Brillouin Energy Corporation

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

kurt9 wrote:
djolds1 wrote:
kurt9 wrote:I read William's compact reactor paper. It presents a model of the Deuterium nucleus that is certainly unconventional, to say the least. Is there experimental evidence for this model?
Still chewing my way through the pdfs and books. Solid experiments for tests have been proposed, and some hardware is/was being tested by aerospace contacts of Williams before the '08 economic implosion.
There's a lot to chew through. I take it the book that you are reading is the one presented on Williams website. Perhaps John Reed might be interested in it.
Already read that - its relatively short and easy to digest. A second more comprehensive book was published recently, much "meatier," mathematically. OTOH I'm not looking to be a hard sell advocate - the various pdfs should cover everything, presuming those interested have enough stictoitiveness.
Vae Victis

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Link to an article posted in "Cold Fusion Now":

http://coldfusionnow.wordpress.com/2011 ... ses-water/

An interesting quote:

"... venture capital has finally taken notice of the potential. Brillouin Energy is fielding calls from new investors and will now be working with Los Alamos National Lab LANL to replicate Brillouin’s work. First, a confirmation report from a nationally recognized lab, and then the funds."

pbelter

Re: Brillouin Energy Corporation

Post by pbelter »

Independent Technical Validation Report Completed On Brillouin Energy’s LENR HHT™ Reactor Core Systems

http://www.pressreleaserocket.net/indep ... ms/385345/

anybody got a link to the report itself?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I love how freely these companies use the word "independent".
The technical report was done by "Michael Halem", who also personally designed the test!!!

But wait a second.........
Isn't Michael Halem also the Vice President and Senior Partner in LENR-Invest, and isn't LENR-Invest also a shareholder of Brillouin Energy Corporation?
Somehow I have a deep feeling that it will not be a very impressive report.

Maybe someone should send to them an email with the meaning of the word "independent"..... :roll:
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Giorgio wrote:I love how freely these companies use the word "independent".
The technical report was done by "Michael Halem", who also personally designed the test!!!

But wait a second.........
Isn't Michael Halem also the Vice President and Senior Partner in LENR-Invest, and isn't LENR-Invest also a shareholder of Brillouin Energy Corporation?
Somehow I have a deep feeling that it will not be a very impressive report.

Maybe someone should send to them an email with the meaning of the word "independent"..... :roll:
Ha!

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Brillouin Energy’s Technical Validation Report is available upon request to qualified interested parties under a customary non-disclosure agreement.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

paperburn1 wrote:Brillouin Energy’s Technical Validation Report is available upon request to qualified interested parties under a customary non-disclosure agreement.
As expected......

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

An image of a Brillouin boiler:

Some product information on their website:

http://brillouinenergy.com/technology/products/

Not just about 150 C now.

From their front page:
In addition to this team, Brillouin Energy operates under a formal Research Agreement with the highly regarded Energy Research Center laboratory at SRI International in Menlo Park, California, under which the Company and SRI scientists with long experience in the LENR field work together to advance its commercial reactor technologies.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Qualified original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) pay initial contract fees, annual license fees and a percentage of sales (royalties) on products using Brillouin Energy’s proprietary CECR process technologies. - See more at: http://brillouinenergy.com/opportunity/ ... UYMmm.dpuf
Same model as all those companies have. If it is really so great, forget about the licensing! Just build a power generator and make money with putting the energy into the grid. But of course that would require these things to actually work...

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

Skipjack wrote:
Qualified original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) pay initial contract fees, annual license fees and a percentage of sales (royalties) on products using Brillouin Energy’s proprietary CECR process technologies. - See more at: http://brillouinenergy.com/opportunity/ ... UYMmm.dpuf
Same model as all those companies have. If it is really so great, forget about the licensing! Just build a power generator and make money with putting the energy into the grid. But of course that would require these things to actually work...
Dont see a problem with their business model. But I do Software Engineering so the business model is familliar to me. It works well under the assumption that their are other energy providers out their who are looking for an alternative. Given the pressure the Obama administration and the world has put on Coal fired power plants. I would argue there are alot of power providers who need an alternative reactor. IF all they need to do is rip out their coal burner and pipe the steam from this reactor into their turbine, they are still in business. For in home usage it could replace the heating element in a water heater.

Building out a power generator and putting energy into the grid FROM SCRATCH is a non trivial endeavor. Even if you had a working Cold Fusion reactor there are economics that probably dont work out. Its the reason Solar needs all the incentives it has to get them up and running. Nuclear power had the same type of incentives when it was originally being rolled out. I think the only time incentives weren't really needed was back in Edison's day when they were building the grid.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

birchoff wrote: Dont see a problem with their business model. But I do Software Engineering so the business model is familliar to me. It works well under the assumption that their are other energy providers out their who are looking for an alternative. Given the pressure the Obama administration and the world has put on Coal fired power plants. I would argue there are alot of power providers who need an alternative reactor. IF all they need to do is rip out their coal burner and pipe the steam from this reactor into their turbine, they are still in business. For in home usage it could replace the heating element in a water heater.
I am a software engineer too, but in this case you have someone asking for contract fees and licensing fees and so on for products that are dubious at best. Plus, I do not think that you can just swap out those reactors. They only have 4 times the output of the energy you put in, even if they really work (which I am very skeptical of). This whole thing stinks.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

We didn't make in time to get rid of Rossi that another one is already trying to take is place. When will people learn....

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would offer, from my power plant and industrial experiences, that none of the 'reactors' that have been posted have any real ability to handle the heat loads they are talking about. That alone makes it "dubious" to me. That kind of energy is serious, and I have seen little to no environmental and system heat load management engineering in ANY of the photos that would indicate the levels of energy they are claiming. Rossiclown's 1MW output claim is a perfect example. That is a metric shitton of heat. Those little pipes and insulations don't look anywhere near beefy enough, not to mention the amount of environmental heat that thing would be putting out (especially given how the working fluid is moved around). A I recall from photos, Rossiclown has a small window AC unit cut into the wall of the shipping container. So what does that provide? 5K-10K BTU cooling? That ain't shit.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Giorgio wrote:We didn't make in time to get rid of Rossi that another one is already trying to take is place. When will people learn....
Oh well. :wink:

At least this time, it's not headed by a known scammer.

IH hasn't turned on them (yet).

They say they're working with SRI, so they might be working with SRI.

They're not spewing endless "Brillouinsays", seem to be ready to take customers instead.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Carl White wrote: seem to be ready to take customers instead.
No, they are not, which is what I criticized earlier. Instead they are looking for licensees. So people stupid enough to throw money at them for the license to license (yeah they are charging for that too) a technology that is controversial (to say the least) and has very little proof behind it. Unless they let people take one of those reactors and have it tested by THEIR own scientists, I would not touch this with a ten foot pole.