Mach Effect progress

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: Mach Effect progress

Post by GIThruster »

Diogenes wrote:9 is a long way from 30k. Perhaps there is a way to bind one of these higher K materials.

Perhaps i'm not grasping something. How do you get decent movement when you clamp all these disks together in a stack? Is the bolt stretching and relaxing at 30khz?
Yes, it is. This is the difference between ultrasonic force transducers like Jim's thruster as well as the Langevin transducer (transducers you can buy prebuilt on EBay for $20), and displacement actuators which are spring loaded. Langevin's generally have mechanical Q, which is the best numeric measure of the extension of the crystal; of about 700. In order to get this, you have to have a reaction mass which is really just a single layer Bragg reflector or acoustic mirror, that is 1/4 the wavelength of the frequency you use.
What I am envisioning is a free floating crystal

with a capacitor bonded to one or both sides. The crystal will both push and pull the capacitor, and if you make one with a capacitor on each side, the crystal would be separating them when one is more massive and the other is less massive while it would be pulling them when the opposite is true.
If you put an actuator on each side of the active mass, you'll get very close to sinusoidal motion. In order to stop that from being damped too badly, you want to use as light an active mass as possible, hence the ALTAS material we planned to try. You can purchase ALTAS type material caps online very easily, and glue a series of them together. Put them in series and you add the voltage and divide the capacitance, and they'll be much easier to drive.

What you need to be wary of in this are two issues. First, if you put active mass on each side of the actuator, then the thrusts will cancel. That's no help. Second, you need to find a way to have the two drive signals perfectly in phase, or you won't get thrust. The cap needs to drive at 1w, and the actuators at 1w+2w.n (This is unless you can confirm that the caps themselves generate sufficient accelerations to provide the 1w acceleration, in which case the actuators can do just the 2w. To make such a confirmation, I think you'd need a laser doppler vibrometer and I don't know of any rentals services. Let me know if you find one.) Note that you cannot drive the actuators at 1w=the natural resonance R, because at 2R they will go into piezoelectrical antiresonance, where the impedance goes to infinity and no current can enter the stack. 2W cannot = 2R. Jim tried this for ages and it was a failure because of the electrical antiresonance issue he had not understood. 1w needs to be 1/2R.

If you take something like the ALTAS caps and glue them between a pair of cheap piezo actuators, there is a fair chance the setup won't disintegrate. While piezo materials need to be clamped in place at ultrasonic frequencies using what is called a "preload" that is normally about 1/10 the force generated by the actuator, you do not need to preload these materials at all at VHF. If you look at the construction of an ultrasonic cleaning transducer like the Langevin, they're clamped and the ceramic loses about 1/3 its k value from the clamping. If you look at the construction of a higher frequency cleaner, such as a contact lens cleaner operating at 2-5 Mhz, you'll see the ceramic is not clamped. When I discovered this I camped on it and studied it for a long time, eventually even speaking with a medical ultrasound designer who I wanted to do some fabrication work for me. He confirmed that at VHF and above, these materials do not need to be clamped.

So you could try it with and without the clamping but the clamp adds weight. First thing is take some cheap PZT from Steminc and power it in the VHF range to see if it disintegrates. And wear safety glasses. :-) These things create millions of gees acceleration and the tiny bits are sharp.

So ideally for a shuttler, you want to test an actuator, can be any shape if the stuff between a pair; and see it doesn't fly apart unclamped. That will cost you $10. No problem. You can go rectangular, round or annular if you're concerned with heat buildup. Next is bond the caps to each other electrically--probably very careful soldering. Next is bond the caps and actuators together, probably a very hard epoxy bonding is called for--use whatever is the most rigid. You don't then HAVE to use an acoustic mirror, but you will get better results with than without because it is the 1/4 wave reflection that can give mechanical Q's above 1. I'm not sure how you'd create a Bragg reflector as a hobbyist, but FYI, the standard is 7 layers and you want one on each side. But as I said, Jim just uses the one reaction mass and Langevin's get Q's up to 700. Thing is with a proper Bragg, you get mechanical Q's up to 2,500. So its worth investigating after you have a resonant frequency for the active assembly, if you can have reflectors sputtered at a reasonable price. Sputtering services are pretty competitive so the prices are low. Bragg construction at these frequencies is problematic, however. In any case, you want an empirical finding for the frequency rather than calculate it since epoxy makes it impossible to predict what the thing will resonate at when complete.
Perhaps no reasonable size of capacitor can be affixed to a resonator in this manner.

