Whoa Navy!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
ladajo wrote:Rail guns are funny animals, and one of the proben techiques to extend barrel life is to inject the projectile at an initial velocity (using gas, or even a small chemical charge), however, the current navy designs do not do this. I personally do not understand why not.
Because US Navy is going to equip new DDG-1000 class destroyers with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DD(X) ... System.jpg
In fact barrel wear certainly is a significant problem.
But rail guns need very roomy pulse energy storages (and costly).
Yes, theoretically they will allow higher velocities of projectiles, and so - longer ranges.
But then accuracy issue will play. And so, you need guided projectiles. Have the artillery guns any advantage vs. missiles at long ranges?
The advanced Gun System is a stopgap fill until Rail gun (if ever) comes on line. It is an 8inch Howitzer. It is not designed for direct fire like the current 5 inch mounts. It is designed for indirect fire. The 5inch mounts (Mk 45 series) are good for direct or indirect fires, but the roots are in direct fire and air defense. Also, 5 inch mounts do not have any real penetration for hard targets, especially on land. A simple cut and cover log bunker will stop them.
In so far as the usefulness of gun rounds verses missiles, gun ronud are far cheaper. You can also pack more gun rounds into a ship and toss them down range (with the afore mentioned cost savings) and tear up a soft target. The 8 inch round will give better penetration to harder targets, as well as better range. However, there will be less rounds per unit volume on board the ship. This is one of the reasons that DDG 1000 will be larger. Missiles take up even more space per unit volume. 8 inch rounds are also more amenable to having guidance and/or rocket boosters than 5 inch rounds. The advantages are numerous.

The great advantage of Railgun is its reach. Its second great advantage is the removal of need for chemical charges and explosive rounds. The KE does all the work on impact. Now that said, there is great utility in rounds today that Railgun (as designed) will not give such as HEET and KEET Rounds, and other large bore "Shotgun" type rounds that are so useful for close in defense for air and surface targets. I don't know about you, but having a 5 or 8 inch bore Shotgun pointed at me would make me nervous.
There is a "shotgun" flechette round being worked up for railgun, but it does not have the utility that HEET and KEET have at longer ranges.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ladajo wrote:The advanced Gun System is a stopgap fill until Rail gun (if ever) comes on line. It is an 8inch Howitzer. It is not designed for direct fire like the current 5 inch mounts. It is designed for indirect fire. The 5inch mounts (Mk 45 series) are good for direct or indirect fires, but the roots are in direct fire and air defense. Also, 5 inch mounts do not have any real penetration for hard targets, especially on land. A simple cut and cover log bunker will stop them.
In so far as the usefulness of gun rounds verses missiles, gun ronud are far cheaper. You can also pack more gun rounds into a ship and toss them down range (with the afore mentioned cost savings) and tear up a soft target. The 8 inch round will give better penetration to harder targets, as well as better range. However, there will be less rounds per unit volume on board the ship. This is one of the reasons that DDG 1000 will be larger. Missiles take up even more space per unit volume. 8 inch rounds are also more amenable to having guidance and/or rocket boosters than 5 inch rounds. The advantages are numerous.

The great advantage of Railgun is its reach. Its second great advantage is the removal of need for chemical charges and explosive rounds. The KE does all the work on impact. Now that said, there is great utility in rounds today that Railgun (as designed) will not give such as HEET and KEET Rounds, and other large bore "Shotgun" type rounds that are so useful for close in defense for air and surface targets. I don't know about you, but having a 5 or 8 inch bore Shotgun pointed at me would make me nervous.
There is a "shotgun" flechette round being worked up for railgun, but it does not have the utility that HEET and KEET have at longer ranges.
As I understand there is no in their doctrine the concept to approach multibillion vessels on direct fire distance. US navy and Marines have many other attack capabilities for that.
If we concider convential guns (howitzers) 5inch shell weighs about 12-15 kg, modern 8inch - 40-45 kg.
KE energy penetrator 8inch would be overkill for all existing targets. 120mm (less than 5inch) tank gun from the distance of 2-3km able penetrate the head armor of any modern tank including Merkava 4 – the heaviest tank in the world.
As I know there are flechet warheads for indirect fire as well when the cone of darts cover some area from the top.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Joseph,
Whose doctrine are you talking about? There certainly is doctrine to approach naval vessels for direct fire ranges.

