Reactor Dome blown away.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Reactor Dome blown away.

Post by Diogenes »

Meltdown May Be Underway; Reactor Containment Dome Blown Away

Above the post update: The containment dome on Fukushima #1 has been blown down. Radiation has leaked; people have been evacuated, but the good thing is the wind has been from the west all day. (The plant is located next to the ocean on the east side of Japan.) See the latest updates below for more information.
http://minx.cc/?post=313275
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

You are late to the game. There is already a thread in general.
From what I understand, this was "only" the pumping system that exploded, not the actual reactor. Officially everything is still contained.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I have seen the video countless times on TV today. I think is too early to think to a possible meltdown considering that until now there has been no reports of spikes in radiations levels in the area.
The explosion might have been generated by other means like the blow up of the Fuel (or natural gas) tank storage area.

Crossing my fingers here. What we do not need now is another Chernobyl type hysteria.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

Giorgio wrote:Crossing my fingers here. What we do not need now is another Chernobyl type hysteria.
If we do, we can kiss U.S. nuclear power and all heavy industry goodbye. It will all go to China and other Asian countries.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

so chernobyl was just hysteria? Whew, i can go ahead and get a nuke plant installed right in my backyard then :P

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Look over the fence, there are a few.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

zbarlici wrote:so chernobyl was just hysteria? Whew, i can go ahead and get a nuke plant installed right in my backyard then :P
Chernobyl was a big disaster, no doubt about it.
I was referring to the hysteria against anything that contained the Nuclear word inside its name that came after Chernobyl.
This has conditioned our government to stop our nuclear program, and as a consequence almost all of our energy needs is derived from imported coal, oil and gas.
The high cost of fossil fuels imports is one of the main cause for which our economy is not anymore competitive and we are on the verge of financial default.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

zbarlici wrote:so chernobyl was just hysteria? Whew, i can go ahead and get a nuke plant installed right in my backyard then :P
If the ACTUAL Chernobyl disaster caused X amount of damage, the hysteria probably caused 10X, but those costs are never tallied.

* How many people died that winter due to lack of housing after being moved from perfectly good units due to the hysteria?
* Heck, how many died in traffic accidents while moving them all?
* How many have died by starvation due to food needlessly thrown away?
* How many people have died due to lack of available clean energy from nukes not built because of the hysteria?
Now compare that to a REALISTIC projected final tally of ACTUAL radiation related deaths from Chernobyl. Not the idiotic initial "linear-no offset" model that the anti-nukes (Greens, EPA-ers) who seem to control such things use; but a realistic assessment using hormesis. The horrible radiation exposure death toll hasn't happened.
The real disaster at Chernobyl was the lack of follow-up and valid scientific assessment. Oh whell!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The plants in Japan wont turn into another Chernobyl. They cant, period.
Of course the anti nuclear power crowd is already spreading all sorts of nonsense and trying to instigate panic.
I hope they all die of lung cancer from their coal plants. Idiots!

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

ladajo wrote:Look over the fence, there are a few.
I don`t need to. I`m in a place of hydro energy export(most of it anyways) to the south. Now all we gotta do is hold the dang poiticians to task make sure the utilities don`t overtax us for something they don`t have the right to. :)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

zbarlici wrote:
ladajo wrote:Look over the fence, there are a few.
I don`t need to. I`m in a place of hydro energy export(most of it anyways) to the south. ... :)
And just in case we haven't said it enough (we probably haven't!) THANK YOU! :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, and the Eskimo tribes as well.

If any on this thread are interested, over in the General Thread, we are getting into some of the (simplified) specifics of the failure modes for the accident.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

On the hydro power thing. Austria is big on hydro power. We have a lot of hydro power plants. But, one always has to look at those numbers...
On average an Austrian river power plants produces 10 megawatts...
A nuclear powerplant, even a small one produces about 600 Megawatts...
We dont have 60 10 MW hydro power plants in Austria.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

Skipjack wrote:The plants in Japan wont turn into another Chernobyl. They cant, period.
Of course the anti nuclear power crowd is already spreading all sorts of nonsense and trying to instigate panic.
I hope they all die of lung cancer from their coal plants. Idiots!

dont worry, in 5 years, we will have clean abundant energy thanks to Polywell reactors all over the globe!! :lol:

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

dont worry, in 5 years, we will have clean abundant energy thanks to Polywell reactors all over the globe!!
I wished I could believe that...