The ALTAS caps are tiny because of their huge capacitance. You need to check to see what frequency they're rated for and work enough below that. They're not Chinese so they are probably properly derated.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:
What I am envisioning is a free floating crystal

with a capacitor bonded to one or both sides. The crystal will both push and pull the capacitor, and if you make one with a capacitor on each side, the crystal would be separating them when one is more massive and the other is less massive while it would be pulling them when the opposite is true.
If you put an actuator on each side of the active mass, you'll get very close to sinusoidal motion. In order to stop that from being damped too badly, you want to use as light an active mass as possible, hence the ALTAS material we planned to try.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not familiar with this ALTAS material. Is there a means by which it can be strongly bonded to an aluminum layer attached to the crystal?

GIThruster wrote:
You can purchase ALTAS type material caps online very easily, and glue a series of them together. Put them in series and you add the voltage and divide the capacitance, and they'll be much easier to drive.

I'll have to think about that for a bit. You can put them in series and drive them opposite if you wire the plates correctly, but i'm not certain if this is the optimal way to do this. It would seem to me that it would likely induce coupling between the drive for the crystal and the drive for the capacitors, which is a bad thing.

What I was thinking of doing was having a drive system for the crystal, and independent drive system for one capacitor, and a different independent drive system for the other capacitor. The idea is to make each component as electrically separated as possible so as to preclude inducing unwanted waveforms onto the components. Also there will be some impedance issues between the crystal and the capacitors, so using three separate drive systems can address that problem as well.

I'll have to ponder this some more.

GIThruster wrote:
What you need to be wary of in this are two issues. First, if you put active mass on each side of the actuator, then the thrusts will cancel.

Not sure you are following me on this concept. You are asserting destructive interference. If you drive them opposite (because they are moving in opposite directions) you can get constructive interference. One would be losing mass while moving backward, while the other would be gaining mass while moving forward. This is what I mean by "Push-Pull". The effects ought to add if you get your drive polarities correct.

GIThruster wrote:
That's no help. Second, you need to find a way to have the two drive signals perfectly in phase, or you won't get thrust. The cap needs to drive at 1w, and the actuators at 1w+2w.n (This is unless you can confirm that the caps themselves generate sufficient accelerations to provide the 1w acceleration, in which case the actuators can do just the 2w. To make such a confirmation, I think you'd need a laser doppler vibrometer and I don't know of any rentals services. Let me know if you find one.) Note that you cannot drive the actuators at 1w=the natural resonance R, because at 2R they will go into piezoelectrical antiresonance, where the impedance goes to infinity and no current can enter the stack. 2W cannot = 2R. Jim tried this for ages and it was a failure because of the electrical antiresonance issue he had not understood. 1w needs to be 1/2R.

If treating them as three independent systems with no coupling between one and the other, i'm thinking this won't be a problem. Unless I am overlooking something it would seem possible to make the capacitors and the crystals electrically unaware of each other's existance. (in a manner of speaking.)

The crystal will do it's expanding and contracting thing, and the capacitors will do their charging thing, and the charging of those capacitors will not be bothering the crystal, and the crystal drive will not be bothering the capacitors. At least this is what i'm thinking.

As for the laser doppler vibrometer, it occurs to me that it might be possible to do something as effective but cheaper and less complicated. Just aim a laser beams at the outside plates of the capacitors (at an angle) and the displacement caused by the movement of the plate ought to modulate the beam enough that a photodetector can pick up a change in intensity which will correspond to plate movement. Might not be as accurate as a fancy piece of equipment but it would seem that it should be able to confirm movement and of what frequency and phase.