The discussion on the mounts is more centered around Naval Gunfire Support for shore targets. But it is also applicable for at sea.

In regards to penetration, a 5inch mount is 127mm, not far off 120mm, however, the muzzle velocity of a 120mm tank gun is higher, and the round itself is designed to penetrate armour. Naval gun rounds are typically HE, with a hardened tip (thus "Armour Pearcing") to facilitate damage on ships. These rounds are not very effective on shore targets that are dug in. The best effect for 5 inch rounds is on soft targets using a VT fuze for an air burst and spraying fragments. Naval rounds do not come in the HEAT version found in tanks, nor do they come in the sabot version with high density penetrators. Shooting at naval targets is different than shooting at armoured vehicles. Vehicles are small and have confined crew space. Ships are large and have crew all over, thus the target is equipment, not men. You shoot a ship to break its kit, not kill its men. If its kit is broken, it can not fight no matter how many men are in it. If you shoot a vehicle you are trying to kill the men, that is what gets the mission kill or removal of the vehicle from the fight. Most vehicles are recoverable after a hit, the crew are not. It tends to be the reverse afloat, the crew is recoverable, the ship not so much.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ladajo wrote:Joseph,
Whose doctrine are you talking about? There certainly is doctrine to approach naval vessels for direct fire ranges.
May be, but I am not sure.
ladajo wrote:In regards to penetration, a 5inch mount is 127mm, not far off 120mm, however, the muzzle velocity of a 120mm tank gun is higher, and the round itself is designed to penetrate armour. Naval gun rounds are typically HE, with a hardened tip (thus "Armour Pearcing") to facilitate damage on ships. These rounds are not very effective on shore targets that are dug in. The best effect for 5 inch rounds is on soft targets using a VT fuze for an air burst and spraying fragments. Naval rounds do not come in the HEAT version found in tanks, nor do they come in the sabot version with high density penetrators. Shooting at naval targets is different than shooting at armoured vehicles. Vehicles are small and have confined crew space. Ships are large and have crew all over, thus the target is equipment, not men. You shoot a ship to break its kit, not kill its men. If its kit is broken, it can not fight no matter how many men are in it. If you shoot a vehicle you are trying to kill the men, that is what gets the mission kill or removal of the vehicle from the fight. Most vehicles are recoverable after a hit, the crew are not. It tends to be the reverse afloat, the crew is recoverable, the ship not so much.
About 120mm tank gun I wrote that 120mm is less than 5inch (127mm).
And I doubt that in modern war in the sea the artillery battle is considered seriously. US Navy will not approach any enemy at that distance. Antiship missiles (sea skimmers) Harpoon from aircrafts, then the same types missiles from vessels, collective air defence EAGES against approaching enemy missiles.
I think that artillery will play only shore bombardment role and only using indirect fire.
Certainly I am only an interested reader and may be wrong.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

In War at Sea the preferred weapon of choice is aircraft launching standoff missiles. The next choice is ship launched missiles.
The reality of modern combat against assymetric and littoral foes dictates that with-in line of sight engagements will occur. This was the genesis for HEET & KEET and Naval Flechette. This is also why the Standard Missile family (Non cruise missile sea skimmers) have an Anti-Surface mode. The US navy remains dependant on Harpoon for OTH engagement from ships. Gunnery has some limited application, but is not prefered, and is obvioulsy limited to track detection (which is technically LOS, even if you can't see it with eyeballs.)

Naval Anti Surface Gunnery has gained some new life in recent years, and has retained appliation against air targets (be they conventional or unconventional).

