BLP news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JoeP

Re: BLP news

Post by JoeP »

That report reads like the kind of "scfi-talk" that the writers of Star Trek come up with when they need some technical sounding dialog.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Randal Mills created a bunch of jargon back in the 80's when he first published his hydrino theory. No one else uses those terms so if you haven't heard it before, it would seem strange.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Maybe he is just trying to finance a new condo in the Bahamas.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

GIThruster wrote:Randal Mills created a bunch of jargon back in the 80's when he first published his hydrino theory. No one else uses those terms so if you haven't heard it before, it would seem strange.
Yeah. I've read a little of his stuff (press reports) a bit in the past, but it still sounds like made-up fake tech every time I have encountered it. What does he say happens to these “Hydrinos” after the reaction. Can they be examined/collected? Spectroscopy? I suppose the H atoms stay like that forever, if the energy state is lower. Has he tied this stuff to Dark Matter yet? :)

If he is on to anything, it is likely the same thing that LENR/CF supposedly does...if it exits.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

JoeP wrote:
GIThruster wrote:What does he say happens to these “Hydrinos” after the reaction?
From the link:

"We at The ENSER Corporation have performed about thirty tests at our premises using BLP’s CIHT electrochemical cells of the type that were tested and reported by BLP in the Spring of 2012, and achieved the three specified goals,” said Dr. Ethirajulu Dayalan, Engineering Fellow, of The ENSER Corporation. “We independently validated BlackLight’s results offsite by an unrelated highly qualified third party. We confirmed that hydrino was the product of any excess electricity observed by three analytical tests on the cell products. . ."
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Aero wrote:one ten thousandths of a liter - That's one cubic centimeter, isn't it?
Nope. 1/10th of one.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Is he saying he is making Monatomic Hydrogen ?
and what keeps it from returning to H2
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

". . .We confirmed that hydrino was the product. . ." - Dr. Ethirajulu Dayalan

I suppose the above would be meaningful if we got the details of that confirmation process. Sorry in advance if that has been published as I haven't investigated. The energy claims are extraordinary. But the confirmation of a new form of matter as part of that process is even more so.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

paperburn1 wrote:Is he saying he is making Monatomic Hydrogen ?
Nope, a stable state of the hydrogen atom wherein the electron is in a lower energy state than current theory says is possible.

Supposedly this process can be repeated, releasing energy each time, until the electron orbit gets so small that the hydrino fuses with the next thing it runs into.

And supposedly the hydrino can form chenical compounds just like a normal hydrogen atom... rather unusual compounds, so BLP et al say.

... and yes, Dark Matter is explained by this stuff as well.

So it has come to this : claiming megawatts in a public demo by the end of this month?

... whatever may happen at that time there just ain't gonna be enough popcorn to meet the global demand :)

Axil

Post by Axil »

zapkitty wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:Is he saying he is making Monatomic Hydrogen ?
Nope, a stable state of the hydrogen atom wherein the electron is in a lower energy state than current theory says is possible.

Supposedly this process can be repeated, releasing energy each time, until the electron orbit gets so small that the hydrino fuses with the next thing it runs into.

And supposedly the hydrino can form chenical compounds just like a normal hydrogen atom... rather unusual compounds, so BLP et al say.

... and yes, Dark Matter is explained by this stuff as well.

So it has come to this : claiming megawatts in a public demo by the end of this month?

... whatever may happen at that time there just ain't gonna be enough popcorn to meet the global demand :)

If hydrinos are real, are they a cause or an effect? Do hydrinos emerge from more basic processes that only happen in rare and unusual conditions?

For example, cooper pairs of electrons only occur in superconductors. There are very specific and unusual conditions in a solid that produce cooper pairing.

Clearly, hydrinos are not the usual condition of the electrons existence. If hydrinos were common, they would have shown up in many other experiments involving electrons.

Another example is the fractional charge of the electron produced by the fractional Hall Effect. If Mills can demonstrate that hydrinos exist, this unusual state of electron behavior must be one of the unique 500 states of quantum mechanical based matter defined by each unique dance of the electrons between and among themselves.

The question that must then be asked and answered, what is the strange music that these electrons dance to?

In the presence of this new musical tune, what other strange things are happening to other fermions in the neighborhood of these strange electrons who have partially shed their spin and charge: what are the protons doing, do the protons also hear this strange music, and the quarks inside the protons, and the other nuclei in the general vicinity?

