BLP news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skip, during all the time that Rowan was running their experiment, they stated publicly that it was open science and anyone was welcome to visit and see what they were doing, and use the knowledge they thus gained to do their own replication. I'm as sure as I can be, that if you want to run the same sort of experiment, you'll be able to do so. All you have to do is contact BLP.

When it comes to these sorts of experiments, I'm afraid I have to take the experts at their word that the energy released was vastly more than can be accounted for by other chemical reactions. Despite what Tom says, he does not know. The chemists who did the experiment know and they put their reputations on the line when stating there are no known chemical reactions that can account for so much energy. If someone disagrees, they'll need to show their work. Otherwise, all I'm hearing is baseless opine.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The chemists who did the experiment know and they put their reputations on the line when stating there are no known chemical reactions that can account for so much energy.
Wow. A total revolution in energy production.

Now about the location of the currently operating plants........
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

No value added.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:No value added.
And no operating plants either.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

parallel

Post by parallel »

MSimon,
How do you know the 1 MW plant is not working? Rossi, who is in a better position to know, says it is. Also, that a second plant is nearly ready and with luck will allow visitors.

You shouldn't just make things up.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

parallel wrote:How do you know the 1 MW plant is not working? Rossi,....,says it is. Also, that a second plant is nearly ready and with luck will allow visitors.
The Fox and the Vine Grape
Ancient Greece. Ksanf, who is a rich man and a philosopher brings Clea, his beautiful wife, a present - Aesop, "the ugliest slave in all of Greece",.....
"I can drink the sea" - Ksanf said being drunk and made bet - his entire property and his wife.
"Drink the sea Ksanf" - people said on next day.

Where is that 1 MW plant?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Discussion of Rossi belongs in the threads devoted to Rossi.

And to the snarks who what to whine about deadlines and such they invent themselves, lets all recall the Poly work has been getting funding for 25 years, and it is based upon conventional physics. If the only intent is to be childish and snarky, one could make all manner of complaint about how the Poly will never work based upon the lack of results for a quarter century.

Somehow, people know better when it concerns their pet project.

Please take the Rossi discussion somewhere else and use this thread to discuss the BLP News as it develops.

For instance, note that these "validation reports" are generally half a year old, and BLP is claiming in its May 22 press release that they already have a 10W unit running for several months. They also claim they will have a 100W unit completed in the next six months. Guess we'll see how these claims hold up and I guess we have seen just how interested the skeptics, snarks and trolls here are to read the actual reports and press releases.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

lets all recall the Poly work has been getting funding for 25 years, and it is based upon conventional physics.
1. No unconvential physics. Unconventional engineering, maybe.
2. They never claimed to have a working, operational Polywell reactor that they need funding for. They have always been upfront about the fact that they are not sure it will work. They want to research the the concept and that is what the funding is currently for.
3. The "ingredients" for the polywell concept are known and the results of their investigatons were peer reviewed.

That is a big difference to "we have working powerplants that we are going to commercialize withing x months" and then you dont hear anything about it for years until they come up with yet another bold claim.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I suppose if one is the whiny sort, these are the things one can whine about. It is true that BLP has led people to believe all they needed was some money for commercial investment in order to have a commercial product. However, they have never said they had working powerplants. These exaggerations make it difficult to take the objections seriously.

I would however note to you, that Bussard himself shopped around for $200 million to go commercial as well, saying all that was needed was "just engineering". People keep pretending the Poly work never had this sort of fund raising happening but the evidence is quite clear from the Google Talks vid. That is a LOT more investment than BLP has ever sought and as we can see, it was quite premature. You can say all you like that it's "just engineering" but that's what both BLP and the Poly people thought and likely think today. The trouble is the engineering is often much more complex and difficult than one would like.

Better would be we all face the fact that when someone says it's "just engineering" they don;t much know what development will take. For more than 50 years, the only thing all fusion research has really needed is "just engineering".

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

parallel wrote: who is in a better position to know, says it is.
:lol:

Knowing and saying are two different things.
parallel wrote: You shouldn't just make things up.
Are you sure?
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

parallel wrote:MSimon,
How do you know the 1 MW plant is not working? Rossi, who is in a better position to know, says it is. Also, that a second plant is nearly ready and with luck will allow visitors.

You shouldn't just make things up.
Rossi knows that Blacklight has a working 1MW plant, and a second one on the way? :?

Also, I'm wondering what "with luck" means. I'd suggest we haven't had much luck with Rossi so far.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Carl White

Re: BLP news

Post by Carl White »

BLP surfaces again:

http://www.financialpost.com/markets/ne ... story.html
This breakthrough transformational power technology can be witnessed in a live demonstration hosted by BlackLight of on January 28th at 11 AM. Details and updates will be posted at the company website (http://www.blacklightpower.com/). Those interested in attending can contact BlackLight to preregister for this limited availability event.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

BlackLight has produced millions of watts of power in a volume that is one ten thousandths of a liter corresponding to a power density of over an astonishing 10 billion watts per liter.

:roll:
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Aero

Post by Aero »

one ten thousandths of a liter - That's one cubic centimeter, isn't it?

millions of watts of power - That's megawatts, or mega J/s, (s) > more than 0.278 kilowatt hours per second. Like 2-3 cents worth of power per second.

It should be detectable but needs to be scaled up :)
Aero

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Yes well, who knows what their experimental error is? They could be pushing that current with just a few volts being they have plasma, or they could have kV and no real power out. But yeah, we're talking about a reaction chamber the size of a bic lighter that could power an MV-22 Osprey. Pretty bold claims. I sent word to NASA's team on LENR. They're not impressed, though, without answers to things like the voltage involved, how could they be?
Last edited by GIThruster on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.