Now obviously this cannot be done if everything is clamped in a stack, but with the capacitors free floating on either side of the crystal, their surface plates are readily visible.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Diogenes wrote:I'm not familiar with this ALTAS material. Is there a means by which it can be strongly bonded to an aluminum layer attached to the crystal?
It's been about 5 years since I looked at this issue, and I never ordered any of the caps themselves because we didn't know the wafer they're made from would be so hard to drive, but as I recall, the caps made from this material are on the order of 1mm wide, 2mm high and 0.5mm thick, and the standard epoxy encapsulation. You can find the catalog for them at the bottom of this link:

http://www.tecdia.com/us/products/hf/altas.php

BTW, if you stay with a "free floating crystal", you are talking about a 1/2 wave resonator. That will resonate at twice the frequency for any given piece of actuator material, but with half the displacement and acceleration. I personally think you need far more actuator than active mass, so I would sandwich the active mass between the actuators which is then multiple (antagonistic) 1/4 wave resonance--lower frequency but higher force and displacement.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Just glancing at the catalog, the highest capacitance cap here is the 2.25mm x 2.25mm, 50V, 10,000pF cap. You can sandwich it between a pair of the steminc SMPL3w3TO5410 plates that are 3mm x 3mm and resonate at 3.8 Mhz. You need to verify that's 1/4 wave resoance, and what the max frequency of the ALTAS caps are, but you may be able to do that. At 3.8 Mhz, from the chart on bottom lower right page 2 of the Techdia catalog, looks like you have full capacitance but you want to verify with the right people for your application. Bonding. . .any very low viscosity glue would do. Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) with no filler added has lower viscosity than water, so it will probably just fill the textured surface of the caps and actuators and be fine. I would try that first. If it comes apart go to a stronger bonding agent like epoxy. If that comes apart, you'll have to clamp the assembly.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

And so ends the best year thus far, in the state of the art in advanced propulsion. I’ve been asked twice lately what’s up here, so here’s a little history and a summary of what’s happened this last year.

When I was 13, I wanted to be an astronaut. When I was 16 my physics teachers informed me, that there is no way we’ll ever leave the Earth, apart from the fantastically expensive and very short range endeavors where we all live vicariously, through a small select handful of others who get to leave the Earth for us. Space is too big, we’re too small and that’s the way life is. That sucked. Good thing the high school teachers were wrong.

In 1988, while calculating for his friend Carl Sagan, the distinguished Feynman Professor of Physics at CalTech, Kip Thorne; came up with the equations for building wormholes, otherwise known as “Stargates”. This is where the idea in popular culture comes from. The science, preceded the fiction. Only we can’t build stargates until we find a way to make negative mass. That’s a problem.

In 1997, Mexican theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre created the Alcubierre metric, that shows how to build warp drives for star travel, but again it needs negative mass and we don’t have any. And though it would seem Gene Roddenbury had scooped the physicists when he created the warp drive for Star Trek, turns out he didn’t. Roddenberry was drawing from the best gravity physics of the 1950’s, that of one of the fathers of modern cosmology--the Distinguished Professor of Astrophysics, Dennis Sciama; while he was studying Mach’s Principle at Cambridge under Paul Dirac, the father of modern quantum mechanics. Again, the scientists scooped the fiction writers, but still, we don’t have any negative mass to make the warp drives.

Much less known than either of these events above and between them, was the work of James F. Woodward who discovered how to make negative mass. It’s this discovery that makes the other two worthwhile.

For the last 20 years, the stars have been on the table, and very few even know about it. Far fewer are willing to take up the challenge, and even with that handful, most are distracted through pointless, hopeless, quixotically confused physics that can never deliver, because it violates Einstein’s Equivalance Principle, General Relativity and the Principle of Conservation. The Vacuum Schemes pretend to answer the needs for advanced propulsion, but they can’t because we know they’re wrong, in as much as we know Einstein and conservation are right. This has not stopped the Vacuum Evangelists from distracting everyone from the real science necessary to building starships, so the last 20 years has gone very slowly, but this last year has certainly been the best of the bunch.