The irony of Naval Gunnery is that the Navy has not kept up its bargain with the Marines, and has failed for years to have a viable Shore Gunnery system. 5 Inch while fast (compared to land based guns) has not the hitting power nor reach required. It has been a shameful thing that has been very slow to correct. And the idea of doing an opposed amphibious assault with weak gunfire support is concerning. Risk is assumed until the marines get thier organic fires ashore.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ladajo wrote:5 Inch while fast (compared to land based guns) has not the hitting power nor reach required. It has been a shameful thing that has been very slow to correct.
Thanks. I am not an expert.
And I did not know about this problem.
And think that with modernization of control system you can improve the reaction time.
Also it would be interesting to know when you say that 5inch naval guns are faster than land based guns, they faster than Korean K9 self-propelled howitzer, South African very advanced 155mm gun, German PzH2000?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

A typical Mk 45 mount will sustain fire at about 20 rounds a minute with no change in round type. If you start indexing round types that will slow it down a bit.

Most land based artillery fire about 1 per minute. Some fire 1.5 to 2, and very few are faster. Newer designs can be faster, but the magazine depth qucikly becomes an issue, which ships have the advantage in. Mobile artillery will never have the sustained magazine depth that a ship mount will have. Of course, once a ship runs out of ammo, it can take longer to replenish than a shore based battery. But with several ships available for the gun line, it becomes effectively infinite support as they rotate out.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /mk-45.htm
The Mk 45 is controlled by either the Mk 86 Gun Fire Control System or the Mk 160 Gun Computing System. Range is more than 13 nautical miles and can fire 16-20 rounds per minute. Each magazine has a capacity of 475-500 rounds.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ladajo wrote:A typical Mk 45 mount will sustain fire at about 20 rounds a minute with no change in round type. If you start indexing round types that will slow it down a bit.

Most land based artillery fire about 1 per minute. Some fire 1.5 to 2, and very few are faster. Newer designs can be faster, but the magazine depth qucikly becomes an issue, which ships have the advantage in. Mobile artillery will never have the sustained magazine depth that a ship mount will have. Of course, once a ship runs out of ammo, it can take longer to replenish than a shore based battery. But with several ships available for the gun line, it becomes effectively infinite support as they rotate out.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /mk-45.htm
The Mk 45 is controlled by either the Mk 86 Gun Fire Control System or the Mk 160 Gun Computing System. Range is more than 13 nautical miles and can fire 16-20 rounds per minute. Each magazine has a capacity of 475-500 rounds.
Ok, thanks.
Modern 155mmL52 self propelled guns shoot much faster than 1-2 shot per minute. As I remember PzH2000 depending on barrel temperature up to 10. Certainly this is not 20 rounds/minute but may be naval guns cooled by sea water. Rusians - yes cooled.
And burst of 3 rounds per 9 sec and simultaneously impact mode of 5 rounds on one target, etc.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, the newest land designs are up to 10. But more realistically 6 to 8. The most common systems are still at 1 to 2.

Again, the problem with land based systems is the magazine depth. Very shallow for higher rates of fire. For example the 155's at max rate are winchester after about 4 minutes. A Mk 45 mount can sustain for 25 to 30 minutes at max rate. It is not water cooled.

The Mk 75 76mm naval gun (Water cooled) can fire 120 rounds per minute, but only has a ring loader for 40 rounds :). This can be reloaded on the fly, but is preferred to shoot the ring, and then load the ring and repeat. Most installed units are kept at 80 rounds per minute or less. Typically they are set to 20 or 40. I have seen an 80 round rated mount fire at 96 rounds per minute in the horizontal (which is the slowest firing position, more elvation shortens the cycle time). Good design when it works.

The bread and butter of naval guns is air defense and shore fires. The air defense bit is what changed the game in the pacific in WWII. The introduction of VT fuzing radically altered the balance. Japanese air attacks on ships became suicidal, and the loss rate of experienced pilots extreme. They never recovered from this.

