Brillouin Energy Corporation

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Re: Brillouin Energy Corporation

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:Unless they let people take one of those reactors and have it tested by THEIR own scientists, I would not touch this with a ten foot pole.
But that would disrupt their business model! :wink:
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The whole practice is about skirting investment laws and regulation.
It is, at the end of the day, clearly speculative investment. Unfortunately, as structured, it provides clear ability to be a sham, and take unsuspecting folks' money, as they think, while at arms length (done on purpose by licenscee), it is a legitimate operation.
Typical criminal behavior exploiting misinformation and system weaknesses.

Criminals will always be criminal, which is rooted in greed, cowardice, and laziness, not the glory that hollywood seeks to give it.
<conclude rant>...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

http://qz.com/676426/they-said-it-could ... the-world/

I don't know who quartz.com is, but they did a radio-style mishmash called "Actuality" with quotes from Peter Hagelstein (MIT) and Robert Godes (Brillouin). Also, I can't find a date on this, so it may be older news. Godes starts speaking at 16:02, but the format and content is pretty light. Here is what I gleaned from it:

* Brilluion has obtained $10.5 million in funding. None of it is from venture capitalists, it's all from "high-net-worth individuals".

* Godes: "We have demonstrated 4x more energy out than energy in".

* Radio host: "Godes says he can come up with a kind of cold fusion space heater in 2.5 years if he can get enough funding".

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Doesn't a heat pump have a COP of about 6? Why lower your standards and take a 4?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Indeed, the heat pump illustrates how COP doesn't mean much without input and output temperatures.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Brillouin announces SRI validation of its reactor. Although it sounds like validation was the effort of only one man at SRI. COP of 1.2x to 1.45x. Excess heat only a few watts. Meh.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/01/prweb13961529.htm

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

KitemanSA wrote:Doesn't a heat pump have a COP of about 6? Why lower your standards and take a 4?
Heat pumps move heat so the colder it is outside the lower the difference in the working fluid which results in a lower COP ( and vice versa EER for cooling)
So in cold climates a cop of 6 would be beneficial. Lower temperatures may cause a heat pump to operate below the efficiency of a resistance heater, so conventional heat pumps often include heater coils or auxiliary heating from LP or natural gas to prevent low efficiency operation of the refrigeration cycle. "Cold climate" heat pumps are designed to optimize efficiency below 0 °F
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

A link to the actual report from SRI:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/forum/index. ... eport-pdf/

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

paperburn1 wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Doesn't a heat pump have a COP of about 6? Why lower your standards and take a 4?
Heat pumps move heat so the colder it is outside the lower the difference in the working fluid which results in a lower COP ( and vice versa EER for cooling)
So in cold climates a cop of 4 would be beneficial. Lower temperatures may cause a heat pump to operate below the efficiency of a resistance heater, so conventional heat pumps often include heater coils or auxiliary heating from LP or natural gas to prevent low efficiency operation of the refrigeration cycle. "Cold climate" heat pumps are designed to optimize efficiency below 0 °F
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Carl White wrote:A link to the actual report from SRI:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/forum/index. ... eport-pdf/
Thanks for the link. A quick read will reveal to anyone with a basic knowledge of experimental calorimetry that the whole experimental set up is meaningless and prone to evaluation errors, especially when you need to make up your own "coefficients" (see Table 2 and Table 3) to make it look like there is actually a positive COP!! :D

Until the moment people will start to drop dreamers like Rossi and Godes that make up bullshit just to prove that their system works, the whole LENR research sector will keep being considered a joke without any respect from any decent researcher.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Well, I didn't expect to hear about Brillouin again, but after years of silence, they've announced a demonstration at an upcoming conference:

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5822670 ... -at-iccf24
“This technology has been independently tested or validated by several of the world’s leading nuclear physicists and laboratories and is ready now to enter into the next phase: commercialization,” said David Firshein, CFO of Brillouin Energy. “The HHT test system that we are demonstrating at ICCF24 is the first ever licensable system that is transportable—it can be packed up and shipped to potential OEM License Partners for further testing and evaluation. This is a crucial step toward solving today’s massive challenges of energy security and climate change.”
Somehow I still don't feel very hopeful, but we'll see.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Now that money for fusion is flowing, grifters are coming out of the woodwork?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.