Tokamaks now proven SUCCESSFUL!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Tokamaks now proven SUCCESSFUL!

Post by chrismb »

General Atomics are a private company running the DIII-D tokamak.

It has just occurred to me that because they have kept on getting funding yet have not announced their success at net-energy output, this MUST mean they are keeping something secret, which can ONLY be that their tokamak is working as intended and it is now beyond the basic research stage!!

As we have discussed before, the continuation of funding is accepted here as proof of success, and therefore their tokamak must be successful!!

Axil

Post by Axil »

I interpret the term “SUCCESSFUL!” to mean that this systems particular fusion scaling equations remain valid as the system grows larger.

A tokamak up scaled to the size of the moon could be termed technically successful and yet be economically untenable.

In terms of power density, I have my doubts about the tokamak technology every being economically competitive in the energy production marketplace.
Last edited by Axil on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GIThruster

Re: Tokamaks now proven SUCCESSFUL!

Post by GIThruster »

chrismb wrote:General Atomics are a private company running the DIII-D tokamak.

It has just occurred to me that because they have kept on getting funding yet have not announced their success at net-energy output, this MUST mean they are keeping something secret, which can ONLY be that their tokamak is working as intended and it is now beyond the basic research stage!!

As we have discussed before, the continuation of funding is accepted here as proof of success, and therefore their tokamak must be successful!!
General Atomics is funded by DOE. To be successful all they have to do is show up, drink coffee and write papers every so often.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

GIThruster wrote:General Atomics is funded by DOE. To be successful all they have to do is show up, drink coffee and write papers every so often.
I am clearly working in the wrong industry... This sounds way better than working for a living. :-)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Isn't that the history of Tokamak research--"money for nothin' an' yer chicks fer freee. . ."
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

chrismb wrote:General Atomics are a private company running the DIII-D tokamak.

GA wrote:The DIII-D Program is a large international program, with 90 participating institutions and a research team of 515 users. General Atomics operates DIII-D for the Department of Energy through the Office of Fusion Energy Sciences as a true user facility.
Sounds a bit different than Polywell, no?
Well, maybe chrismb and ole' "burnt wings" can't distinguish between them, but just about any junior high schooler could. :D
Last edited by KitemanSA on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

c'mon. lighten up guys! Just having a bit of fun.

It won't be long now before Polywell limps into line behind tokamaks in the 'flunked out fusion' queue. But I'll give it another.. how long was it now?... 12mths or so before assuming the worst.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Didn't I have a big grinny face? Ain't I havin fun? :lol: Heck, now I'm laughing out loud!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

chrismb wrote:c'mon. lighten up guys! Just having a bit of fun.

It won't be long now before Polywell limps into line behind tokamaks in the 'flunked out fusion' queue. But I'll give it another.. how long was it now?... 12mths or so before assuming the worst.
April.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

Gosh Chrismb, most of us were pretty sure that when Dr. Nebel said he was gonna know and let everyone know, we estimated it to be April of 2011, it's not 2011 yet, why's this whole thing even a problem?

Honestly, I dont know about everyone else, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just waiting for an answer, then we can all continue with our lives according to the results.

The deadline isnt even done yet, why are you making it such a big deal?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Staunch integrity.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Robthebob wrote:Gosh Chrismb, most of us were pretty sure that when Dr. Nebel said he was gonna know and let everyone know,
Unh, where did he say "and let everyone know"?

Roger

Post by Roger »

GIThruster wrote:Isn't that the history of Tokamak research--"money for nothin' an' yer chicks fer freee. . ."
Such a Dire staement...
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Roger wrote:
GIThruster wrote:Isn't that the history of Tokamak research--"money for nothin' an' yer chicks fer freee. . ."
Such a Dire staement...
left me in some Straits, I can tell you. . .

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Yeah, and if we sing also "So far away from me" we will have the complete research status of fusion in today's world.
Money for nothing to research and result that are far away from me.

And youngsters keep telling me that Dire Straits are outdated.....