WB-8 article

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

WB-8 article

Post by TallDave »

May have been linked before, doesn't add much, and is on the Focus Fusion website, but here it is.

http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/article/emc2/
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Professor Science

Post by Professor Science »

Dreadful tease. So, we're not really expecting anything till late April? and at that point all we might be allowed to know is that the military is making it a strategic power source secret, followed by a freedom of information request on our part? Is that an accurate/concise summary of polywell news?
The pursuit of knowledge is in the best of interest of all mankind.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Doesn't add much? It's essentially the Oct-Dec 2010 quarterly update with some background information for those who aren't already familiar with EMC2 and the Polywell. For those who are already on Talk Polywell, I should say it doesn't add anything. Still, I'm amused to see it here. :)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Why are you expecting anything in April?

I think that getting a lot of data in April would be a BAD thing. It would suggest to me that the Navy has decided not to procede.

About the best news I can imagine is no news (except for some indication that the option was awarded). I'm not totally convinced we will even see that.

Professor Science

Their final report is due at the end of this April
Is it unreasonable to think that when a final report is due in April, some kind of report would be produced in April? or has language stopped being used to convey information?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

True, but they are seeming to be behind schedule with not getting a plasma until November. That would imply they may slip on the April target, if they are following similar testing protocol from WB6 and 7 timelines.
Lots of careful ramp ups...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Professor Science wrote:
Their final report is due at the end of this April
Is it unreasonable to think that when a final report is due in April, some kind of report would be produced in April? or has language stopped being used to convey information?
The distinction that seems often to be lost here at TP is that between "some kind of report" and "some kind of report to us". If a report is filed in April, do we care?

Dr. N said something like "We will know in about 18 months".
I guess the question then remains "what mean 'we' paleface?"

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

After April, we will at least know something we don't today: whether the project has been extended beyond April.

OTOH, I'm not entirely sure how the fight over ARRA affects this project irrespective of results. Any opinions on that?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nebel gave an interview after April whatever happens, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

The final report (to the Navy) on the WB-8 project is due at the end of April according to the latest publicly available information. If that information changes, it changes. That it has already changed is still speculation as far as I know.

There is also a status update (to the public) due to be posted at the end of April on Recovery.gov. Whether it will contain any useful information is as yet unknown. However, it is not likely to contain much detail.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ahh, true, but it should give a percentage completion. And given the project is complete for "April" according to the contract, the Jan-Mar update should reflect that they are on schedule or not, as required by recovery act reporting requirements. Note, that previous reports stated on schedule, until the latest. Which dropped this, but did say plasma in November.
Looking the timelines inferred in the contract, as well as testing timelines from WB6 and 7, it would seem that they should have had plasma before November.

Nik

Working three shifts...

Post by Nik »

Our IT department used to make grim jokes about their three-shift system invoked when line output rate and planned rate did not converge on the due date...

'Tis said that you canna' invent to order: IMHO, Polywell research has not yet reached the 'scaled-up' stage...

I'd rather be wrong.

Professor Science

KitemanSA wrote:The distinction that seems often to be lost here at TP is that between "some kind of report" and "some kind of report to us". If a report is filed in April, do we care?

Dr. N said something like "We will know in about 18 months".
I guess the question then remains "what mean 'we' paleface?"
Stet, I'm just getting frustrated, waiting for some, some iota of data to finagle at for over 4 years now. I heard about polywell as a senior in highschool and I've almost graduated from undergrad.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Grasshopper, young you are. Patience must have we.

I am sure that we will all know one way or the other before this year is out.

The really crappy part would be that it remains with difficulty, enough so the navy moves on to something else, but EMC2 says, we still have found nothing to say it will not work. It is just really hard to make it work.

I, for myself, choose to remain optimistic. If I can not reach out to the stars in a Polywell powered ship, then maybe my kids will. And I can assure you, my mad scientist wanna-be son will love it.

This, like any research projects, may not be a certain thing, but, it continues to show enough to keep pulling the string to see what is at the end. That in itself deserves some measure of faith. Or as Chris may say, it is a form of religion. :wink:

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

http://www.npre.illinois.edu/Miley_congrats.pdf

If anyone wants to talk to Rick, he will be at George Miiley's retirement in April.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Professor Science wrote:Stet, I'm just getting frustrated, waiting for some, some iota of data to finagle at for over 4 years now. I heard about polywell as a senior in highschool and I've almost graduated from undergrad.
Well, see the bright side of it... at least you didn't waste your time while waiting ;)