Woodward published his book on how to generate negative mass in 2013. It got a fair read by hundreds of engineers and physicists in 2014. People are talking. The physics has been peer reviewed in the proper journals for two decades, but now as result of a popular treatment meant for engineers rather than physicists, something fresh is afoot. The reviews have continued to come in. The lab results continue to come in. Looks like real funding is just around the corner. We may see some historic discovery here in 2015.

How important is this work?

150 years ago, James Clerk Maxwell penned the equations that eventually gave us mastery over the forces of electricity and magnetism--electromagnetism. Back then, there were no futurists who could possibly guess what would be the result. A few tried. Most notably, Jules Verne took a shot in several stories he wrote, painting a picture of life with this mastery. In fact he even went further and postulated what mastery of the atom would be like when he invented the Nautilus in his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Yet even Verne could not have guessed about smartphones. There are today, hundreds of thousands of manifest technologies all as result of Maxwell's equations. Maxwell created a revolution that has changed life for everyone on the planet, from those working in the Whitehouse, to the Masi warrior in deep Africa. (Yes, even the Masi now have more communications and computing power in the palms of their hands with smartphones, than the President of the United States had access to 25 years ago.)

I'm just telling you true, we are on the verge of exactly this sort of revolution in technology. Just as Maxwell gave us mastery over electromagnetism, Woodward is giving us mastery over gravity and inertia or gravinertial technology, and it is going to change all of life, starting with making space travel in our own planetary system safe, quick, convenient and economical.

Woodward’s Mach Effect physics doesn’t just apply to building wormhole generators and warp drives. Much simpler is to build what NASA calls a “Spacedrive” or propellantless propulsion, so we can travel in short periods of time across planetary distances, and start to get our space legs. Expect to see big moves toward this in 2015, starting with some real funding.

It’s going to be an exciting year!

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

GIThruster wrote:For the last 20 years, the stars have been on the table, and very few even know about it. Far fewer are willing to take up the challenge, and even with that handful, most are distracted through pointless, hopeless, quixotically confused physics that can never deliver, because it violates Einstein’s Equivalance Principle, General Relativity and the Principle of Conservation.
HTA flight was on the table starting... oh... 1880 or so. Took until 1903. OTOH, the Montgolfier balloon lifted in 1782. Here's to hoping that Robert Goddard was Joseph-Michel Montgolfier Mk2, and that 1880 Mk2 was 1994 or so...

Seeing the Woodward Flyer manage a few clumsy demonstrations c.late 2017 would be... seriously choice. 8)
GIThruster wrote:Woodward published his book on how to generate negative mass in 2013. It got a fair read by hundreds of engineers and physicists in 2014. People are talking. The physics has been peer reviewed in the proper journals for two decades, but now as result of a popular treatment meant for engineers rather than physicists, something fresh is afoot. The reviews have continued to come in. The lab results continue to come in. Looks like real funding is just around the corner. We may see some historic discovery here in 2015.
Seeing new names publish on Mach Effect work this year has been promising in and of itself. Significantly improved funding is... :)
GIThruster wrote:I'm just telling you true, we are on the verge of exactly this sort of revolution in technology. Just as Maxwell gave us mastery over electromagnetism, Woodward is giving us mastery over gravity and inertia or gravinertial technology, and it is going to change all of life, starting with making space travel in our own planetary system safe, quick, convenient and economical.

Woodward’s Mach Effect physics doesn’t just apply to building wormhole generators and warp drives. Much simpler is to build what NASA calls a “Spacedrive” or propellantless propulsion, so we can travel in short periods of time across planetary distances, and start to get our space legs. Expect to see big moves toward this in 2015, starting with some real funding.

It’s going to be an exciting year!
Most promising, and I sincerely hope you're correct. But after the perpetual disappointments of space and fusion for the last 45 years, I hope you'll forgive some prudent caution and tamping of runaway enthusiasm? If for no other reason than self-preservation. :wink:
Vae Victis

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

GI, had you seen this article from John Baez regarding EM Drive where later he attacks Woodward Theory in the comments?
https://plus.google.com/117663015413546 ... 7vx2G85kr4

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

really AcesHigh... you know how this is going to go already....

