Any polywell news?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

emc3

Post by emc3 »

Good to know that.

and better to know more, Tom.

javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Tom Ligon wrote:The one little tidbit I'll offer is that they no longer leave their garage bay door open. Evidently some people were nosy!

Other than that, I'll say it is really shiny.

And that's all you get from me.
:roll: :twisted:

kttopdad

Post by kttopdad »

CaptainBeowulf wrote:I found the Bockscar to be very shiny when I visited the USAF museum in Dayton. Literally, shiny, even more than a DC-3, but maybe I haven't seen any really shiny DC-3s.

Don't Deloreans come up on Ebay and similar sites every once in a while? I wonder how much restoring one would cost...
The DeLorean Motor Corporation world headquarters is in Humble, Texas (North Houston suburbs). I drive past it every day. They just announced production of an electric-ified DeLorean in the last couple of months. THAT would be cool to own! It'll be available in a couple of years. I don't believe they still "produce" any of the old IC vehicles, but they have the largest collection of DeLorean parts in the world. They can assemble a complete car from the parts bins, and have done so in the past for collectors.

Cheers
Dean

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As I recall, when Delorean went Four Paws Up, these guys bought the warehouses and all remaining production stock.
I still wonder if I should have bought the one I looked at back in the 80's. The guy wanted 10K for it.

I recall not being impressed by the Volvo V-6.

Ehh.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

kttopdad wrote:The DeLorean Motor Corporation world headquarters is in Humble, Texas (North Houston suburbs). I drive past it every day. They just announced production of an electric-ified DeLorean in the last couple of months. THAT would be cool to own!
I only want a DeLorean if it is powered by a flux capacitor and/or a Mr Fusion.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Enginerd wrote:
kttopdad wrote:The DeLorean Motor Corporation world headquarters is in Humble, Texas (North Houston suburbs). I drive past it every day. They just announced production of an electric-ified DeLorean in the last couple of months. THAT would be cool to own!
I only want a DeLorean if it is powered by a flux capacitor and/or a Mr Fusion.
Even a superconducting magrid polywell will need what? 30-40 cm to reach net power?

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I've told this story here before. I discovered the hard way one day that PXL-1 was a flux capacitor, but Dr. Bussard would not let me mount it in Dolly's Maserati.

The incident did not cause time travel, but it probably set us back about 2-3 weeks.

The term flux capacitor pretty much describes an electron storage ring, and evidently they cause some pretty interesting effects around the lab when they suddenly lose containment.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

wow, i never thought about it like that, if you have a device that can somehow "store" electrons by having it recirculate perhaps in and out the device, then it would actually be a flux capacitor, lol.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

... and that description fits the basic definition of a Polywell as an electron storage device.

Cue the Twilight Zone music! Or maybe Huey Lewis.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Left the garage door open, so Tom you are confirming the use of LN2, re the Dewer that was seen... ?

Of course youre not, you signed a non disclosure- right.....

BTW the Deloren had electric doors, not good.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

FWIW, the Maserati had electric door locks as well. It took 2A to keep the doors locked.

When Dr. B complained that the locks failed when the car was left parked, the rep said, "Sir, the car is designed to be driven, not parked."

LN2 ... gee, I forget. We used to keep some on hand in the old lab just because every physics lab seems to have LN2 available. One use for it is simply as a source of dry N2 so you don't introduce wet room air when you have to bring a system up to atmospheric pressure. At Va Tech we used a lot of it for cold traps in vacuum systems. Where I work now it is simply a coolant for two calibration tests where mechanical refrigeration systems are contraindicated. The purpose could be quite mundane.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

Roger wrote: BTW the Deloren had electric doors, not good.
Actually, no they didn't. The gull-wing doors were operated by gas shocks just like most common hatch-style vehicles.

My cousin owned two Deloreans at one time, but sold one after using the best part of the two to restore one.

The guys that bought the Delorean warehouses also bought the dies and other equipment used to produce Delorean parts. They are indeed building brand new Deloreans, but somewhere less than 100 per year if I remember correctly. The actual assembly facility is around San Antonio (again if I remember correctly).

Deloreans show up on E-Bay and Craigslist fairly often. They're really neat cars to ride in, but they definitely have their issues. Mostly electrical problems relating to the engine. I've heard that they can be made more reliable by throwing a Wankle or Mazda rotary engine in them.

Not that that has any relevance to the thread topic at all, just thought I'd post what info I have.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Now there is a thought. A turbo triple rotor rotary in a Delorean.

That would have some game. Would need some suspension work, and a brakes upgrade. But, that idea would have some serious potential.

Probably could even get away with the old Mazda 5-speed tranny. It was purdy durable.

Hmmm.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Roger

Post by Roger »

Alchemist

I should have been more specific, electric door locks. A well documented, well known early problem. All Delorean fans know that.

Tom, I was refering to someone who drove by EMC2, and saw thru the open door, a large LN2 dewer- IIRC 4-6 ft tall. Which of course fueled speculation that WB-8 shots were with LN2 cooled coils- RE: robustness.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

jsbiff

Post by jsbiff »

Well, I suppose it's that time again. It's nearly the end of July, 2012. Is anything known of what the results of all the government money spent was? Has there been a single word out of EMC2 in the last year? Weren't we supposed to have public reports long ago?

randomencounter

Post by randomencounter »

I thought the Navy had their hands back in so things were going to be black for a while?