10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Carl White

10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Post by Carl White »

Split off from the original thread, where chrismb and Joseph Chivka are now locked in mortal combat.

Can we keep this thread to news (i.e. links to articles) and civil discussion only please?

rcain

Re: 10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Post by rcain »

Carl White wrote:..
Can we keep this thread to news (i.e. links to articles) and civil discussion only please?
given the topic, i find that highly unlikely.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Agree.

Aero

Post by Aero »

But let's try. So far, after 240 pages, the general consensus is that:
It might work,
It won't work,
It's nuclear,
it's something else,
Maybe someone who has been able to follow the technical details will favor us with a more precise summary of the general consensus.
Aero

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I haven't had the patience to keep up. Is this fall/winter still the agreed time when we'll be able to look inside Rossi's black box?

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

From what I've explored, the key seems to be saturation of the area with neutrinos from beta decay, allowing the temporary conversion of protons to neutrons, long enough to impact nuclei before decaying.

It is debatable whether this is feasible; the lifetime of these neutrinos in the material would be quite short, given the size of the device. But, if it worked, the reaction would be something along these lines:

1 H + anti-ν + e- -> n*
62 Ni + n* -> 63 Ni*
63 Ni -> 63 Cu + β- + anti-ν

Needless to say, the reaction requires a high density of Hydrogen in close proximity to the Nickel, or the anti-neutrino will escape.

The lifetime of the n* would be quite short, but inside the Nickel metal, the maximum distance will be (√2)/2 the 124pm atomic radius, so even a fairly low temperature should allow the neutron to travel to a nucleus in time.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

WizWom wrote:From what I've explored, the key seems to be saturation of the area with neutrinos from beta decay, allowing the temporary conversion of protons to neutrons, long enough to impact nuclei before decaying.

It is debatable whether this is feasible; the lifetime of these neutrinos in the material would be quite short, given the size of the device. But, if it worked, the reaction would be something along these lines:

1 H + anti-ν + e- -> n*
62 Ni + n* -> 63 Ni*
63 Ni -> 63 Cu + β- + anti-ν

Needless to say, the reaction requires a high density of Hydrogen in close proximity to the Nickel, or the anti-neutrino will escape.

The lifetime of the n* would be quite short, but inside the Nickel metal, the maximum distance will be (√2)/2 the 124pm atomic radius, so even a fairly low temperature should allow the neutron to travel to a nucleus in time.
You describe the Widom Larsen hypothesis but Rossi says that WL does NOT apply to his machine.

Oh well!

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

I'm of the opinion that Rossi is an empiricist, who doesn't really grasp quantum mechanics.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

WizWom wrote:I'm of the opinion that Rossi is an empiricist, who doesn't really grasp quantum mechanics.
Can't argue that, but neutron reactions typically result in unstable isotopes of medium duration which should be obvious in the results. Perhaps they don't kow exactly HOW it works but that it works more like proton reactions than neutron. The question then would become... if it works, how is the coulomb barrier overcome in these low energy lattice regimes? BECs? Polaritons? Mini-atoms? Something else? (or perhaps it doesn't work after all!)

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

KitemanSA wrote:The question then would become... if it works, how is the coulomb barrier overcome in these low energy lattice regimes? BECs? Polaritons? Mini-atoms? Something else? (or perhaps it doesn't work after all!)
Free Nobel prize for the first person to prove such LENR reactions really exist and can provide a solid explanation for why and how such reactions take place...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Enginerd wrote: Free Nobel prize for the first person to prove such LENR reactions really exist and can provide a solid explanation for why and how such reactions take place...
I suspect you are correct! ;)

dch24

Post by dch24 »

I don't believe this is the right site if you want a thread to stay on topic.

Since Rossi has not demonstrated to outside observers the extraordinary proof that is necessary, his extraordinary claims are just claims.

As are 99% of the posts here. I liked the video of the tea kettle testing steam pressure through a hose.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

I think most of the theory's about this sounds odd and unbelievable.
Butt now I can se a fantastic possibility.
before I go to believe it I will test in my kitchen.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Betruger wrote:I haven't had the patience to keep up. Is this fall/winter still the agreed time when we'll be able to look inside Rossi's black box?
There's no agreed time for that that I know of. The last week of October is when Rossi is supposed to demonstrate his 1 MW reactor. The end of this year or the beginning of the next is when the customers of Defkalion Green Technologies are supposed to find out if the units actually work as advertised. Figuring out what's inside the black box will presumably take a bit longer.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Betruger wrote:I haven't had the patience to keep up. Is this fall/winter still the agreed time when we'll be able to look inside Rossi's black box?
From Defkalion's responses on its forum:

- The agenda of the 1 MW presentation will be announced through their website by mid-October.

- Defkalion has had units (which they call Hyperions) in continuous operation for months. When their testing is finished, the results will be published.

- Testing of Hyperion units by Greek government officials took place the first ten days of July. These tests were to determine the safety and performance of the units. The protocols used and the results of these tests should be published, "very soon."

- Defkalion has tested self sustaining systems. In these systems, once the device is brought up to the proper temperature, the input is cut off and heat continues to be produced.

- At this moment, the highest temperature of steam produced by a Hyperion is 414C. This is not because steam cannot be made hotter, but because higher temperatures can exceed the specifications of components.

- They have never performed a test in which the output of a Hyperion was less than 19 times the input. Usually, it is in the range of 20 to 30 times the input.

Source: http://pesn.com/2011/07/14/9501868_E-Ca ... d_furious/