Any News about Polywell ?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Ah. Paperwork errors. BFD.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

I was thinking the polywell could be called:
Next Evolution Virtual Electrode Reactor.

Or at least Chris would think it a good name.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

MSimon wrote:Ah. Paperwork errors. BFD.
Or, a Commie plot to kill EMC2 funding and keep backyard fusion reactors out of the hands of freedom loving Americans.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

DeltaV wrote:
Or, a Commie plot to kill EMC2 funding and keep backyard fusion reactors out of the hands of freedom loving Americans.
I don't think it will have much influence on those wanting to build back yard fusion reactors.

I do think Purity Of Essence has morphed into Purity Of Earth which is definitely a Commie Plot.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

BFD... Bussard Fusion Device? :roll:

Aero

Post by Aero »

KitemanSA :P
Aero

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You're so mean!

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

MSimon wrote:I don't think it will have much influence on those wanting to build back yard fusion reactors.
I was referring to buying one at KMart. DIYers will carry on with or without EMC2's data.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Giorgio wrote: http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... riod01.pdf

Page 11

No info tought.
It does list a specific dollar amount, however.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

krenshala wrote:
Giorgio wrote: http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... riod01.pdf

Page 11

No info tought.
It does list a specific dollar amount, however.
That's the "Total Award Amount", already available form the contract award webpage.
http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... =Contracts

vahid

Post by vahid »

sd_matt wrote:I like Polywell.
I Like Polywell too............
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Assuming they can get WB-8 operating at beta=1, if losses scale at something reasonably close to B^.25*r^2 and the power scales at B^4*r^3, then there's a reasonable chance they'll be able to fund a full scale reactor in May.

Rick has said it's best to have two machines going at a time, so May 2011 could see the start of a WB-D/100/9 reactor to go along with the optional WB-8.1 if the WB-8 results look really promising (that would sort of make sense, because then the p-B11 results from WB-8.1 lead naturally into a second reactor for p-B11). If WB-8 results are very disappointing, then we probably won't even see the WB-8.1 built.

So in eight months, we should at least know SOMETHING.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Axil

Post by Axil »

It seems to me that if polywell works well, the navy will classify it and nothing will ever be known about it, ever. Maybe, what you think is best and what the navy thinks is in their interest are two different things.

Why would p-B11 fusion be in the interest of the navy? They are very good at handing neutrons. They understand neutrons. They don’t need to be politically correct, and 9 MeV alpha partials are still very damaging.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Because neutrons make things radioactive, and alphas don't. :roll:

not to mention direct conversion means much less machinery, which means fewer people, and less noise--noise is important for navies who have to worry about subs.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

BTW, isn't august supposed to be one of the milestone points? My dad was thinking that this was one of the times when we should be hearing about peer review or something.
Evil is evil, no matter how small