10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

rcain wrote:
parallel wrote:...
I understand that the pathological skeptics will maintain that anything Rossi does is suspicious, but that is because they firmly believe the LENR is impossible....
not true. the thing people are 'pathologically skeptical' about is Rossi, not LENR.
parallel wrote:....
In fact, Rossi has the upper hand if the E-Cat does indeed work and refusing further tests isn't going to alter that.
i disagree. if there is anything in it (LENR), and Rossi continues 'messing about' like he is, i predict he will be beaten to market by someone else; someone else being capable of a 'convincing' experiment and a 'credible' explanation. if there is anything in 'it', putting together such a demonstration, and a darn sight better one that any of Rossi's, will not be difficult.

furthermore, they will use Rossi's 'caginess' against him, competitively. he will end up losing the lot.
Agreed.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

parallel wrote:
MSimon wrote:
It is impossible for Rossi to get a patent on cold fusion here.
Actually the field is wide open. All Rossi has to do is prove it works. Eventually he would collect royalties from everyone.

To say he can't get a patent is to say his device doesn't work.

He can't get a patent apriori. So what?
All Rossi has to do is prove it works. Eventually he would collect royalties from everyone.
Come on Simon, you know better than that.
I guess I do. He can never prove it works. Because............
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

According to Sven Kullander's recent lecture, Rossi has started to claim not needing the catalyzer to produce the effect, although Rossi has revised his output power rating from 6:1 to something closer to 2:1

cg66

Post by cg66 »

Looks like Larsen (of Widom-Larsen fame) has his undies in a bunch over Rossi.

http://www.slideshare.net/lewisglarsen/ ... ov-26-2011

If anything this story continues to be entertaining....

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

cg66 wrote:Looks like Larsen (of Widom-Larsen fame) has his undies in a bunch over Rossi.

http://www.slideshare.net/lewisglarsen/ ... ov-26-2011

If anything this story continues to be entertaining....
If Rossi is a fraud then serious scientists are going to take the hit in this field. So this is the source of the anger (and the most likely outcome). Better for everyone if Rossi is right :) Fat chance, I know...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Would appear that Larsen is a Krivit fan...
speaking of Krivit, he did again add a few more items.
One of which references an upcoming article on the NASA-Rossi event where NASA apparently said it would cost $50K to fully test an ECAT, and Rossi responded, I want $15 million for you to test my ECAT.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

ladajo wrote:Would appear that Larsen is a Krivit fan...
One of which references an upcoming article on the NASA-Rossi event where NASA apparently said it would cost $50K to fully test an ECAT, and Rossi responded, I want $15 million for you to test my ECAT.
LOL. It sounds obnoxious, but the above is also consistent with the idea that Rossi will consider an official test by NASA equivalent to the loss of his IP and future profits from his invention.

There are probably some cultural things in play here too. I'm a third generation American of mostly Italian decent, and Rossi reminds me a bit of some of my older relatives that came over from the old country. Quick to laugh and be warm and open -- and also very quick to get quite angry with a head of steam up over something that seemed quite minor at first glance!

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:Would appear that Larsen is a Krivit fan...
Well, at least he is reducing his requests. Last time, if I remember correctly, he was asking 50 million USD :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Giorgio,
Rossi di dove? Lo sai?

icarus

Post by icarus »

You got to ask yourself if Rossi is acting more like the ultimate conman or someone who knows he has something world-changing and is trying to protect his secrets.

If he was the ultimate conman would he not be trying to sell secret powders (or licences to produce secret powders) not 1 MWatt machines in shipping containers ....

What am I missing here expert sceptics Giorgio? ladajo? MSimon? Maui?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would say the simple question is the most obvious, "Rossi, will you let us do a black box test to verify heat output?"

A black box test would still protect his IP, as well as show once and for all it is not a crock.

I personally think the key to the puzzle is the timelines of operation in conjunction with the Q's stated.

Rossi has had a persistant habit of trying to run it longer, and everytime he does so, the proclaimed Q goes down. I think that is indicative of possibly the prime issue, and tied with his possible idea that he is convinced that with a little more time and money, he can make it work "right".

At the end of the day, I dunno.
I do know that everytime he opens his mouth, it makes me question him more. I do hope I am wrong, but I am not a "believer" these days.

polyill

Post by polyill »

icarus wrote:You got to ask yourself if Rossi is acting more like the ultimate conman or someone who knows he has something world-changing and is trying to protect his secrets.

If he was the ultimate conman would he not be trying to sell secret powders (or licences to produce secret powders) not 1 MWatt machines in shipping containers ....

You are obviously missing the fact he was convicted. Twice

rcain

Post by rcain »

icarus wrote:You got to ask yourself if Rossi is acting more like the ultimate conman or someone who knows he has something world-changing and is trying to protect his secrets.

logic.

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Don't bother asking.

The point of a scam is to make money. Rossi hasn't made any money yet. Therefore it isn't a scam. Yet.

If Rossi starts selling stock then we can start taking the deniers seriously. Until then I recommend a balanced view.

This next week should be interesting, since Defkalion is supposed to make a major announcement.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I'm inclined to believe that Rossi may have believed in his device due to miscalculation. I believe he's trying to save face now by slowly reducing his stated Q. Was it not 200+ in Jan? Was it not 30+ in June? Was it not 6 around Sept/Oct...and now reports are saying ~2? This seems more like a realization of calculation error mixed with Rossi's eccentricities which lead to a seemingly scam style situation. I think he's trying to save face by claiming he's sold a unit, but I don't believe for a second UoB will ever get to activate their contract. I also don't think we'll see any independent confirmation, nor ever know of a known company (not one where Rossi is on the board or creator) buying a unit.

If he did sell his house to finance him, I feel pity. In my opinion he believed Focardi's claims and blew them out of proportion....sadly costing him.