The Standard Model Imploding?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The Authorization Act, which Obama signed, allocated $500M for CCDev this year. And $2.65B for SLS and $1.4B for MPCV. Now along comes Obama with his FY2012 budget request, completely disrespecting the compromise reached between all parties (you know how difficult that is, right?) and slashing SLS/MPCV while jacking up CCDev. (What part of "commercial" didn't you people understand?) So the Senate restored CCDev to its previously-agreed amount and restored a small amount of SLS/MPCV funding - though nowhere near enough to bring it back to baseline (perhaps because they had seen the cost estimates, which are better than expected).
The original plan by the administration was much better, but certain political forces that claim to be libertarian insisted on the SLS in order to keep the shuttle pork flowing. The result is a stupid bill, that is going to hurt US human spaceflight for years to cdme.
What's your opinion of ATK and Astrium's Liberty?
A non starter.
1. It would be too big and too expensive to be a viable option for commercial crew.
2. CCDev is looking for a complete system of launcher and spacecraft. None of the contenders with spacecraft has shown any interest in launching on Liberty.
So Liberty would probably just be able to be an alternative launcher for Orion and then we have Constellation all over again...
It would probably alos be very expensive. I know that ATK claims that they can do it for cheaper, but they always do. It is the usual way of getting fat government contracts that ATK is really good at. You vastly under estimate the real cost and then just overrund and overrun it.
Seen it before.

So naa, not impressed at all by Liberty.
As for the SAA thing, you can't build a contractual relationship on SAAs. They are trying to rework the fixed-price contracting arrangement so as to approximate as closely as possible the freedom afforded by an SAA, without giving up the ability to set requirements at the level they feel is necessary.
I have heard all that before. I dont think that this is quite so true, since it did work quite fine for other things.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

"The original plan by the administration was much better, but certain political forces that claim to be libertarian insisted on the SLS in order to keep the shuttle pork flowing."

Right. Name them, please.

The Libertarians and the libertarians I all hear from are very happy NASA's not in the launcher business, and SPACEx's developments are about what they all expected.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Hutchinson(R), tx, Hatch (R) tx, Shelby (R) Al, etc

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Skipjack wrote:Hutchinson(R), tx, Hatch (R) tx, Shelby (R) Al, etc
Not one of them Libertarian. The proper term is rino, Republican In Name Only. Leading targets for removal by the Tea party in the primaries.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The proper term is rino, Republican In Name Only.
Aha, I guess you can turn and twist it any way you like...

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Libertarian is as libertarian does. The Republican party is no longer the conservative party in America, it just has a few conservatives in it.

The leadership isn't getting the tea party message, so they'll go the way of the Whigs soon.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

EricF

Post by EricF »

Skipjack wrote:
The proper term is rino, Republican In Name Only.
Aha, I guess you can turn and twist it any way you like...
I don't think it is a matter of twisting anything. There are those in the conservative/libertarian camp who actively try to distinguish true conservatives and libertarians within the R party, from those who push a crony capitalist agenda.