draft report

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jcoady

draft report

Post by jcoady »

Andrea Rossi
October 28th, 2011 at 5:33 PM
HERE IS THE DRAFT OF REPORT OF THE 1 MW E-CAT TEST of October 28th
http://db.tt/wu4OLbgk
PLEASE EXCUSE US FOR THE EVIDENT TYPOS, BUT IT IS PARTIALLY HANDWRITTEN AFTER MIDNIGHT FROM VERY TIRED PERSONS.
WARM REGARDS,
ANDREA ROSSI

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.c ... ent-105421

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Is it safe now to say that the burden of saving the world is no more on polywell's shoulders...only the burden to do it in an elegant way, with major plants not relying on thousands of small boxes being stapled and bundled?

Prego?
stone-bronze-iron-carbon-boron

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Is it safe now to say that the burden of saving the world is no more on polywell's shoulders...
If you ask me, no...

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Why? Of course, polywell is far, far better but didn't we live yesterday still in this world with the oil-peak-world-war looming? If I never knew Bussard's work I would be such happy alone with these small boxes...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Why? Of course, polywell is far, far better but didn't we live yesterday still in this world with the oil-peak-world-war looming?
Well I for one am not convinced of the ecat to the poin that I would say "it is safe to say"
I am feeling better about it now than I did a month ago, but I am by far not 100%. Currently more 60:40...

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

The little I understand the physics in it I think to have understood the following:

The only possibility that the E-Cat does not work would be Mr. Rossi being a smooth criminal who puts some dirty tricks in the black box to fool his investors, take the money and live on close to me in the Carribean...

I looked into his face in the video today - he looks like a good guy.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Having looked into the faces of good guys only to be ripped off by them, I cant say that this is enough.
I for one would rather think self delusion than fraud. That said the possibility of either is getting slimmer with every new test, flawed as they all my be taken by themselves.
I will be fully convinced of this not being fraud once an e- cat is with the university of Bologna for independent testing.
When the client does not return the thing to Rossi because it is not working, I will be convinced that it is not self delusion (because then it can only be fraud with the "client" being in on it)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Emmet wrote:The only possibility that the E-Cat does not work would be Mr. Rossi being a smooth criminal who puts some dirty tricks in the black box to fool his investors, take the money and live on close to me in the Carribean...

I looked into his face in the video today - he looks like a good guy.
You have never been travelling around Naples area, have you?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I was thinking Positano and points south and east or west.

:)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Beautiful area, you really choosed the best places for your time in Italy.
Are you sure that you have been here for work? :D

JD

Post by JD »

Hmm... not sure what to think on this. There's enough vagueness here to keep me from forming an opinion of it's veracity. I actually have no problem with the concept of cold fusion. This Rossi drama is just too much like a bad B movie to instill any warm and fuzzy feelings in me.

He may very well have created something that works, more or less, as advertised but the way the situation was handled still raises red flags.

Why was the large generator left running when they went into autonomous mode? It's been said that the buyer's people were in control and left it running for some vague reason but who the hell were these buyer's people?

Convenient isn't it that the prototype is bought by an undisclosed secret group and spirited away. Why? Corporations monitor their competitors and would sort out PDQ who was involved. If nothing else reputable technicians, engineers and the ambiguous "scientist" working for this secret group would have come from a very small pool of talent that is well known by those involved. So why the skullduggery?

As to the device itself. If it works, and I have no opinion either way, it would have a major impact on fuel usage for heating world wide, probably a decade or more from now. Keep in mind this isn't a new chip that can be slapped onto a board or a new phone toy. It's a piece of industrial hardware that takes time to develop. Ain't no company gonna push something like this out the door until it's nearly idiot proof. They will not expose their selves to flood of liability litigation that could swamp them. The list of potential inertia sources that can slow down the commercialization of such a piece of equipment is pretty long.

Until something is shown different it appears to be capable of generating low grade heat. Ideal for heating and totally sucking at producing motive power for transportation or turbine spinning for electrical generation. Using low grade steam for either function would be a tedious exercise. I would still applaud him though since even low grade heat generation at such a cheap scale would be a great boon for civilization.

I do hope this situation turns out to be on the up and up. I have enough doubts though that I would have never put money into it.