Joe Eck reports superconductivity near 267K (-6C, 21F)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Stoney3K

Re: Joe Eck reports superconductivity near 267K (-6C, 21F)

Post by Stoney3K »

I hope we can get things like this done reliably. Temperatures down to -18C (255K) can be achieved with standard refrigeration gear, like your home freezer, and need only simple working fluids to transport the coolants to the business end of your SC. Not exactly room temperature yet, but at least an achievable temperature with 'household' means.

Now the challenge is to get economical production methods for these SC's up, and people can start playing with them in their garage. ;)
Because we can.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Before thinking to production we will have to wait until there will be a replication of results and indipendent validation for this class of materials.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I'm not picky. I'd settle for that 254 K value. My deep freeze will about hit that. At work I routinely hit -40 C (233 K) with a 2-stage refrigeration system, and can hit -60 C or better.

Sounds like they need to learn to refine to the exact phase or compound doing the superconducting. That will be tedious for the lab workers, but easily worth the work if it pays off.

Nik

Pushing the boundaries...

Post by Nik »

Looks like a small portion of the material has gone superconductive. Pinning down the responsible phase and making it reproducibly will *not* be easy. Then there's the issues about forming into usable shapes and its tolerance of magnetic fields, not to mention temperature cycling...

Whatever, this lies on the extrapolated curve, which suggests the theory is on track. I'm impressed.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I've been out scanning the internet for HTSC demo kits. They all seem to consist of a strong magnet and a disc of HTSC material. Chill down the disc and float the magnet over it.

We received a few meters of sample of a ribbon while I was at the San Diego lab. It was silver foil with HTSC powder sanwiched between. You might actually make something with that.

I'd love to try to make a real electromagnet. I have a source of LN2 available. The tricky part is apparently a shunt that you keep warm until you have current going thru the magnet, then chill down to below critical. At that point you disconnect the external current source and the current continues to flow in the magnet. Does anyone make a kit of this sort?

Superconductors are neat, but if you can't make an electromagnet out of them they're not nearly so useful.

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

Tom Ligon wrote:Superconductors are neat, but if you can't make an electromagnet out of them they're not nearly so useful.
You mean like this?

http://prometheusfusionperfection.com/2 ... t-success/

Yep, that guy should be on these boards somewhere too.
Because we can.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Yes, and he's posted it here. Alas, the network I'm on at the moment considers that a forbidden site.

Wishing to duplicate the feat is what brought this to my mind.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I think we've been looking at trinary reactor cooling up till now. Obviously if we can reduce that to binary that helps us in a couple ways (intercept area, cost).
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...