Shore fires speak for themselves, although the navy has given up (for now, and a while) real reach and hitting power. The 155mm AGS should help some but will be reduced in rate of fire to 10 to 12 rounds per minute (300+ round magazine) and is water cooled.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ladajo wrote:Yes, the newest land designs are up to 10. But more realistically 6 to 8. The most common systems are still at 1 to 2.

Again, the problem with land based systems is the magazine depth. Very shallow for higher rates of fire. For example the 155's at max rate are winchester after about 4 minutes. A Mk 45 mount can sustain for 25 to 30 minutes at max rate. It is not water cooled.

The Mk 75 76mm naval gun (Water cooled) can fire 120 rounds per minute, but only has a ring loader for 40 rounds :). This can be reloaded on the fly, but is preferred to shoot the ring, and then load the ring and repeat. Most installed units are kept at 80 rounds per minute or less. Typically they are set to 20 or 40. I have seen an 80 round rated mount fire at 96 rounds per minute in the horizontal (which is the slowest firing position, more elvation shortens the cycle time). Good design when it works.

The bread and butter of naval guns is air defense and shore fires. The air defense bit is what changed the game in the pacific in WWII. The introduction of VT fuzing radically altered the balance. Japanese air attacks on ships became suicidal, and the loss rate of experienced pilots extreme. They never recovered from this.

Shore fires speak for themselves, although the navy has given up (for now, and a while) real reach and hitting power. The 155mm AGS should help some but will be reduced in rate of fire to 10 to 12 rounds per minute (300+ round magazine) and is water cooled.
I am repeating that not an expert.
But think that land gun systems are not so critical to magazine depth. As they (battery of 6 or 8 or 12 guns) should in short time frame carry on target a few hundreds shells and then quickly escape position.
As in few minutes gun locating radar or sound locator will fix their position and conterbattery fire will come back. Unlike WW2 in which guns could stay at the same positions during few days.
Also I think that Excalibur will dramatically improve US Land Forces capabilities together with GMLRS.
For example according to the Soviet norms for indirect fire on ten kilometers for defeating of the typical target "the tank in entrenchment" 150 shells 152mm are needed. Then on each additional 1 kilometer more by formula.
US Forces now can solve the same task with only two Excalibur and at more than even 40 km if shooting from L52 gun.
So, about 15 tons vs. 200 kg (mass of 155mm shell – 42-45kg, total mass shell + propelling charge + packaging – up to 100 kg)
So, less logistical load and more mobile forces.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Enginerd wrote:
TallDave wrote:Enginerd,

I think it's fair to say that at this point no one knows for sure whether Polywell will work out. The loss scaling to reactor size needs to be proven, and given the history of confinement scaling across all fusion projects...
While that is certainly fair to say about you, and me, and everybody posting here who is not under NDA, I do not think we can safely say that "nobody knows". I think it is fair to say that by this point, at least some people do indeed know whether it will work or not.

Some people have access to the full WB-6 and WB-7 data as well as the final Review Commitee Evaluation of the WB-7 and WB-7.1 projects. Since we also now know that the "WB-8 device operates as designed and it is generating positive results", I think it is now safe to say that some rough preliminary WB-8 scaling results are now known to somebody... The fact is, either the machine is currently spitting out neutrons at somewhere within an order of magnitude of the predicted scaling results. Or it is not. Considering the fact that we know the "WB-8 device operates as designed", that suggests that there is little wiggle room to simply paper over "nuanced results".
No, really, nobody knows. Someone might know for sure based on the WB-8 data that WB-100/D will not work, but even with all the WB-8 data looking marvelous I don't think Nebel would have gone so far as to say WB-100/D was a lock to produce one hundred megawatts of net power. The problem is that the fastest loss mechanism can change as you scale, and the fastest mechanism dominates. And we do know some factors like electron thermalization will be affected by different sizes of machine...
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
ladajo wrote:Yes, the newest land designs are up to 10. But more realistically 6 to 8. The most common systems are still at 1 to 2.

