R. Nebel at 53rd APS Plasma Physics meeting

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Or he didn't need the government anymore...

rcain

Post by rcain »

ladajo wrote:Or he didn't need the government anymore...
LOL :lol: - strange i often have those same feelings myself

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

:D

Solo

Post by Solo »

Lajado:

Sorry for being snippy. I talked to him at the RFP conference. The gist is that EMC2 is still there w/o him, he's in contact with them, but he's moved on to a different project. He cited personal reasons for his retirement.

Solo

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Solo wrote:Lajado:

Sorry for being snippy. I talked to him at the RFP conference. The gist is that EMC2 is still there w/o him, he's in contact with them, but he's moved on to a different project. He cited personal reasons for his retirement.

Solo
If you are liberty to say and happened to discuss it.... Did he provide any hint at his views on the prospects for success of the polywell in general, and or the efforts being done by emc2 in particular?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Solo
Personal reasons and he moved to a different project......... I find hard to believe that these words are coming from the same Dr. Nebel that was posting on this board 4 years ago.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Solo,
No worries. As for Dr. Nebel, people make personal choices all the time, we may neve know the inside details, but I do find that his retirement from LANL as well as leaving EMC2 indicate that he did make some personal choices, and moved on. Either way, I wish him the best, and appreciate all his efforts with EMC2 under his lead. We certainly can't say that he did not move the project ahead. And as he said to you, they are still there, that is the key point. I take it as a goo dindicateor that they have something to do, and it is something meaningful. I am convinced the navy would drop them like a hot potato if they were not moving ahead. Money is just too tight these days.

Glad you got a chance to talk to him directly. I hope that you found the conversation engaging.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Giorgio wrote:
Personal reasons and he moved to a different project......... I find hard to believe that these words are coming from the same Dr. Nebel that was posting on this board 4 years ago.
It may be as simple as he hated being silenced.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Solo wrote:Lajado: Sorry for being snippy. I talked to him at the RFP conference. The gist is that EMC2 is still there w/o him, he's in contact with them, but he's moved on to a different project. He cited personal reasons for his retirement. Solo
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Hope he hasn't suffered some sort of personal tragedy. I remember how we lost Bussard just as the contract was picked up.

Maybe he'll be back if the contract options are picked up.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

martwc

Post by martwc »

I know this sounds very optimistic but ... what would we expect to see if the WB8 experiment was really successful and pointed the way to something big?
Answer: IMHO exactly what we are seeing. They would build WB100 pronto, and in complete secrecy. How would they go about it? What are we seeing!
1. Its gone very black as expected.
2. The current WB8 experiments are still continuing as expected; the fact that they have happened is undeniable and there are still things to learn from it re ion injection techniques, confinement, fusion rates with different fuels and different well depth, etc. this is important stuff and will feed into WB100 design so will be run by a capable and trusted lieutenant (Park).
4. Dr. Nebel can't simply disappear, that would raise far too many eyebrows. But he has much work to do on WB100, so he leaves LANL and EMC2 and to the outside observer appears to be doing - well, nothing much at all. He needs some sort of project as cover, and he has to evade all questions asked, as he will be under strict orders in this respect.
So personally, I think it's all happening folks. I really hope so.
How did those Italian scientists detect the neutrinos emitted from CERN that they thought were travelling faster than light? Maybe they should aim their neutrino detector down through the planet toward China Lake!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

The way you worded the above, other than in the first couple of sentences, it's not clear that you remember, while in your speculation, that you're only speculating.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

martwc wrote:I know this sounds very optimistic but ... what would we expect to see if the WB8 experiment was really successful and pointed the way to something big?
Answer: IMHO exactly what we are seeing. They would build WB100 pronto, and in complete secrecy. How would they go about it? What are we seeing!
1. Its gone very black as expected.
2. The current WB8 experiments are still continuing as expected; the fact that they have happened is undeniable and there are still things to learn from it re ion injection techniques, confinement, fusion rates with different fuels and different well depth, etc. this is important stuff and will feed into WB100 design so will be run by a capable and trusted lieutenant (Park).
4. Dr. Nebel can't simply disappear, that would raise far too many eyebrows. But he has much work to do on WB100, so he leaves LANL and EMC2 and to the outside observer appears to be doing - well, nothing much at all. He needs some sort of project as cover, and he has to evade all questions asked, as he will be under strict orders in this respect.
So personally, I think it's all happening folks. I really hope so.
How did those Italian scientists detect the neutrinos emitted from CERN that they thought were travelling faster than light? Maybe they should aim their neutrino detector down through the planet toward China Lake!
As a student of the history of covert agencies and plans I like your speculations. Worthy of a good analyst as my former spook friend would say.

True? We will need more evidence.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

martwc

Post by martwc »

Really? I thought the bit where I said "So personally, I think it's all happening folks. I really hope so." made it reasonably clear this is my personal opinion as opposed to verifiable fact. Sorry that wasn't clear enough in the posting.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Let me add that Rick and I used to correspond on a regular basis. Not just fusion but family and kids too. I haven't gotten anything from him in over a year.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

martwc

Post by martwc »

Yes. It is difficult to reconcile the enthusiastic physicist who was posting on these boards a few years ago, with the evasive silent man of today, other than to believe that he is under very strict instructions indeed to stay totally and utterly schtum. Or else.