Honey, I shrunk the proton!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Honey, I shrunk the proton!

Post by Diogenes »

Now that protons are smaller, is that going to make it harder for them to hit each other? :)

http://www.physorg.com/news197727820.html

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Ooppss. Looks like Giorgio beat me to it.

(':oops:')

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

No, the "collision cross section" has been determined experimentally, that is, it is a direct experimental result that if you bash this beam at this energy into this material, statistically so many events occur that can be determined by such and so method.

It means the theory about what will happen if you have a new set of parameters - a new material or energy or what have you - will have to adjust some.

It will explain some of the anomalies experienced in the quarck-gluon plasma experiments, I'd expect.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

WizWom wrote:No, the "collision cross section" has been determined experimentally, that is, it is a direct experimental result that if you bash this beam at this energy into this material, statistically so many events occur that can be determined by such and so method.

It means the theory about what will happen if you have a new set of parameters - a new material or energy or what have you - will have to adjust some.

It will explain some of the anomalies experienced in the quarck-gluon plasma experiments, I'd expect.

I am going to have to quit using the "smiley face" when ever I try to be funny. It has become apparent to me that It is far too subtle to convey the proper spirit of levity. Henceforth, I shall append the phrase "The previous verbiage was meant to be humorous. " :) Ooopppsss. I mean "The Previous verbiage was meant to be humorous. "

:)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

WizWom wrote:No, the "collision cross section" has been determined experimentally, that is, it is a direct experimental result that if you bash this beam at this energy into this material, statistically so many events occur that can be determined by such and so method.

And here we are at the fundamental truth...it is all a guess, a gamble, and statistics don't lie.

This reminds me of the navy's approach to all this, they used to have a phone number in the plant manual to call if the plant failed to start up with in the predicted calculated upper limit. They used to say, if you reach the upper limit, go back to safe, check your numbers, then try again, keep going untill it starts, then call this number and tell us about it. :)

The old west saying applies; "You couldn't hit the broadside of a BARN".
:D