right path,” Earl Marmar, head of the Alcator C-Mod fusion experiment run by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, told colleagues on 18 July. The venue was a meeting of a US Department of Energy (DOE) group tasked with setting priorities for the non-ITER portion of the US fusion programme.

http://www.nature.com/news/us-fusion-in ... ce-1.11061
Polywell is lucky to be outside the DOE.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

lol, before when there were enough money to go around everyone was like "yeah go ITER."

Now, there's not enough money to go around, everyones like "yeah... I dont know if this is the right thing to do..."

I like your style.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think that there would still be enough money for this, but it is currently wasted elsewhere...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Robthebob wrote:lol, before when there were enough money to go around everyone was like "yeah go ITER."

Now, there's not enough money to go around, everyones like "yeah... I dont know if this is the right thing to do..."

I like your style.
;-)
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Re: Fusion Vice

Post by ladajo »

MSimon wrote:
For years, US researchers have been steadfast in their support of ITER, the world’s largest fusion-energy experiment, which is under construction near Cadarache, France. But with funding commitments to ITER now putting the squeeze on three existing facilities in the United States, enthusiasm for the international project is becoming as difficult to sustain as a fusion reaction.

“I think we should ask whether this is the right path,” Earl Marmar, head of the Alcator C-Mod fusion experiment run by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, told colleagues on 18 July. The venue was a meeting of a US Department of Energy (DOE) group tasked with setting priorities for the non-ITER portion of the US fusion programme.

http://www.nature.com/news/us-fusion-in ... ce-1.11061
Polywell is lucky to be outside the DOE.
Yup.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)