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

AcesHigh wrote:GI, had you seen this article from John Baez regarding EM Drive where later he attacks Woodward Theory in the comments?
Quickly perused the comments. Aside from the fact that Baez seemed to have also suffered from the same problem the journalists suffered from when the news broke about Eagleworks (no one read the actual paper). It seems Baez's comments are not somuch about Woodward. It seems that he has conflated White's reference of something Woodward derived/published with Woodward supporting White's work. Which from all of the rant's that GiThruster has documented here and on NSF and a few video interviews of Woodward it is obvious he isnt. I didnt get the impression he is hostile to Woodward's work. More like he doesnt believe that the equations referenced can be used to explain the general underlying description White offers for why the EmDrive works. Its taken me a long time to come to this realization but as a lay person I am realizing that Just because you have a theory and a working experiment doesnt mean your experiment proves your theory. There could be a number of reasons why the experiment worked. The real PITA is doing the experimental leg work to exclude every possible other reason the experiment work and then have your experiment do something that only your theory predicts.

From my perspective the EmDrive is at the point where multiple people have theories, and multiple people have working experiments. The question is how many of those theories and experiments will survive the legwork to exclude other explainations while at the same time accomplishing things the theory predicts.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yeah not enough experiment to go with this much theorizing. Even if so much theory leaves little doubt; so much more pointed the corresponding experimental falsification.
If only I had a couple hundred k$ to spare...
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

AcesHigh wrote:GI, had you seen this article from John Baez regarding EM Drive where later he attacks Woodward Theory in the comments?
It's an interesting post. I don't know who John Baez is, but he seems to be right on in most of his comments. I'd note he's not had time to think through the ridiculousness of the QVF model much, or he would have identfied the real trouble with it, which is that it violates EEP and GR. He did note that it violates conservation, and that you can't push off virtual particles, but he didn't address what Sonny says about how you can--by flatly proposing they have inertial mass but no gravitational mass. Were Beaz to be familiar with that part of QVF, he would have lit into Sonny for violating EEP and GR.

The questions and comments are about average. The mischaracterization by Hamilton Carter of the ARC Lite style balance is just that. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Sonny got the design from Jim at Fullerton. Jim got it from Martin Tajmar's lab in Austria. Martin got it from UCLA I think. It's a well characterized and highly refined balance that is in many ways the best type in the world. For Hamilton to so mischaracterize it makes him seem a troll looking to cause trouble and nothing more.

Early in the comments, Baez says he has no idea who Woodward is. Half way through, upon responding to the wiki page about Woodward, he confuses Sonny's work with Woodward's while noting this QVF is nothing like standard physics. I doubt he has any idea what Woodward's work regards unless he's read Jim's book in the months since this discussion, and I'm not going to chide him for this. I kinda like Baez. He's sharp and sensible.

However, I will note that Baez misunderstands the place of bibliometric indices when he rightly notes Woodward's work is not highly quoted. While he's right to note it is not part of the current scientific paradigm, he's wrong to think this important. That is a circular argument that essentially leads one to conclude science never moves forward and an unfortunate intimation on his part. Bibliometric indices are never a measure of warrant for belief. They have other proper uses. This is a common misunderstanding of how real science gets done. Science does not refer to the status quo, nor appeals to authority, nor appeals to popular belief (which is what bibliometric indices are all about) as all of these are logical fallacies, so obviously, this is an error to point to the indices as a measure of warrant for scientific belief. This is however the kind of mistake scientists make all the time and why scientists really ought to study philosophy of science.

"I could demolish Woodward's ideas directly myself, but it's good for you to develop your own "bullshit detection" strategies."

Okay, so Baez strokes himself in public. Still as wrong as this is, he's hard to dislike too much. I'm sure he regrets having made such a vain and misguided post and left it for posterity attached to his name. After all, he has already said he hasn't looked at Woodward's work, so how does he know he can "demolish" it? Of course he can know no such thing. Doesn't make him all bad. As I said, he's got most of this stuff right. I'd bet if he read Woodward's book, he'd sing a very different tune.

