10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

TallDave wrote:I'll give Rossi another year or two to build something commercial that either works or doesn't.
Two years? That's way too much for something that is (was?) supposed to be ready in October, IMHO.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Well, somewhere between a year and two years lies the point at which I would say there's no longer any reasonable chance that he actually has something. Obviously every missed deadline makes it less likely, but one could reasonably give some allowance for resolving issues that might crop up.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors »

TallDave wrote:Well, somewhere between a year and two years lies the point at which I would say there's no longer any reasonable chance that he actually has something. Obviously every missed deadline makes it less likely, but one could reasonably give some allowance for resolving issues that might crop up.
As opposed to Rick's, "We'll know in two years" (Spring 2009) :D Sorry...couldn't help it, not really a fair comparison.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

In EMC2's case, they could already know. Scaling is still up in the air, but who knows how promising the data is up to now.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Giorgio wrote:Looks like Rossi is getting ready for a setback of the 1MW demo plant:
The setback of attempting to work with the delusional Greek shysters, of taking thousands of hours to accept and proof-read their proposals, has significantly sapped our ability to make the October self-imposed demonstration goal.
I found this on NBF but I can't verify it on Rossi website as it is down since several hours.
Once it will be back on-line I will scout for this statement and post the link.

Edited:
I am not able to find that statement on JoNP website. I asked confirmation if it was taken from Rossi website or from another place.
That was a hypothetical statement GoatGuy speculated Rossi might give as an excuse to delay the demonstration.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Axil

Post by Axil »

Betruger wrote:In EMC2's case, they could already know. Scaling is still up in the air, but who knows how promising the data is up to now.
In project management during hard times, the first thing to go is research and development. The total worth of the world’s wealth has been reduced by about 8 trillion dollars during these last few weeks. None can dispute that hard times are upon us.

The prospects for any continued finance of fusion research is grim. The Navy will suspend the funding of Polywell research at the end of the year and this highly vulnerable government entity will retrench into massive budget cutting as required by the tea baggers and the dwindling number of US tax payers in a contractive depressionary death spiral.

We are entering into the final stage of the debt supercycle endgame. This phase of the world’s economic trajectory will require about a decade to unwind as the debt accumulated over the last 50 years is gradually unwound. The world economy will once again be capable and willing to support R&D again sometime after 2020 so be patient.

All good things happen to those who wait.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Betruger wrote:It ain't over till we see inside Rossi's black box..
Crimony. Mills isn't even done yet. None of this ever goes away. There's still Millsers, flat earthers, Moon landing on a Hollwood sound stage, spoon bend believers, Area 51ers... You name it. I challenge you: name one such fraud which didn't hold on to at least some loyal hanger on'ers....

It doesn't matter squat what's in rossi's black box. It's the steam, the hocus pocus, and the salesmanship that counts.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Put another way - it ain't over till we figure out just what LENR/CF/whatever really is.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Axil,

I find that unlikely. Based on the early speculative report alone with regard to WB8, I think EMC2 is guaranteed funding whether its Navy based or private sector. What you will see is large cuts in military spending on deployments over seas.

In the grand scheme of things, I feel there's a lot of fear mongering around the national debt. Hell, we got downgraded, watched the stock market plunge and the American population gave a shrug of indifference. The next day, it rebounded a good chunk of what it lost. At some point things will get sorted out, spending cuts will be made and new revenue flowing.

Axil

Post by Axil »

ScottL wrote:Axil,

I find that unlikely. Based on the early speculative report alone with regard to WB8, I think EMC2 is guaranteed funding whether its Navy based or private sector. What you will see is large cuts in military spending on deployments over seas.

In the grand scheme of things, I feel there's a lot of fear mongering around the national debt. Hell, we got downgraded, watched the stock market plunge and the American population gave a shrug of indifference. The next day, it rebounded a good chunk of what it lost. At some point things will get sorted out, spending cuts will be made and new revenue flowing.
According to Admiral Mike Mullins who when speaking to a class of students remarked that the national debt is our number one security threat to the nation. He also stated that the defense budget has doubled over 9 years since 9/11/01. The 2011 budget for the DoD is over $700 billion. This means in just 10 years government has more than doubled the DoD budget.

Intransigent know-nothing tea bagger politicians looking for places to save money after an era of spending binges for unfunded wars of choice are now set to solve their self-made problems on the back of the U.S. military.

Caving to this “starve the beast” political pressure, POTUS, the Secretary of Defense and Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen will eliminate all non-mission critical projects as efficiencies initiatives in the Department of Defense. To offer up placating budgetary sacrifices to the politicos, tough choices must now be made and the defense budget will be deeply cut without any change in U.S. foreign policy commitments. Cuts will be made that do not cause direct harm to those in uniform.

Be realistic, pet projects in the DOD like Polywell will not pass muster when the budgetary ax falls. Polywell as well as all the other hot fusion projects will definitely go and soon. If you are a DOD scientist, researcher, or contractor… the GI gets priority… your skills are no longer required…look for a job driving a cab.

You brought these tea baggers into office to save the country. Now reap their whirlwind.

Even with its many faults, there is one good thing about Rossi’s system … its development has always been privately funded. It has never suckled from the public tit.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Ivy Matt wrote:That was a hypothetical statement GoatGuy speculated Rossi might give as an excuse to delay the demonstration.
I see, thanks for pointing it out.
I will edit my post.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Axil wrote:Even with its many faults, there is one good thing about Rossi’s system … its development has always been privately funded. It has never suckled from the public tit.
The other good thing is that in Italy the penalties for fraud to a private investor are a fraction in respect to the one for fraud to a public entity.... just saying... :roll:

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Axil,

Personally I'm for cuts in military spending. You pointed out that we've doubled their running budget, that's ridiculous and at least a cut to pre-war levels will be needed. As for pet projects, last I checked, EMC2 has their funding and has completed or is close to completion of their contract with the Navy. Past WB8 they always knew there was a good chance they'd be on their own and I'm sure they've prepared as such.

Back on topic though, this whole Rossi deal has only reaffirmed my view that this is likely a scam.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Betruger wrote:In EMC2's case, they could already know. Scaling is still up in the air, but who knows how promising the data is up to now.
We have been told loss scaling is "excellent" and presumably that is for up to .8T.

Will that hold up to 5-10T? That's gotten MUCH more likely with the positive WB-8 results. Hopefully we'll get to find out for sure soon!
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Coolbrucelong

Post by Coolbrucelong »

Axil:

US military spending in terms of GNP is at near historic lows. US government spending in terms of GNP is near history ( WWII) highs

Eliminate the defense department and the budget problem remains
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty
Engineer: Someone made that glass twice
as large as it needs to be.