It maybe that the hydrino is just one small piece of a bigger puzzle and not the be all and end all of the Mills reaction.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Hydrinos are not strange electrons. They are strange atoms. They are supposedly examples of when an electron is dropped to an energy level below that of the previously understood ground state or lowest possible energy of the atom.

The problem with Mills' theory is not that it predicts something terrible. If we can rip energy out of any hydrogen molecule we come across, such as those found in water vapor; then that's all good news.

The problem with Mills theory is that for it to be correct, almost all quantum mechanics would need to be wrong. This is why people don't take the theory seriously, nor invest the time to understand it.

It's amazing to me, that Mils has managed to do his thing now for almost 30 years, under constant antagonism by any physicist who happens upon his theory. It's just as amazing to me, that he gets along fine with the chemistry community and presents interesting stuff there every year. There is obviously something there. Heck if I know what it is though.

And yes, these hydrinos are supposedly an unusual state of matter because they can only be created by the presence of the appropriate catalyst. Otherwise atoms are restricted to the normal energy levels.

Axil

Post by Axil »

GIThruster wrote:Hydrinos are not strange electrons. They are strange atoms. They are supposedly examples of when an electron is dropped to an energy level below that of the previously understood ground state or lowest possible energy of the atom.

The problem with Mills' theory is not that it predicts something terrible. If we can rip energy out of any hydrogen molecule we come across, such as those found in water vapor; then that's all good news.

The problem with Mills theory is that for it to be correct, almost all quantum mechanics would need to be wrong. This is why people don't take the theory seriously, nor invest the time to understand it.

It's amazing to me, that Mils has managed to do his thing now for almost 30 years, under constant antagonism by any physicist who happens upon his theory. It's just as amazing to me, that he gets along fine with the chemistry community and presents interesting stuff there every year. There is obviously something there. Heck if I know what it is though.

And yes, these hydrinos are supposedly an unusual state of matter because they can only be created by the presence of the appropriate catalyst. Otherwise atoms are restricted to the normal energy levels.

The electron is not a simple concept. It can break up into three separate quasiparticles.

http://www.nature.com/news/not-quite-so ... on-1.10471

Then there is the fractional quantum hall effect where the electron loses it spin and charge by degree in the presence of a magnetic field.

Here is something else with a fractional charge...

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/ ... -particle/

Fractional spin and charge is a result of delocalization of the electron in strongly correlated systems.

The spin and charge seem to wander away from the electron in condensed matter systems.

This fractional spin and charge causes problems in chemistry associated with the dissociation of molecular ions, polarizabilities, barrier heights, magnetic properties, fundamental band-gaps and strongly-correlated systems.

Could what Mills have been seeing over these many years be simply a electron delocalization condition in a strongly correlated chemical system?

His paper lays out the conditions for fractional spins, charge and orbitals as follows:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1305.5194v1.pdf

Extension of many-electron theory and approximate density functionals to fractional charges and fractional spins

The paper above is an explanation for electrons with fractional charges and fractional spins. The collective interactions of electrons in condensed matter is hard to observe and understand, but progress is being made.

Could 'hydrinos' be a result of this multi-electron theory describing fractional-charge and fractional-spin systems? Could 'hydrinos' be a misinterpretation of experimental observations of electrons in condensed matter?

If the spin and charge leave the electron, what happens to the orbit and energy of the electron.

Remember that the quantum properties of the electron can be separated(delocalized) into separate quasiparticles: spin, charge, and orbit in a condensed matter system. Does that complicate the understanding of experimental findings that Mills has made? I think it might.

Could 'hydrinos' be electrons as quasi-particles in quasi-orbtals?

Anticipating some blowback, if you have never heard of quasi-orbitals, then you have some additional learning to do.

The people who say that anything is impossible in the land of quantum mechanics are arrogant and stupid; they have some more learning to do.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

"Randell Mills Comments on Upcoming Blacklight Power Demonstration"
http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/01/rande ... nstration/

Asterix

Post by Asterix »

A good read (published in a real journal, not a website) from 2005:

http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/7/1/127/fulltext/

To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Mills never responded.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Mills did respond to Rathke. That dispute is pretty we documented online, as the paper was posted by Mills on the BLP website. Mills was also defended here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0507193v2

Not saying I'm sympathetic with BLP's physics but that's the short of it.