General fusion Funding

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5

General fusion Funding

Post by mvanwink5 »

Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

It's amazing - for a company that has failed to get any of its first 5 patent applications accepted. There I was thinking that getting IP was kinda important for investors!

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

That's okay, they'll be sure to be granted their patents after they've proven their device to work. :wink:
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

That is great news!
Lets hope they will show us some working devices soon. Their idea is probably among the most "fun" of all of them. "Steam Punk" Fusion, how cool is that?
He who has a picture in his mind of the whole machine being covered in brass plating with a guy wearing welding goggles and a victorian suit at the controls ;)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

That will be cool indeed :)
Is good to see guys that can afford to make some risky investments like this.

I wonder how Jeff Bezos other investment (BlueOrigin.com) is going.

nextbigfuture

Blue Origin got $22 million from NASA

Post by nextbigfuture »

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/04/nasa-b ... ssors.html

Blue Origin of Kent, Wash., will receive $22 million to further the development of its space vehicle design and pusher escape system. Blue Origin was established by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos and is developing the cone-shaped vertical launch vehicle New Shepard.

krenshala

Re: Blue Origin got $22 million from NASA

Post by krenshala »

nextbigfuture wrote: http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/04/nasa-b ... ssors.html

Blue Origin of Kent, Wash., will receive $22 million to further the development of its space vehicle design and pusher escape system. Blue Origin was established by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos and is developing the cone-shaped vertical launch vehicle New Shepard.
Nice to see the Delta Clipper hasn't been dropped by the wayside. ;)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Nice to see the Delta Clipper hasn't been dropped by the wayside.
Yeah, they are kinda simillar.
I really like hearing that they have plans for a larger vehicle that will be orbital instead of just suborbital. Good stuff!

Giorgio

Re: Blue Origin got $22 million from NASA

Post by Giorgio »

nextbigfuture wrote: http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/04/nasa-b ... ssors.html

I missed that one. Thanks for the head up!

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Excellent news.

The more ideas that are funded, the better the odds one of them will pan out into something economically useful.

Plus, I can't wait to see this thing in action. Even if it doesn't work, it's a steampunk dream machine!
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Even if it doesn't work, it's a steampunk dream machine!
Agreed, I think they should hire the guy that made this to do the controls ;)
http://steampunkworkshop.com/organ-cockpit-desk

And the reactor itself DEFINITELY needs some bronze plating ;)

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Someone asked the question of polywells: "When could we have built them?" The answer, IIRC, was early-mid Twentieth-century.

Same for the General Fusion approach: "When could we have built them?" In the Victorian Era? Wild! :o
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Same for the General Fusion approach: "When could we have built them?" In the Victorian Era? Wild!
No, the computer technology to accurately control the pistons was not available yet at the time. Even today it could be a problem. AFAIK, it is one of the main engineering challenges that they are facing.
All the pistons have to be released within microseconds (or less?).

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

My main issue with General Fusion is the propagation of the wave into the rotating lead/lithium solution.
Even small variation of density and temperature will modify the propagation of the waves rendering the focusing at the center difficult.

I am curious to see what type of solutions they will come out with to monitor and solve this point.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well they allegedly got it to work in a small scale prototype by using explosives.
Scaling this up may become a challenge though.