10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

ScottL wrote:
JoeP wrote:
ScottL wrote:LENR and Cold Fusion aren't really the same thing at all. LENR requires no fusion process while cold fusion most certainly does.

http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/12/ ... rsus-lenr/

For a brief explanation.
LENR is CF re-branded and is likely the same reaction (whatever that is, assuming there is anything actually happening that is non-chemical and nuclear).
LENR is all about neutron capture, fusion is not. The term cold fusion was a misnomer because they didn't have an adequate way to define it. We really should get our terms straight, this is not cold fusion. There is no overcoming of the CB nor any form of additional charge.
Talk about splitting hairs. Nuclear is part of the name. Whether it is fusion, neutron capture (which could be considered as fusion), or fission or decay , etc. This does not change the fact that the mechanism is presumed to be nuclear rather than electron/ chemical reactions. Of course there are endless refinements that can be used to split hairs. Hydrinos for example seem to be an attempt to claim a lower ground energy state for electrons within atoms (though it has never been seen by obvious spectroscopic means).

My primary point was that these labels mean nothing, they are only convenient catch phrases without the meat and potatoes of experimental results. Another appropriate acronym might be LEPEEBUM (Low Energy Possible Excess Energy By Unknown Means)

PS: I might add that thermal neutron capture is a well studied field. A stable isotope may be changed into an unstable isotope, which releases energy upon decay. The problem is that you have to account for the source of the short lived free neutron. Except for a few exceptions (like 235U) the energy out is less than the energy necessary to create the free neutron. These are indeed low energy nuclear reactions- or cold fusion if you are using the initiating neutron absorption into the nucleus ("fusion") as the defining step, but they generally do not produce excess heat (they are endothermic from a system standpoint. Remember that a cold neutron doesn't have very much KE (perhaps even below room temperature), but it began life hot, perhaps in the many thousands or few millions of eV. It slowed as it was moderated- giving it up its' KE as heat in the moderator. Now if you had a thermal conversion scheme that converted this moderating waste heat into useful power at 99.99999...% efficiency the story changes.
In a way, the challenge is not so much obtaining energy from a specific nuclear reaction (even a low energy nuclear reaction), it is that this reaction is only one step in the total system. Precursors have to be accounted for as does conversion efficiency. This has to be considered for hot fusion, or cold fission/ decay also. The only reason that we can extract energy from uranium fission is that the uranium was first produced in dying Stars- an endothermic process. And that energy surplus came from the earlier fusion of light elements (up to Fe or Ni depending on the mechanism you are talking about). Gravity plays a role in that also. And even the source of the light elements have to be considered. Where did the energy for making them come from? Eventually we have to go back to the Big Bang as the only purely exothermic reaction in the whole chain. But, you might ask, where the energy for the Big Bang came from? Was it the Vacuum energy? Where did that come from?...

Eventually we have to admit that free energy is real, or at least that the source cannot be found. The dodge is that we accept that the Laws of Physics are only applicable in a special situation, which happens to be the Universe since the Big Bang.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

JoeP wrote:
LENR is all about neutron capture, fusion is not. The term cold fusion was a misnomer because they didn't have an adequate way to define it. We really should get our terms straight, this is not cold fusion. There is no overcoming of the CB nor any form of additional charge.
I'll grant you the misnomer. However, the certainty of your last statement is interesting. I did not know all doubt has been resolved regarding the lack of fusion in these experiments.
Some folk seem to insist on "all or nothing". Not sure why. Seems a psycological issue to me.

Might some LENR be "fusion" by typical definitions while some are NOT? For instance, if the process is D+D=He, I kind of think most folks would call that "fusion" and if done in solid state, "cold fusion". But others regard n+? as transmutation, NOT fusion. So 62Ni+n=63Ni would NOT be fusion. It would be a nuclear reaction, and in solid state it would be low energy. So this would be LENR, NOT cold fusion.

'Kay?

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I don't find it splitting hairs in the least. By your definition, they're all "nuclear" so I can substitute fusion for fission and say we have fusion plants powering our nation, which would be patently false. At some point people have to call it as it is and I think we're getting to that point.

With regard to Kite's comment about not knowing, we may not yet, but it appears to many that we have a pretty good idea it's likely not fusion. I can certainly understand wanting to avoid the stigma of the title "cold fusion," but is fusion occurring in these reactions? According to the dictionary, it is not, and according to Fleischmann and Larson, it is not fusion. There is no net charge increase by the capture of a neutron nor change to the original atoms.