I am repeating that not an expert.
But think that land gun systems are not so critical to magazine depth. As they (battery of 6 or 8 or 12 guns) should in short time frame carry on target a few hundreds shells and then quickly escape position.
As in few minutes gun locating radar or sound locator will fix their position and conterbattery fire will come back. Unlike WW2 in which guns could stay at the same positions during few days.
Also I think that Excalibur will dramatically improve US Land Forces capabilities together with GMLRS.
For example according to the Soviet norms for indirect fire on ten kilometers for defeating of the typical target "the tank in entrenchment" 150 shells 152mm are needed. Then on each additional 1 kilometer more by formula.
US Forces now can solve the same task with only two Excalibur and at more than even 40 km if shooting from L52 gun.
So, about 15 tons vs. 200 kg (mass of 155mm shell – 42-45kg, total mass shell + propelling charge + packaging – up to 100 kg)
So, less logistical load and more mobile forces.
Navel gunfire with 5 inch guns inadequate?
I'm certainly no expert either, but isn't the needed capacity rather vague?
Certainly a 16 inch shell is far more powerful, penetrating and frightening. But judging from the Pacific campaign in WWII. shore bombardment by heavy ships- 5,6,8,12,14,16,and even 18(?) inch shells were used, and I don't know if any of them were decisive in a battle, especially against a dug in enemy. One problem was that they were so powerful (and inacurate) that they could not be used near friendly forces. Exceptions were the destroyers that provided 5 inch and smaller direct fire support from close in. The Marine f4U Corsair pilots that learned to give close air support with rockets and machine guns helped also.

On the opposite side, 20, or even 40 mm guns were found to be inadequate against determined kamikaze planes. The plane might have a lot of holes in it, but it might hold together long enough for a determined pilot (or autopilot in a cruise missle) to fly it to it's target. That was the purpose of the 76 mm guns introduced later in the war. It was able to seriously damage the smaller planes with one hit/ near miss. Proximity fused 5 inch guns was even better. I wonder if there are any statistics for the size of the guns, their relative numbers, the number of rounds thrown up, and the efficiency against attacking planes.
Modern CIWS are generally small size, but the accuracy and the huge number of rounds thrown up , compensates.

For shore bombardment size would seem to matter, but if so why is the Literal combat ship equipped with a single 57 mm gun? I might work as a CIWS, but bombardment of the shore?
I suspect accuracy/ guided projectiles far outweighs mass. The Small diameter Bomb illustrates this. A single ~ 100 kg bomb replaces a few sticks of 500 pound bombs.

Leave the few deeply buried command,bunkers for the cruise missiles or Naval aviation, or even Standard Missiles. To fight, an enemy has to expose himself except for possibly thin protection. If you can hit him, you can kill him. I suspect the trend is towards one bullet/ shrapnel per kill rather than 10,000 bullets per kill. Guidance, along with ridiculously capable reconnaissance, and sensors is what will win battles in the future. Essentially, every soldier and piece of ordinance is a sniper, rather than a half blind recruit throwing bullets every which way.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

D Tibbets wrote:Navel gunfire with 5 inch guns inadequate?
Certainly a 16 inch shell is far more powerful, penetrating and frightening. But judging from the Pacific campaign in WWII. shore bombardment by heavy ships- 5,6,8,12,14,16,and even 18(?) inch shells were used, and I don't know if any of them were decisive in a battle, especially against a dug in enemy.
On the opposite side, 20, or even 40 mm guns were found to be inadequate against determined kamikaze planes. The plane might have a lot of holes in it, but it might hold together long enough for a determined pilot (or autopilot) to fly it to it's target. That was the purpose of the 76 mm guns introduced later in the war. It was able to seriously damage the smaller planes with one hit/ near miss. Proximity fused 5 inch guns was even better. I wonder if there are any statistics for the size of the guns, their relative numbers, the number of rounds thrown up, and the efficiency against attacking planes.
Modern CIWS are generally small size, but the accuracy and the huge number of rounds thrown up , compensates.