At the worst, we see a very common event where someone who is able to understand does not, and the reason is some small laziness which so often comes from working in a field it is impossible to keep completely abreast of. Nothing to see here. Move along. Let me though note what Baez does right. He has the heart of a scientist, fitting together a puzzle and it's just unfortunate that he refers to popular belief rather than what can lead to real, intellectually justified scientific belief.

The heart of all science is really the same sort of thing you find in a murder mystery for indeed you're solving a mystery of true significance--what is the world really like? It proceeds much the same as a jigsaw puzzle. You fit the easiest parts in place around the edges to start and work from them, by noting logical consistency and and congruence, and by eliminating matches that conflict with the parts you already have. In our case, we already have things like EEP, and GR and conservation in place, and you'd need to have extremely strong warrant to remove those parts of the puzzle. Sonny White does not have this kind of warrant for belief. It's irresponsible to remove things like GR so you can fondle your pet theory, especially when you know there are these perverting influences with their basis in vanity and self-serving ego, that are calling you to self-aggrandize. Responsible puzzleers don't remove the outside frame of the puzzle without good reasons and Sonny hasn't got good reasons to throw EEP, GR and conservation under the bus.

By contrast, consider Woodward's work. There is nothing there that is logically inconsistent with any of the current scientific paradigms. No doubt Woodward's work is an extension of GR, just as was that of Dennis Sciama in the 50's (upon which Woodward's work is based) but in a real sense there is no "new physics" here and there is no "revolution in science" like what is described by Thomas Khun's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. In a revolution in science, you actually pick up sizable portion of the puzzle and throw it away. ZPF theory, the polarizable vacuum theory, the QVF model that is being popularized by the Eagleworks Lab down at Johnson Space Center, all violate Einstein's Equivalence Principle, General Relativity and the principle of conservation, and so I have no trust in these models and theories. Woodward's work is however completely consistent with the current paradigms, theories and models and is only an extension of them based on Mach's Principle. This is an important distinction to bear in mind when measuring warrant for belief in Woodward's theory. Sonny White's QVF model is not even in the same category as Woodward's Mach Effect theory, and the difference is not just that Woodward has peer review and observations to consider. In fact Woodward's work has survived 20 years of peer review now. The big issue here is that QVF lacks both these things (adequate theory and observation) and contradicts Einstein and conservation. IMHO, one should expect failure if you need to say Einstein and the principle of conservation are both wrong.

So what does good science look like? It looks like finding logical coherence with the parts of the puzzle. Woodward's model for the electron is a particularly exciting portion of his theory, since it answers very specifically why we've had for many years this calculation for the velocity of the rotation of the electron at >>c. Woodward figured out that this is not a violation of relativity, but rather a REQUIREMENT of relativity because of the isotropic coordinates with negative mass issue. For this reason I think chapters 6 and 7 in his book are the best part. What Woodward has done in these two chapters alone is worthy of a Nobel. Looks like he solved the mystery of the electron's impossible spin by noting the mystery is solved when you posit it is made of negative mass.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

I read that part of the discussion, and Baez clarifies later that his call for checking for published articles is purely to see how widely the topic is studied, not whether or not the theory is right or wrong.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Well that's cool, but lets face it that's not what he was saying in the middle of the discussion. He pretty much convinced himself that M-E and QVF are the same thing and that's not even close to true.

Anyway, I'm sure he's a nice guy you'd be happy to have beers with. Sure hope he reads Jim's book.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Agreed. I would also like to see more physicists doing actual experiments on some of this stuff, even if they don't work. Whats the quote? "If there isn't at least a 50% chance to fail it isn't research."? :D

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

After all, he has already said he hasn't looked at Woodward's work, so how does he know he can "demolish" it?
I've read a lot of comments on physics forums over the years by John Baez; he makes a regular habit of taking apart pseudoscience claims. He is famous for coming up with a "crank index" as a way to measure whether someone coming up with a new theory is full of crap or not.

Too bad he is mixing up the EMDrive stuff with Woodward, but I suspect he would be highly suspicious of the almost "something for nothing" implications I have read in this thread regarding the Woodward theory.