RobL

Post by RobL »

ScottL wrote:I don't find it splitting hairs in the least. By your definition, they're all "nuclear" so I can substitute fusion for fission and say we have fusion plants powering our nation, which would be patently false. At some point people have to call it as it is and I think we're getting to that point.

With regard to Kite's comment about not knowing, we may not yet, but it appears to many that we have a pretty good idea it's likely not fusion. I can certainly understand wanting to avoid the stigma of the title "cold fusion," but is fusion occurring in these reactions? According to the dictionary, it is not, and according to Fleischmann and Larson, it is not fusion. There is no net charge increase by the capture of a neutron nor change to the original atoms.
In Mike McKubre's SRI lecture http://ecatnews.com/?p=1430 he outlines how (whatever the unknown mechanism) they are absolutely certain that Pd-D systems are fusing D-D to create He. They are getting about 30MeV per He atom consistently over a large number of experiments, this is higher than the 24MeV that D-D yields but he explains that this is due to not all of the He coming out of the Pd - and not wanting to destroy the Pd samples to release it (they are examining the Pd using other techniques to try and learn what is going on). The He concentrations are above ambient air - and the systems are He leak tight and they have carefully checked for any other potential sources of He so it is certain that the He is being generated by the cells.

They are also measuring Tritium and He3 production at low but non-zero levels confirming that it is not just cold 'hot fusion' - there is something else happening to mess with the normal D-D hot fusion product distribution.

He also says that thus far he is unaware of anyone looking carefully for fusion products in NiH systems - and he is not particularly convinced by metal transmutation claims yet. Also that Piantelli did observe a lot of fast charged particles coming off of Ni-H test pieces in a cloud chamber after running a test - with the number of particles falling away rapidly over an hour or two.

At the moment we only have Rossi's generally poor/lazy experimental technique and perhaps intentionally misleading claims to rely upon for evidence of Ni+H => Cu reaction. But there are also a lot of smaller atomic mass anomalous products as well. http://ecat.com/ecat-technology/ecat-science

At this point lacking good independently produced experimental data from Ni-H workers I think it is likely that Ni-H is a similar unknown fusion process to Pd-D, ie that H-H is fusing in Ni via a similar mechanism to D-D in Pd. It could be that some of the products of this reaction are also reacting with the Ni to create transmutation to Cu etc

Axil

Post by Axil »

Some folk seem to insist on "all or nothing". Not sure why. Seems a psycological issue to me.
On target…

LENR is a collection of many quantum mechanical reactions that vary in effect and intensity between the various types of LENR instances.

For example, the QM reaction that stabilizes radioactive isotopes and eliminates gamma radiation may or may not appear in a given instance of a LENR reaction.

This radiation suppression reaction is not fusion.

Some of the deep thinkers here at polywell should be very interested in how this reaction neutralizes gamma radiation… a useful tool to employ in any type of nuclear reactor, but all they can manage to do is incessantly insist that such things are impossible by definition.

The constancy of nuclear radiation is one of the cardinal beliefs in the religion of the myopic.

These “A” students of the status quo make their living by following in lockstep in an illusion of traditional reality expounded ex cathedra in their text books and by their teachers. These ideological inquisitors will black ball and humiliate anyone who dares to sin against these long held religious beliefs.

Such a closed minded pathology inhibits any progress in science far more than their incessant demands for data that they constantly hide behind.

There is data aplenty but data is of no use to those who are not willing to believe in its implications.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ScottL wrote:I don't find it splitting hairs in the least. By your definition, they're all "nuclear" so I can substitute fusion for fission and say we have fusion plants powering our nation, which would be patently false. At some point people have to call it as it is and I think we're getting to that point.

WOW, have we go a miscommunication going on here!!!
I distinguish between the subset (cold fusion) and the full set (LENR). Cold fusion is LENR, LENR is not necessarily cold fusion.

I personally do not equate fusion and transmutation but I can accept the equation where the final product is larger than the two reactants. The problem is that with such a definition, the reaction n+235U=236U (which happens about 15% of the time) would be fusion. I would prefer to call it transmutation.

But you do bring up an interesting tid-bit. Is typical fission a LENR? The fuel is typically solid state. The particle causing the reaction (other than SPONTANEOUS fission) is typically a "thermal" neutron (~1eV). Is that "low energy"?
=============
WOW, we did. You were talking to DAN, not me! Ok. Oops!

parallel

Post by parallel »

Reasons not to “prove it”:

It gives Rossi a competitive advantage to leave the scientific community sufficiently skeptical that they aren’t all busily trying to do what Defkalion has done.

Public demonstrations cost time that can be better used getting his product to the market.

