EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes
Posts: 6949
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Ft. Sill Oklahoma

Re: EM Drive

Postby Diogenes » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 am

Scientists receive $1.3 million to study new propulsion idea for spacecraft




Spacecraft and satellites could in future be launched into space without the need for fuel, thanks to a revolutionary new theory.

Dr Mike McCulloch, from the University of Plymouth, first put forward the idea of quantised inertia (QI) – through which he believes light can be converted into thrust – in 2007.

He has now received $1.3million from the United States Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for a four-year study which aims to make the concept a reality.



https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/news/scienti ... spacecraft
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Taliesin
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: EM Drive

Postby Taliesin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:21 am

Or Intense laser light exciting electrons as propulsion?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141422.htm

williatw
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: EM Drive

Postby williatw » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 am

Diogenes wrote:Scientists receive $1.3 million to study new propulsion idea for spacecraft




From your posted link:


The theory has already predicted galaxy rotation without dark matter, and the fact that if a system is accelerated enough – such as a spinning disc or light bouncing between mirrors – the Unruh waves it sees can be influenced by a shield. Therefore, if a damper is placed above the object, it should produce a new kind of upwards thrust.


Sound like Dr Mike McCulloch work is similar to Shawyer's EMDrive:

EmDrive: British scientist's 'new physics' theory accidentally proves controversial space propulsion works

British physicist Dr Mike McCulloch of Plymouth University has presented results on a new theory.

And while he respects Shawyer for his invention and believes that ultra-fast propellant-less space travel will one day be possible, like many scientists McCulloch does not agree that Shawyer understands the real reason why EmDrive works.

"He is using special relativity but he's claiming a violation of the conservation of momentum. In order to do that, you really do need new physics, which is what I'm suggesting. He's suggesting there's nothing new under the sun, that this can be allowed. I don't accept that. Conservation of momentum has been very well tested and it should apply to special relativity as well," he stressed.

"In order to extract the energy required to do this, it has to be new energy and it has to come from somewhere, and I'm saying it's coming from information, which is a very new kind of physics. I've found I can get my theory to work by assuming that what is conserved is not mass and energy, but mass, energy and information stored on horizons."


https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-briti ... ce-1556098

This is from two years ago but it sounds like what some of us here have said; that Shawyer may well have stumbled onto something but be wrong about why his effect occurs/works. That might explain some of the difficulty in reproducing it. Dr Mike McCulloch is a PHD physicist Shawyer I believe is an engineer; maybe that says it all.

Diogenes
Posts: 6949
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Ft. Sill Oklahoma

Re: EM Drive

Postby Diogenes » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 pm

williatw wrote:
From your posted link:


The theory has already predicted galaxy rotation without dark matter, and the fact that if a system is accelerated enough – such as a spinning disc or light bouncing between mirrors – the Unruh waves it sees can be influenced by a shield. Therefore, if a damper is placed above the object, it should produce a new kind of upwards thrust.


Sound like Dr Mike McCulloch work is similar to Shawyer's EMDrive:



I noticed that too. Thought it might be of interest in this thread.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Diogenes wrote:
williatw wrote:
From your posted link:


The theory has already predicted galaxy rotation without dark matter, and the fact that if a system is accelerated enough – such as a spinning disc or light bouncing between mirrors – the Unruh waves it sees can be influenced by a shield. Therefore, if a damper is placed above the object, it should produce a new kind of upwards thrust.


Sound like Dr Mike McCulloch work is similar to Shawyer's EMDrive:



I noticed that too. Thought it might be of interest in this thread.


Yeah, it's the same asymmetrical geometry claims we're taught don't work in intro physics, repackaged.

Diogenes
Posts: 6949
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Ft. Sill Oklahoma

Re: EM Drive

Postby Diogenes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:51 pm

ScottL wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
williatw wrote:
From your posted link:




Sound like Dr Mike McCulloch work is similar to Shawyer's EMDrive:



I noticed that too. Thought it might be of interest in this thread.


Yeah, it's the same asymmetrical geometry claims we're taught don't work in intro physics, repackaged.



Somehow this PHD must have missed that part.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Diogenes wrote:Somehow this PHD must have missed that part.


Not to be snarky, but I can't help but point out that McCulloch's PhD is in Physical Oceanography. If one PhD is as good as the next to talk about differing subjects, then My BS in Comp. Sci. and EE must make me a reasonable authority in nuclear reactors, albeit I've never worked on or with one. You get my immediate hesitation and skepticism I hope. I would also add that several notable physicists have intellectually ripped to shreds his theory, but that is my layman opinion based on their response to this initial theory. I'm going to trust the community that has devoted their lives to physics over the guy just coming in to the subject with a few demonstrably false ideas.

I should name a few things that don't jive with this theory probably, just to be thorough. His theory implies the ability to exceed the speed of light, massive photons, etc.

williatw
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: EM Drive

Postby williatw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 pm

ScottL wrote:Not to be snarky, but I can't help but point out that McCulloch's PhD is in Physical Oceanography.



I gained a BSc in Physics at the University of York, and a PhD in Physical Oceanography (ocean physics) at the University of Liverpool. I have suggested (and published in 21 journal papers) a new cosmological model for inertia (called Quantised Inertia, QI or MiHsC) which predicts galaxy rotation without dark matter and cosmic acceleration without dark energy, without any adjustable parameters. QI predicts that inertia is controllable & lab tests of this are continuing. QI suggests a new, propellant-less, way to launch spacecraft and propel them.



https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/staff/mike-mcculloch

I guess you were right...apparently I was mislead by the article calling him a "physicist" and adding the "Dr." before his name; a little misleading that.

ScottL
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:32 pm

williatw wrote:https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/staff/mike-mcculloch

I guess you were right...apparently I was mislead by the article calling him a "physicist" and adding the "Dr." before his name; a little misleading that.


I frequent /r/physics over on reddit. His theory came up and a dog pile ensued. The general consensus from that community was that McCulloch doesn't really know what he's talking about. While still a community with ample laypersons, there are some decent physicists and post-docs that provide feedback. I know Dr. Sean Carroll (physicist) commented on the validity of the theory and the response was less than stellar. Topics such as the EMDrive have been banned since that time on that sub due to their pseudo-science-like nature.

paperburn1
Posts: 2361
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 am
Location: Third rock from the sun.

Re: EM Drive

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 pm

I thought the german already found the source of the unexplained push and it was a design /test flaw and no neal propulsion was found.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes
Posts: 6949
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Ft. Sill Oklahoma

Re: EM Drive

Postby Diogenes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:06 pm

ScottL wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Somehow this PHD must have missed that part.


Not to be snarky, but I can't help but point out that McCulloch's PhD is in Physical Oceanography. If one PhD is as good as the next to talk about differing subjects, then My BS in Comp. Sci. and EE must make me a reasonable authority in nuclear reactors, albeit I've never worked on or with one. You get my immediate hesitation and skepticism I hope. I would also add that several notable physicists have intellectually ripped to shreds his theory, but that is my layman opinion based on their response to this initial theory. I'm going to trust the community that has devoted their lives to physics over the guy just coming in to the subject with a few demonstrably false ideas.

I should name a few things that don't jive with this theory probably, just to be thorough. His theory implies the ability to exceed the speed of light, massive photons, etc.



You make a valid point. I didn't bother looking up his PHD because it never occurred to me that it would be in anything other than Physics. This is but another example for me to remember that people are often weird.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 pm

paperburn1 wrote:I thought the german already found the source of the unexplained push and it was a design /test flaw and no neal propulsion was found.


Tajmar reported a negative result, if that is who you're talking about.


Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests