Plasma Wall Interactions

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Plasma Wall Interactions

Post by MSimon »

http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2011/09/Air- ... eractions/
Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology and the University of Alabama have received a $2.5 million grant from the U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) to conduct fundamental research into the ways in which plasmas interact with the walls of the structures containing them. The research will also examine potential improvements to materials used for the walls.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

hypersonic missile heat shields?
Hypersonic AIRCRAFT heat shields?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

research into the ways in which plasmas interact with the walls of the structures containing them

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

just your basic nuclear materials testing. probably for increasing the expected lifespan of a tokamak - a major limiting factor in the economic feasibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Test_Reactor

rcain

Post by rcain »

... when you've given up trying to 'contain' plasma any other way... :evil:

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

rcain wrote:... when you've given up trying to 'contain' plasma any other way... :evil:
lol. if you can't keep the pot from melting, just buy a new one every meal, right?

rcain

Post by rcain »

happyjack27 wrote:
rcain wrote:... when you've given up trying to 'contain' plasma any other way... :evil:
lol. if you can't keep the pot from melting, just buy a new one every meal, right?
perhaps a very thick pot. sacrificial, or reformed/recycled somehow. electrochemically perhaps.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

I wonder if someone could convince to Doctors in charge to use a polywell for the plasma instead of a tokamak? Less capacitors? More likely to receive positive press from Alan Boyle, for example?

Persuade the scientist to use small polywells for more testing purposes....

rcain

Post by rcain »

@bennmann - very good suggestion.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

rcain wrote:
happyjack27 wrote:
perhaps a very thick pot. sacrificial, or reformed/recycled somehow. electrochemically perhaps.
Precisely. At least for the NIF. IF they push to a power producing pulsed laser system and stick with gold horboliums (sp?), they will be vaporizing and to a small extent transmuting ~ a BB sized chunk of gold at up to perhaps a hundred shots per second. This may approximate ~ 1 once of gold per second, or almost $2,000 per second, $ 120,000 per minute or almost $3,000,000 per hr in gold consumption alone. How much of this can be recovered. How much will be deposited on the vessel walls. Removing it will require concentrated nitric acid which will not be kind to the underlieing metal, unless some other clever mechanism can be used. Without high efficiency recycling a couple of plants might burn through the entire worlds gold supply in only a few years. The only substitute high density metal that I speculate might work at lower cost and greater abundance might be lead, silver, tin, tungsten, or even mercury. Uranium , and thorium would have induced radiation problems, Could the system be made to work with a lighter metal such as aluminum, iron, nickel or copper? Osmium or platinum would cost even more than the gold.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:19 pm
rjaypeters wrote:horboliums => Hohlraum?
Dan, Did you write "horboliums" just to get me to respond? :) You are consistent in your humanity, I must say.

Say it after me: "Hole Rowm". Now say it again. Write it a few times, just for fun... :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=2661&start=0
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Precisely. At least for the NIF. IF they push to a power producing pulsed laser system and stick with gold horboliums (sp?), they will be vaporizing and to a small extent transmuting ~ a BB sized chunk of gold at up to perhaps a hundred shots per second. This may approximate ~ 1 once of gold per second, or almost $2,000 per second, $ 120,000 per minute or almost $3,000,000 per hr in gold consumption alone. How much of this can be recovered. How much will be deposited on the vessel walls. Removing it will require concentrated nitric acid which will not be kind to the underlieing metal, unless some other clever mechanism can be used. Without high efficiency recycling a couple of plants might burn through the entire worlds gold supply in only a few years. The only substitute high density metal that I speculate might work at lower cost and greater abundance might be lead, silver, tin, tungsten, or even mercury. Uranium , and thorium would have induced radiation problems, Could the system be made to work with a lighter metal such as aluminum, iron, nickel or copper? Osmium or platinum would cost even more than the gold.
Exactly my view of the situations as well. It is an absolutely ridiculous concept. If you ask me, it is all about the weapons applications of this, not about any serious research into fusion energy. That is just a means to sell it to the gullible public, so they keep the dollars flowing.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

gold horboliums (sp?)
Horriblums? :wink: Vaporizing umpteen precision made pieces for a power reactor strikes me as a horrible idea. The gold should be mostly recoverable. The machining costs would eat you alive.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

...like i said: not economically viable.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

hanelyp wrote:
gold horboliums (sp?)
Horriblums? :wink: Vaporizing umpteen precision made pieces for a power reactor strikes me as a horrible idea. The gold should be mostly recoverable. The machining costs would eat you alive.
A BLOOMING horrible idea. Horriblooms!