10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I don't honestly now why they didn't pursue peer review. Could be they just need that much distance between themselves and Mills' theory for their careers' sake. I would note though, that the Rowan report is very direct that they claim to have accounted for all the possible chemical reactions, and that the heat recorded is > 100X what can be accounted for by known chemistry.

http://www.rowan.edu/colleges/engineeri ... paper7.pdf
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Luzr

Post by Luzr »

Skipjack wrote:I could swear I read a press release by BLP, that they were about to sell their reactor to major eletricity providers. That was years ago. Still nothing. If a software company does that with one of their products, the whole industry makes fun of them (think of Duke Nuken Forever) and their product is called "vapor ware".
A little bit off-topic, but, as I actually work in software... What are you smoking? One year is still relatively normal delay here, especially in game industry.

Duke Nuken was not late one year, but something like 10 years. Well, that is the cause of worry. One year late? Nothing...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

It sounds like he might mean that in non-video game software industry, 1 year of delay is as ridiculous as DNF's 10.

parallel

Post by parallel »

I believe tomclarke would be in favor of burning his books.
See http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... sfeed=true

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

A little bit off-topic, but, as I actually work in software... What are you smoking? One year is still relatively normal delay here, especially in game industry.
But BLP is not just ONE year late. They are many YEARS late.
So the comparison is still valid. And I am in the software industry too. And if your software is more than a year late, you DO have a problem.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

parallel wrote:I believe tomclarke would be in favor of burning his books.
See http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... sfeed=true
"At around the same time," he recalls, "I had some exposure to psychedelics, and that opened me up to the idea that consciousness was much richer than anything my physiology lecturers had ever described.
I do not deny that under the influence of psychotropics some thoughts may come which would not come on a sober head. But also the garbage comes and sometimes person permanently lives in a virtual reality. On mine the last is called "schizophrenics". Rossi’s fans also live in virtual reality believing to his claims contrary to the facts. And fact is in that Rossi’s device does not work. And what can change quoting of dog’s telepathic scientists?

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Luzr wrote:
Skipjack wrote:I could swear I read a press release by BLP, that they were about to sell their reactor to major eletricity providers. That was years ago. Still nothing. If a software company does that with one of their products, the whole industry makes fun of them (think of Duke Nuken Forever) and their product is called "vapor ware".

Duke Nuken was not late one year, but something like 10 years. Well, that is the cause of worry. One year late? Nothing...
Duke Nukem was around 14 years late, BLP is around 10-12 years depending on who you ask. Vaporware seems adequate.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Seems to me pretty obvious these arguments are vacuous. Any tech savvy person ought to know the challenges involved in this kind of work make deadlines impossible to predict. I've followed BLP for about 15 years and never seen them make promises they didn't keep. I think people here find it convenient to pretend they have made such promises.

Rather than make such a subjective and empty argument, why not look at the physical evidence? If you want to examine the atmosphere surrounding BLP for evidence, then stubbornly arguing they haven't met deadlines won't get you anywhere. How about instead, look at the kinds of people on their board, who have joined in the last couple years, despite these supposed missed deadlines? What conclusions do you draw from the kinds of people who are continually connecting their names and reputations with BLP? It's not a hard evidence issue, but we are looking at the circumstantial. And let me ask, out of all those casting hasty judgements based on circumstantial evidence, how many of you have CV's that read like these?

SCOTT W. DOYLE

Scott Doyle was elected to the Board of Directors in 2010.

Mr. Doyle is a Partner at the law firm of Shearman & Sterling LLP, and is also the Co-Chair of the firm’s intellectual property litigation practice. He has extensive experience in all phases of complex litigation and has handled cases in trial and appellate courts. In addition, Mr. Doyle has practiced extensively in technology transfer and global patent strategy.

Mr. Doyle has been recognized as one of the top patent litigators in the country by numerous publications. For example, he has been named one of the leading individuals in patent law, Chambers USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers for many years. Since 2008, he has been repeatedly been named a “Super Lawyer” in patent litigation and intellectual property for Washington, DC by Law & Politics. In 2010, Benchmark Litigation 2011 named Mr. Doyle a "Litigation Star" in Washington, D.C. Earlier this decade, Mr. Doyle was named the Intellectual Property “Young Gun” in Washington, D.C. and also a “Leading Lawyer” by the Washington Business Journal.

