The Standard Model Imploding?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

KitemanSA wrote:That is odd since it was the French who insisted on the "tonne" spelling. Don't usually have good things to say about the French, but in this case (if those who are SUPPOSED to be SI users would ACTUALLY use SI) there would be a pleasant reduction in confusion.

Why not start now. When you mean 1000kg, write tonne. When you mean 2000 lb, write ton. When you mean 20 cwt, write Long ton (I'd accept l-ton).
As betruger says here in Europe if you are under 50 than you have no other definitions for a ton than 1000 Kg. You get to learn this since elementary school.
I did meet quite a lot of UK and pre SI engineers that used to jump from SI to more obscure units, but that's just something that is disappearing (thank goodness).

rcain

Post by rcain »

KitemanSA wrote:That is odd since it was the French who insisted on the "tonne" spelling. Don't usually have good things to say about the French, but in this case (if those who are SUPPOSED to be SI users would ACTUALLY use SI) there would be a pleasant reduction in confusion.

Why not start now. When you mean 1000kg, write tonne. When you mean 2000 lb, write ton. When you mean 20 cwt, write Long ton (I'd accept l-ton).
seconded.

(also in deference to Giorgio's lineage, we might also give the 'acino', the 'trappesso' and the 'rotolo' a mention - part of the old Neapolitan system of weights :? )

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I found in my time in Italy that the most predominant unit of measure used was "Cosi". :D

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

To make the confusion complete and maybe also more understandable (especially the position of us non native English speakers):
http://www.dict.cc/?s=Tonne

English German
ton <t> Tonne {f} [Massemaß] <t>

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

ladajo wrote:I found in my time in Italy that the most predominant unit of measure used was "Cosi". :D
Hehe

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:To make the confusion complete and maybe also more understandable (especially the position of us non native English speakers):
http://www.dict.cc/?s=Tonne

English German
ton <t> Tonne {f} [Massemaß] <t>
I think that the mayhem is now complete! :wink:

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think that the mayhem is now complete!
Good, then its "mission accomplished"! ;)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Betruger wrote:Sure. But the point is that anytime you heard ton it was almost negligible chance it meant anything but 1000 kg. I can't recall the last time, if ever, that I saw Mg meaning million kg.

I don't mind it myself but it's not intuitive at first glance for probably most people.
Um ... you got that wrong. 1 Mg is not 1 million kg, it is 1 Million grams. I figured Mg would be pretty intuitive for anyone familiar with the metric system.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Betruger wrote: I can't recall the last time, if ever, that I saw Mg meaning million kg.
Never, I hope. Mg is 1000kg, not a million kg. :D

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:I found in my time in Italy that the most predominant unit of measure used was "Cosi". :D
??"Things"?? Sort of like the American "whatsits", 27.3 of which make a thingamabob?

Aero

Post by Aero »

KitemanSA wrote:
Betruger wrote: I can't recall the last time, if ever, that I saw Mg meaning million kg.
I read 1 Mg as one million grams. And yes, one million grams equals 1000 kg.
Aero

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

KitemanSA wrote:
??"Things"?? Sort of like the American "whatsits", 27.3 of which make a thingamabob?
It's Italian slang, you can translate it as "this much".

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

KitemanSA wrote:
Oops, that's what I meant.
krenshala wrote:
Betruger wrote:Sure. But the point is that anytime you heard ton it was almost negligible chance it meant anything but 1000 kg. I can't recall the last time, if ever, that I saw Mg meaning million kg.

I don't mind it myself but it's not intuitive at first glance for probably most people.
Um ... you got that wrong.
Yes
I figured Mg would be pretty intuitive for anyone familiar with the metric system.
No it's not. "Familiar" isn't even close to how carved into our heads the metric system was by age 15. Almost no one has heard of hecto or decameters. Mg is at least that obscure. Stick it into a formal document out of the blue, without a discussion like the one we've had here, and it'll just come off as noise till people figure it out.

It just doesnt seem like a realistic idea unless it's done in major way, IE whatever org's in charge of nomenclature standards adopts it.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Fine, then use "tonne" but leave "ton" to its meaning, 2000 pounds.

If you must SI, then SI dang it and leave us Imperialists alone! :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Giorgio wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
It's Italian slang, you can translate it as "this much".
It is one of my favorite words. Extremely versatile and very much context driven in meaning.