No matter what demonstration Rossi produces, public or private, it won’t settle the issue like an e-cat for sale at Wal-Mart will. Remember, nine major scientific institutions have already reproduced the Ni + H reaction, and the world’s response is? ”Rossi, prove it!” Why Rossi, why not SRI, MIT, USAF!

Every demo so far has produced an barrage of armchair quarterbacks declaring that Rossi is stupid, or worse. Does he really need such abuse?
ref http://nickelpower.org/2012/01/03/why-s ... -prove-it/

Rossi unveiled the E-Cat largely to please his friend and colleague Prof. Focardi. Why indeed should he "prove it" rather than the half dozen major labs that have published they have already found it?

He has the government over a barrel. They claim cold fusion doesn't work/is not nuclear. How then can they regulate it?

With competitor Defkalion nipping at his heels, for him the most important thing is to get production under way. 2012 should be a very interesting year.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

With competitor Defkalion nipping at his heels, for him the most important thing is to get production under way. 2012 should be a very interesting year.
Rossi created the situation where Defkalion is a competitor. Oops.

Kind of a weird scenario for a scam though, if Defkalion is "working" with Rossi on it.

parallel

Post by parallel »

joeP,
Rossi lost good engineering help when he fell out with Defkalion that has surely set him back some. We won't know just what happened for some time I suspect.

It should be obvious by now that it is not a scam.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

If a scam, it is full of craziness and contradiction. But maybe that is part of the genius of the scam artist :)

As been pointed out repeatedly, he has failed repeatedly to set up solid tests to prove it, even withholding his secrets in black box testing. Why? So I think you are overoptimistic when using the word "obvious." ;) Nevertheless, Rossi is right about the market being the ultimate arbitrator.

However, I do hold out a very small hope he has stumbled upon something. There is not a lot of "low hanging fruit" in the physical sciences anymore, but there is a chance that he hit upon a way to make the LENR/CF effect produce energy in useful amount which might have been missed by other research.

CKay

Post by CKay »

parallel wrote:It should be obvious by now that it is not a scam.
Really?

If there were an easy way to frame the wager, I'd put big money on this being a scam.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

CKay wrote:
parallel wrote:It should be obvious by now that it is not a scam.
Really?

If there were an easy way to frame the wager, I'd put big money on this being a scam.
I think it would be very difficult to prove whether it is a scam, or just Rossi being over-enthusiatic and a bad experimenter. The end result, months of stated progress with no sign of working product, is the same.

CKay

Post by CKay »

tomclarke wrote:I think it would be very difficult to prove whether it is a scam, or just Rossi being over-enthusiatic and a bad experimenter.
Yep, I can't even see how a broader bet regarding the viability of the ecats could be framed in a satisfactory manner - proving a negative and all that.

Still, combine the near certainty that Rossi's devices are bunk with the large numbers of people who believe otherwise, there must be some way to legitimately profit from such gullibility.

Perhaps something like ecat derivatives, the value of which would track market confidence in the 'technology'.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

KitemanSA wrote:

WOW, have we go a miscommunication going on here!!!
I distinguish between the subset (cold fusion) and the full set (LENR). Cold fusion is LENR, LENR is not necessarily cold fusion.

I personally do not equate fusion and transmutation but I can accept the equation where the final product is larger than the two reactants. The problem is that with such a definition, the reaction n+235U=236U (which happens about 15% of the time) would be fusion. I would prefer to call it transmutation.

But you do bring up an interesting tid-bit. Is typical fission a LENR? The fuel is typically solid state. The particle causing the reaction (other than SPONTANEOUS fission) is typically a "thermal" neutron (~1eV). Is that "low energy"?
=============
WOW, we did. You were talking to DAN, not me! Ok. Oops!
Yeah I should've tagged his name next to the first part. I have trouble buying into a lot of the thing Dan professes as truth. Call me what you will, but I'm a stickler for well defined mechanisms and their descriptions. I leave the room for fusion at low energy, however; I haven't seen proof of said fusion yet.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

CKay wrote:
tomclarke wrote:I think it would be very difficult to prove whether it is a scam, or just Rossi being over-enthusiatic and a bad experimenter.
Yep, I can't even see how a broader bet regarding the viability of the ecats could be framed in a satisfactory manner - proving a negative and all that.

Still, combine the near certainty that Rossi's devices are bunk with the large numbers of people who believe otherwise, there must be some way to legitimately profit from such gullibility.

Perhaps something like ecat derivatives, the value of which would track market confidence in the 'technology'.
You would need some strict stipulations to block loopholes such as government\corporate supression conspiracy theories. There are just too many ways out for anyone on Rossi's side if it doesn't work. As said before, the final decision will come down to the markets, so I say let it be.