ULTRADENSE NUCLEAR FUSION IN METALLIC LITHIUM LIQUID

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Munchausen

ULTRADENSE NUCLEAR FUSION IN METALLIC LITHIUM LIQUID

Post by Munchausen »

A swedish-japanese paper of possible interest?

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=we ... QA&cad=rja

Preface

This report is concerned with research and development on a new fusion scheme, “chemonuclear fusion”. In this scheme, lithium or deuterium ions are implanted in liquid lithium whereby huge reaction rate enhancements, as much as up to 1015 compared to what is expected for a free two-body deuterium-lithium interaction, are obtained. The enhancement is suggested to be a result of nuclear, atomic and chemical reactions taking place cooperatively. Experimental studies on the Li – D chemonuclear fusion is supported financially by the Swedish Energy Agency and were initiated at the Department of Analytical Chemistry, Uppsala University. The results of these initial studies appeared in a Bulletin from the Institute of Chemistry, September 2002: Evidence of Enhanced Non-thermal Nuclear Fusion by Hidetsugu Ikegami and Roland Pettersson and in
Prog. Theo. Phys. Suppl. 2004, 154, 251: Enormous Entropy Enhancement
Revealed in Linked Nuclear and Atomic Li – D Fusion in Metallic Li Liquid by
Hidetsugu Ikegami, Roland Pettersson and Lars Einarsson.
The studies were continued in a collaboration with the R&D Centre, Sakaguchi E.H VOC Co. in Tokyo where a new and modified setup was constructed. Here, besides the Li – D chemonuclear fusion, the Li – Li fusion and the D2 – 2Li molecular chemonuclear fusion were developed.
In 2005 at the R&D Centre, molecular ions D2+ of energies 30keV were implanted on a surface of metallic Li liquid. Product alpha particles were identified and measured by a single solid state detector. The energies were around 7.6MeV corresponding to what would be expected for the reaction 7Li + D → 2·4He + n. Under some conditions of the Li liquid, the reaction rate was intermittently so high that the particle detector was saturated and stopped counting simultaneously with an appreciable temperature rise in the Li liquid. The results were discussed in
March at the University of Tokyo and in October at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, The Royal Swedish Engineering Academy of Sciences and at Uppsala University. This report presents a full description of the results. It also contains more recent results where an additional detector setup, a E E detector provided by the Swedish Energy Agency was used for validation of the results in particular the identity of the alpha particles. It is hoped that this publication will stimulate continued work towards “the third fire”, a name invented by Hidetsugu Ikegami for the presented ideas on an alternative fusion scheme.

Eskilstuna in October 2006
Lars Tegnér
Swedish Energy Agency

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well, this report seems to be from 2006. That means it is 5 years old.
That and the fact that nobody has heard anything about this since, IMHO is a clue that this did not turn out in the end.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

MUNCHAUSEN, COULD YOU PLEASE EDIT THE SUBJECT AND CHANGE IT SO IT IS NOT IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

IT READS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING, WHICH MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT TO READ THIS THREAD OBJECTIVELY!

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

I posted a link to this long time ago.
Its interesting and its not the common cf/lenr stuff.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

dch24 wrote:MUNCHAUSEN, COULD YOU PLEASE EDIT THE SUBJECT AND CHANGE IT SO IT IS NOT IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

IT READS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING, WHICH MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT TO READ THIS THREAD OBJECTIVELY!
Yes. But by way of contrast, I don't think Munchausen was trying to be an ass.
Vae Victis

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Really? I thought titles were frequently all capitals. Caps = shouting is main body netiquet, no?

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

I use caps to EMPHASIZE some points in what I write. I use it as a substitution for underline or bold.

but I guess this is quite off topic :)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I use caps to EMPHASIZE some points in what I write. I use it as a substitution for underline or bold.
Same here.