IEC fusion in the news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

IEC fusion in the news

Post by choff »

I've been a little under the weather lately, but I was just watching the CBC a few minutes ago, and I saw President Obama shaking hands with some students in front of a display that said Electrical Inertial Confinement Fusion on top. It was just background to the story about the troubles in the ME and his asking the regions leaders to show restraint. Anybody else see it, I'll try to find a link.
CHoff

choff

Post by choff »

CHoff

Axil

Post by Axil »

“This is remarkable stuff; we couldn't be prouder of you,” he said. “Tell your parents they're doing something right.”

http://www.kptv.com/yourvote/26920002/detail.html

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Is there any difference between electrostatic inertial confinement and inertial electrostatic confinement? If we can trust the reporter in the following news segment (heh), the former is a type of cold fusion:

http://www.kgw.com/news/neighborhood-ne ... 83503.html

I guess if the containment vessel is small enough, it must be "cold". However, there appears to be a plasma inside from the brief image shown in the news segment. I think I see two tori. Whatever it is, it's certainly a different setup than the conventional spherical fusor.

I'm not sure what quantum ternary algorithms have to do fusion. Perhaps the discussion was over someone else's project:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/ind ... lists.html

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

I found a couple more recent stories on these students' project here and here. Going by the first story, it would appear to be a variety of either beam-target or inertial confinement fusion. The electrostatic part has to do with focusing the beam. The beam is hydrogen and the target is frozen deuterium. According to the first article the containment vessel is composed of plastic and aluminum. According to the second article the device is powered from a wall socket and has achieved fusion three times so far.

The students won first place in the electrical and mechanical engineering category of the Beaverton Hillsboro Science Exposition, and will be going on to compete at the Intel Northwest Science Expo on April 1st.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

The Intel Northwest Science Expo was held yesterday. The students' project, "Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Fusion Focused with Electrostatic Focusing Lenses", was selected as a finalist for the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, which will be held in Los Angeles, May 8-13. Other than that brief mention, I have seen no recent press on this project.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

And they won a couple of prizes: $5000 Best of Category Award in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, and a $3000 First Place Award in the same category.

See here for more fusion-related results from the 2011 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

Holy crap. I met those guys at the ITER summer school here at UT last summer. Small world.
Carter

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

I haven't been following this story lately, but then it seems nobody else has either. :P Anyway, I found an interesting story from May 21. The salient points are that the students have got their project working for as much as 10 minutes at a time (9 minutes longer than ITER is shooting for), and that they've generated 25 kilovolts of power, but are shooting for 100 kilovolts.

Question: if the device uses a 120-volt wall socket and produces 25,000 volts, does that mean it has achieved a fusion energy gain of ~200?

choff

Post by choff »

Might be a typo, but if it isn't, I hope they have good shielding.
CHoff

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Ivy Matt wrote:Question: if the device uses a 120-volt wall socket and produces 25,000 volts, does that mean it has achieved a fusion energy gain of ~200?
Volt is not an energy power unit.
To know if any gain was made you need to know two additional data:
1) the input and output amperes
2) the total time of draining/delivering of that power (Volt x Amperes).

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Well, something seemed wrong to me when I saw "kilovolts" being used (presumably) for the output of the device, as I'm more used to seeing units such as joules and watts. Perhaps I should trust my instincts more than those of the journalist who reported the story.

I asked the same question on the Focus Fusion forums, and the answer I got from a physicist there is that the project's power supply would convert the 120 V AC current into a 25 kV DC potential difference that is applied to the electrodes.

Although I'm beginning to wonder if there's another possibility: that the journalist heard "kiloelectron volts" and decided the "electron" part was unnecessary. Assuming this hypothesis is correct, does a goal of 100 keV indicate that they're aiming to use advanced fuels?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Ivy Matt wrote: .........
Although I'm beginning to wonder if there's another possibility: that the journalist heard "kiloelectron volts" and decided the "electron" part was unnecessary. Assuming this hypothesis is correct, does a goal of 100 keV indicate that they're aiming to use advanced fuels?
Many simple fusors use drive energies of 100+keV for D-D fusion. Why not these guys?

After all, D-D PEAKS at about 1MeV. With D-D, the more the merrier, for quite a while.