EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

birchoff
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EM Drive

Postby birchoff » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:00 am

ScottL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ScottL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:56 pm

I didn't find the leaked paper very convincing. While I'm not a physicist, I did note some issues that my CSEE degree at least recognizes.

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:34 am

Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio-Frequency Cavity in Vacuum
Harold White, Paul March, James Lawrence, Jerry Vera, Andre Sylvester, David Brady, Paul Bailey
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:03 am

The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:58 am

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:21 pm

I haven't read past sections II A and B yet, but it sounds an awful lot like a variant on an MET so far (in as much as I think I understand how the MET is working, that is :D ).

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:41 pm

The Peer-Reviewed EmDrive Paper Is Officially Out

http://www.iflscience.com/space/the-pee ... ially-out/

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm

RERT

Postby RERT » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:06 pm

They say the RF amp was on the Torsion pendulum arm.

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Aw, come off it guys.

I did a BOE calculation on this last night, thinking that 1.2 mN is less thrust than a good fart, but I was in error. It is actually several times as much thrust as a good fart, plus it is continuous and not just a fraction of a second.

Still, I produce gas while running considerably less than 1 kW.

The thing is, it does appear to do something, and that's good enough to get others to try to confirm it, taking all the potential objections into account. And it encourages theories to try to figure out how it could happen.

A friend of mine (credibility undetermined) believes there are some twisted around ways of applying Maxwell's equations that should do a lot better. He'll then demonstrate some right hand rule orientations not normally considered, and show that forces can emerge which are not equal and opposite. So maybe this cockeyed cone is just producing some interactions at odd angles that don't show up in a well-designed waveguide, and maybe the shape can be made better.

Let it play out. The apparatus ain't bad for a budget attempt, tho' it could clearly use improvement to overcome the objections.

Or maybe, like the FTL anomoly in a neutrino experiment, they'll find a bad connector in the setup.

RERT

Postby RERT » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:40 pm

My BOE says 300 micro-Newtons will keep Cannae's 6U cubesat on station at 180km (very low altitude) forever.

1.2mN/Kw would only require a small solar panel to power it.

tokamac

Postby tokamac » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 am

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:38 pm

williatw

Postby williatw » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:24 am

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:52 pm

If the EM drive works by pushing on ambient dark matter that addresses the conservation of energy-momentum objection. But it also implies that performance strongly depends on the local dark mater motion frame (unless interaction favors dark matter particles with a favored relative velocity). And since the dark matter density is normally a practical vacuum, it has very little to push against even if all the dark matter in the resonant chamber can be used as reaction mass.

And if photons in a chamber can push on dark matter it raises the question of why this not entirely dark matter doesn't block much starlight.

Return to “News”