For shore bombardment size would seem to matter, but if so why is the Literal combat ship equipped with a single 57 mm gun? I might work as a CIWS, but bombardment of the shore?
I suspect accuracy/ guided projectiles far outweighs mass. The Small diameter Bomb illustrates this. A single ~ 100 kg bomb replaces a few sticks of 500 pound bombs.

Leave the few deeply buried command,bunkers for the cruise missiles or Naval aviation, or even Standard Missiles. To fight, an enemy has to expose himself except for possibly thin protection. If you can hit him, you can kill him. I suspect the trend is towards one bullet/ shrapnel per kill rather than 10,000 bullets per kill. Guidance, along with ridiculously capable reconnaissance, and sensors is what will win battles in the future. Essentially, every soldier and piece of ordinance is a sniper, rather than a half blind recruit throwing bullets every which way.

Dan Tibbets
Nobody says that naval 5" gun is inadequate. But adequate for what? I think that for very specific purposes - namely for shore bombardment. Or may be against fast attacking boats if they have not reaction on your order to stop. Also there is saying about limited air defense capabilities (with proximity fuse). That's all.

Even in case of very well trained soldiers (infantrymen) spend as I know 50'000 cartridges per one kill. Snipers only 1.2 as I know.
As I remember for achieving high enough fire density when your enemy is enforced to trough his head on the earth, you should shoot from assault rifle 100 rounds/min and 200 rounds/min from machine gun. Infantry company shoots about 12-15'000 rounds/min. Plus have antitank capability espetially if equiped with modern "fire&forget" antitank missiles. Plus very mobile.
Very seldom are the moments when infantryman sees, aims and kills the enemy. Unlike to snipers who should hide and wait for right moment for engagement. Those are two different kinds of soldiers and they have different tasks.