Before coming back into private practice in 2003, Mr. Doyle was Senior Vice President at Liberty Media / Liberty Broadband and gained extensive experience in leading deals and technology transactions including acquisitions, strategic alliances, and joint ventures in the digital media and broadband space. As an electrical engineer, prior to practicing law, he helped design and develop next-generation military satellite communication systems. Mr. Doyle was awarded a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from Virginia Tech in 1984, a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from George Washington University in 1988, a Juris Doctorate from George Mason University, School of Law in 1993, and a Master of Law Degree with Highest Honors and a concentration in Intellectual Property Law from George Washington University in 1997. Currently, Mr. Doyle is enrolled in the executive MBA program at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University.

H. MCINTYRE GARDNER

H. McIntyre “Mac” Gardner was elected to the Board of Directors in 2010.

Mr. Gardner was the head of Merrill Lynch’s Private Client business in the Americas and also the Global Bank Group within the firm's Global Wealth Management Group until early 2008. As head of Private Client Americas, Mac was responsible for the region’s extensive network of more than 600 advisory offices; private banking and investment services to ultra-high net worth clients; the group's middle markets business; investment and insurance products; distribution and business development; and corporate and diversified financial services.

For the Global Bank Group, Mr. Gardner was Chairman of Merrill Lynch Bank USA and responsible for Merrill Lynch’s consumer and commercial banking and cash management products. This included distribution and sales of all bank products and services primarily delivered into the marketplace through Financial Advisors. These activities encompassed retail deposit products and services, credit and debit cards, commercial cash management, residential mortgage lending, securities-based/small business/high-net-worth structured/middle-market lending, and community development lending and investing.

Mr. Gardner’s 13-year career at Merrill Lynch also included roles in strategy, Finance Director for the corporation, and as an investment banker specializing in high yield finance, mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructuring.

Mr. Gardner has also served as the principal of a financial advisory services firm and as the president of two consumer products companies. He serves on the North American Strategic Advisory Board of Oliver Wyman and he is President of the Board of Trustees at the Princeton Charter School.

A resident of Princeton, New Jersey, Mr. Gardner is a 1983 graduate of Dartmouth College, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in religion.
JOHN J. GILLEN

Mr. Gillen was elected to the Board of Directors in 2010.

Mr. Gillen was an audit partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers having spent over 20 years providing audit, tax and advisory services to numerous public companies both domestic and multi-national. In addition to being the lead partner on many of the firms largest regulated energy clients, he also served in numerous leadership roles including; Chairman of the firms regulated industry practice, local office Managing Partner, leader of the Philadelphia Consumer and Industrial Products practice. He was responsible for signing the audit opinion on numerous filings before the Securities and Exchange Commission, (SEC), and other regulatory agencies.

Mr. Gillen also spent four years as the Chief Financial Officer at Dayton Power and Light Company. In this capacity he had responsibility for all aspects of financial reporting and compliance which included; accounting, treasury, financial planning, internal audit and all areas of SEC reporting and SOX compliance. During Mr. Gillen’s tenure he made numerous presentations before the investment community and shareholders. In addition to his financial responsibilities Mr. Gillen was also responsible for the areas of Supply Chain Management and Information Technology.

Mr. Gillen spent most of the past two years as the Global Director of Finance at Towers Perrin, a professional services firm, primarily engaged in the delivery of actuarial services, until their recent acquisition by Watson Wyatt. His responsibilities at Towers Perrin included; Mergers and Acquisitions, Treasury, Financial Planning, Internal Audit and Risk Management.

Mr. Gillen was awarded a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Widener University. He is a non-practicing Certified Public Accountant and a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.

SVERRE PRYTZ

Sverre Prytz was elected to the Board of Directors in April 2010.

Mr. Prytz is a Senior Vice President at BW Group, one of the world's leading and private maritime groups headquartered in Singapore. BW is the merger of Bergesen d.y. and World-Wide Shipping and today owns and operates the world's largest fleet of gas carriers. BW is also a leading player in the transportation of crude, as well as a technology provider to the oil industry through BW Offshore. Based in Singapore, Mr. Prytz is responsible for BW Group's strategy and growth, as well as the LNG business, which represents $2.5 billion of shipping assets.

Prior to BW, Mr. Prytz spent seven years at McKinsey where he was one of the leaders in the global chemicals practice. He later joined DuPont where he served in various management roles including as global head of strategy for the Performance Materials platform; the head of strategy, M&A, and BD for DuPont Asia-Pacific based in Shanghai; and as the head of the Hong Kong-based Advanced Fiber Systems division (KevlarR and NomexR). Mr. Prytz was recently also the head of the operating group of the second largest Asia-based hedge fund, ADM Capital, where he led their due diligence and portfolio company performance improvement efforts.

Mr. Prytz was awarded a Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Michigan, a Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and in 1995 an MBA (Finance) from the University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I have worked at and with companies that had people with equally or more "impressive" credentials that never made it.
BLP claimed that they were delivering reactors to potential buyers, I do remember that. That was years ago. I would call that a broken promise.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

BLP has never made such a claim, at least not in the 15 years I've been following them. What have you been smoking?

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Skipjack wrote:I have worked at and with companies that had people with equally or more "impressive" credentials that never made it.
BLP claimed that they were delivering reactors to potential buyers, I do remember that. That was years ago. I would call that a broken promise.
I don't recall them claiming that exactly. They signed a bunch of licensing deals with mostly obscure rural electric utilities (most just resellers/distributors) in anticipation of delivering generation capabilities to them. Several years have now passed with no visible progress. While I doubt this would qualify as a promise, they certainly set the expectation that they would have something in place by now which they obviously have not done.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

If BLP has something, I do not understand the hold-up. 20 years in the making, 10 years in the "know-how" and 4 years since any major update. Any tech-savvy person or corporate entity knows that time lines extending decades suffer from failure. Duke Nukem Forever, 14 years in the making and it flopped sooooo bad. Kodak's lack of release of its first digital camera lead to bankruptcy. The time was right 11-12 years ago, now everyone will vye with everyone else for attention a la Rossi Circus.

Either these are the dumbest smart people in the world, or they're the smartest dumb people in the world.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I don't understand the hold-up either, and guesses aren't worth anyone's time. Still we're stuck with that they have not yet come up with the goods in no way implies they will not come up with the goods.

There's nothing in common between this and a video game. Gaming platforms, processors and operating systems go obsolete every few years. The need for clean, cheap energy isn't going out of style anytime soon.

Even if the Poly, the FFR and other fusion reactors were to work, there would still be a market for things like the BLP process if indeed it works as advertised. So taking too long is not going to somehow injure their market share. What they need is to get it right. The proof is in the pudding.

Suppose for instance, the BLP reactor works, but not for the reason BLP supposed. Suppose it's indeed a LENR reaction working based upon Widom-Larsen theory. That would cause a few fits and starts in the developmental process. . .but they could still have something--albeit perhaps not something they can sell.

I'm not believing this above, nor am I believing hydrino theory. I don't have an opinion about the theoretical explanation for BLP's data, except to say they certainly have a staggering amount of evidence for their claims. Tens of thousands of data points to date. To deny this is simply to show you haven't followed.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

GIThruster wrote:I don't understand the hold-up either, and guesses aren't worth anyone's time. Still we're stuck with that they have not yet come up with the goods in no way implies they will not come up with the goods.

There's nothing in common between this and a video game. Gaming platforms, processors and operating systems go obsolete every few years. The need for clean, cheap energy isn't going out of style anytime soon.

Even if the Poly, the FFR and other fusion reactors were to work, there would still be a market for things like the BLP process if indeed it works as advertised. So taking too long is not going to somehow injure their market share. What they need is to get it right. The proof is in the pudding.

Suppose for instance, the BLP reactor works, but not for the reason BLP supposed. Suppose it's indeed a LENR reaction working based upon Widom-Larsen theory. That would cause a few fits and starts in the developmental process. . .but they could still have something--albeit perhaps not something they can sell.

I'm not believing this above, nor am I believing hydrino theory. I don't have an opinion about the theoretical explanation for BLP's data, except to say they certainly have a staggering amount of evidence for their claims. Tens of thousands of data points to date. To deny this is simply to show you haven't followed.
I'm more of a put up or shutup type of fellow, and since they haven't put up, I expect them to shutup and they have. What I don't understand is why blp is a topic of interest with no new information....we as a collective are arguing about the lack of anything to argue about. Infinitely amusing or completely idiotic once you see it I guess.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

can't argue with that. :-)