Yes, reconnaissance, sensors, fast reaction capabilities changes the modern battlefield together with more powerful, accurate and lightweight weapon systems.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Navel gunfire with 5 inch guns inadequate?
Yes, it is inadequate for shore fires. It is only good for soft targets, and has limited range. The reason WWII ships could close the beach enough to hit stuff, was the longer range larger bore tubes behind them suppressing the anti-ship capable arty.
No, the needed capabilities are very specific. The mount needs to perform shore fires, anti-surface, and anti-air. The most effective use is anti-surface, the next is debatable. Certainly it is useful against slower larger air targets, but against manuevering anti-ship sea skimming missiles, it is not. For shore fires, it does not have the required reach and punch that is required by doctrine (and agreements).
Certainly a 16 inch shell is far more powerful, penetrating and frightening. But judging from the Pacific campaign in WWII. shore bombardment by heavy ships- 5,6,8,12,14,16,and even 18(?) inch shells were used, and I don't know if any of them were decisive in a battle, especially against a dug in enemy.
This is a much argued point. However, by doctrine one does not do oppossed beach landings without effective fires. There is a reason for that. As far as effectiveness, large bore rounds are devastating even in proximity. You may not kill get a hard kill, but you certainly get mission kills. The other real pluls of larger bores is range. Hitting brigdes or choke points to cut off or attrite re-enforcements is huge in oeprational fires. Naval Gunnery has filled this role effectvely on numerous occasions. For example, the southern France landings in WWII near Nice were extremely successful due to fires. Both pre-landing preps, and during the assaults. The defending forces were paralized.
One problem was that they were so powerful (and inacurate) that they could not be used near friendly forces. Exceptions were the destroyers that provided 5 inch and smaller direct fire support from close in.
Not true. Every round type has fires guidance on what makes it a "Danger Close" mission. Bigger rounds have bigger circles based on shell effects. For example, a large bore HE penetrator is going to have a smaller Danger Circle than a VT fuzed Shrapnel round popping 50 feet in the air.
The Marine f4U Corsair pilots that learned to give close air support with rockets and machine guns helped also.
Yes, CAS has become a element of Joint Fires during assaults, however, CAS works more methodically with phase lines than arty must. It is due to ground mobility, speed of the battle, and stay times. Arty is much more flexible and safe in this regard. A well tuned FSCC can reek havoc with ground fires.
On the opposite side, 20, or even 40 mm guns were found to be inadequate against determined kamikaze planes. The plane might have a lot of holes in it, but it might hold together long enough for a determined pilot (or autopilot in a cruise missle) to fly it to it's target. That was the purpose of the 76 mm guns introduced later in the war. It was able to seriously damage the smaller planes with one hit/ near miss. Proximity fused 5 inch guns was even better.
The introduction of VT fuzes was the game changer for Air defense. Only an idiot pilot gets within gun envelopes now. The Argentines were able to pull off some pretty crazy runs in the Falklands based on terrain masking, as do the Brits now-a-days up in Faslane, but again, a littoral fight with terrain masking. But the days of strafing armed vessels is over, and has been since we introduced VT fuzes. These came in all calibers and when tied to radar directors, were extremely devasting. Even the optical directors were brutal. Here is a good page to check out the Mk32 gun system and other 5inch mounts from WWII. Note the use of radar directors.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12_pics.htm
I wonder if there are any statistics for the size of the guns, their relative numbers, the number of rounds thrown up, and the efficiency against attacking planes.
Yes, substantially so. For example on 4 June at Midway of 146 US aircraft lost only 2 were by Japanese AAA. Whereas use by US forces of VT fuzed ammunition went from 2000 rounds per kill to about 500. Other estimates are even better.
Yes and no. CIWS is a 20mm round (not that small) and it is innaccurate by design. The tracking system is very accurate, but the weapon itself has a designed in dithering to spray the rounds in a shotgun like effect.
The 57mm is not designed nor intended for shore fires.
Welcome to modern precision guided warfare. One sorty can now make multiple kills, whreas in the old days, multiple sorties were required for one kill. It is also cheaper.
Leave the few deeply buried command,bunkers for the cruise missiles or Naval aviation, or even Standard Missiles.
Tomahawk has limited hard target utility. In can do the job, but is not that versatile. Standard Missiles have no shore engagement capability. They are anti-air and anti-surface only.
To fight, an enemy has to expose himself except for possibly thin protection. If you can hit him, you can kill him. I suspect the trend is towards one bullet/ shrapnel per kill rather than 10,000 bullets per kill. Guidance, along with ridiculously capable reconnaissance, and sensors is what will win battles in the future. Essentially, every soldier and piece of ordinance is a sniper, rather than a half blind recruit throwing bullets every which way.
Yes and somewhat no. Suppression fires are still alive and well. It is what enhances mobility and "lines of fire" control.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Ladajo,
ladajo wrote:No, the needed capabilities are very specific. The mount needs to perform shore fires, anti-surface, and anti-air. The most effective use is anti-surface, the next is debatable. Certainly it is useful against slower larger air targets, but against manuevering anti-ship sea skimming missiles, it is not.
Would you like to say that it is possible to develop the artillery mount effective against approaching antiship missiles?
For example I have read that when approaching sea skimmers are damaged only by fragments (as you are proposing) in the most cases that does not change its directions but missile continuous to fly like throughn parallelly to water flat-shaped stone hitting with high probability the defended vessel.

And only direct hit (not fragments) would be effective.

The similar problem has also an Anti-ballistic Missile Defense. And new THAAD missile has not fragmentation warhead at all. But so called “kill vehicle” without any explosive).

And so, as Rolling Aeroframe Missile (RAM) has high direct hit probability, its usage would be the most effective.
Vertically launched Standard missile can not be used as sea skimmers appearing only at a direct vision distances (about 5 nautical miles = ~9km).
And also I heard that on most US vessels 20mm CIWS mounts (Phalanx) has been changed on SeaRAM mounts.
Am I right?