Mach Effect progress

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

vnbt4

Re: Mach Effect progress

Post by vnbt4 »

Would he mind?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Jim enjoys having guests in the lab. Send me your email and anything else you'd like forwarded and I'll be happy to do that. Aren't Anaheim and Fullerton adjacent? You two are likely less than 3 miles apart.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

vnbt4

Post by vnbt4 »

As of right now i have nothing to forward, i am having problems with getting sketches uploaded to the arduino. Also Anaheim is long comparaied to Fullerton so it is more like 1-13 miles but that is neither here nor there.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

So I was watching Ancient Aliens:
http://allshowsdaily.com/ancient-aliens ... stargates/

I watch these shows because I find them often devoid of science or reality most of the time and that usually gives me a good laugh. Much to my surprise, however; a certain Fullerton professor makes an appearance and talks about the work he is currently doing. He also shows at least one version of his device and test equipment. I imagine you guys might appreciate the brief attempt by the show to intertwine some real science into a generally hilarious show.

vnbt4

Post by vnbt4 »

I find the signals on the oscilloscopes very interesting. How there is a spacing between the two signals with the yellow signal coming in first and then the Blue. Near the end of the episode, i wonder if those same signals appear for Sonny whites work as well.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

You can now view this direct from The History Channel site. If you want to skip direct to Jim and his lab, pick up 30 minutes in.

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-al ... -stargates

I wish Jim had half the budget for a year, that this single episode must have had. Very impressive graphics, from the celestial views to the thruster animation.

This would have been better if H would have snuck in 1 minute on the involvement of folks like Dennis Sciama, Carl Sagan and Kip Thorne. Ah well.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

vnbt4 wrote:I find the signals on the oscilloscopes very interesting. How there is a spacing between the two signals with the yellow signal coming in first and then the Blue.
If I'm not mistaken, those are the traces for voltage and current into the device. If you'll recall, when the impedance is not matched between the generator and the thruster, the voltage and current arrive at different times, and since the power is the product of the two, this separation is to be avoided. Basically, because the power is the product, to get the power when it's needed to generate Mach Effects, the system needs to be matched and thus remove the phase angle between these two components. Jim tunes this circuit with a hand-cranked variable inductor, but a funded lab would use a high speed matching network such as is available from AE.

Also note these are essentially sine waves, but for ideal M-E production, Jim should be using a saw-tooth wave. Also, amidst all this, the frequency of the power generator needs to match the natural resonance of the thruster, which changes as it heats up (along with its inductance--hence the need for high speed matching.) In the future, mechanical resonance matching may be accomplished through a PLL circuit Jim has been toying with.

So these are three things that can all be improved with very modest funds, but that are just outside the abilities of an unfunded lab. I'm sure for less than the cost of this single TV episode, Jim could have all these needs met.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

GIThruster wrote:You can now view this direct from The History Channel site. If you want to skip direct to Jim and his lab, pick up 30 minutes in.

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-al ... -stargates

I wish Jim had half the budget for a year, that this single episode must have had. Very impressive graphics, from the celestial views to the thruster animation.

This would have been better if H would have snuck in 1 minute on the involvement of folks like Dennis Sciama, Carl Sagan and Kip Thorne. Ah well.
You would be surprised how cheap these animations are these days. Visual effects studios go broke all the time because the prices are so low. I left the VFX biz a long time ago and went into SW development because VFX is fun, but leaves you poor.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

ScottL wrote:So I was watching Ancient Aliens:
http://allshowsdaily.com/ancient-aliens ... stargates/

I watch these shows because I find them often devoid of science or reality most of the time and that usually gives me a good laugh. Much to my surprise, however; a certain Fullerton professor makes an appearance and talks about the work he is currently doing. He also shows at least one version of his device and test equipment. I imagine you guys might appreciate the brief attempt by the show to intertwine some real science into a generally hilarious show.
if you know it´s nonsense but don´t have the archeology understanding to pinpoint the imbecile errors, there is some guy on Youtube with amazing debunking videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCPhvYRnqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQ3Znnq6k4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ
GIThruster wrote:You can now view this direct from The History Channel site.
History Channel is a joke. They should change their name!

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I would certainly never argue that medieval art is evidence for UFO sitings, but I would point out that this debunker is just as dopey as those who misinterpret such art as evidence.

Medieval art is art that's subject matter is already more than 1,000 years previous. So what does it matter how any medieval artist portrays the sun and moon? It simply does not. It's an interpretation, and counting it as evidence for or against a UFO sighting 1,000+ years previous is what is wrong from the start, not the interpretation of that art!

There can be no doubt, that religions around the world record events that can be taken as UFO encounters, but the art later generated by those recorded events cannot ever provide anything approaching evidence.

I think this ham-handed approach at Ancient Aliens is laughable too, but I also think there are some stories that sound like UFO's and alien visitations. This debunker seems all concerned about what he calls the "biblical record" but what is the biblical record if not a record of alien visitations? Angels show up from the first book in the bible to the last, and many times between. These are always explained as something other than human, and older than humans, and from the heavens. It is really the modern interpretation that stipulates these are somehow "ultra-dimensional" or "extra-dimensional" beings who don't need spacecraft, that causes biblicists to stumble over the simpler details. Biblical angels may have had starships or not, they may have had stargates or not. The Bible simply does not say. All it says is "these folks are not from here". Likewise in all the relevant religious texts from the Vedas to the Incan myths of Viracocha.

And that's really all I want to offer on this topic as I think it distracts from the relevant issue here--the work in Jim's lab.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The 7 minute edit: http://vimeo.com/85105575

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

I just saw the whole episode. Its quite good, actually. Of course I don't buy into the whole idea of ancient aliens. But the show itself is quite good, and their treatment of Woodward's work is quite respectable.

vnbt4

Post by vnbt4 »

I have been wandering about the mechanics of a q-thruster and the process of the charging and discharging of capacitors, or more specifically how is the magnetic field operated, is it pulsed like the capacitor bank or is it constantly on during the period of operation?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The Q-Thruster was renamed by Sonny after Jim's patent application for it as the Mach-Lorentz Thruster (MLT) was let slip by Fullerton. Jim and Paul had a patent app in for the MLT, but Fullerton "forgot" to pay the support fees and the application lapsed. This didn't matter to Jim because he had returned his efforts to the previous design, now known as the Mach Effect Thruster (MET) when the evidence lead to the "bulk acceleration conjecture" and the proper reading of Jim's theory, that the entire active mass lattice needs to be accelerated. The MLT only accelerated the mobile ion inside the lattice but the current MET design accelerates the entire lattice.

So the MLT was designed and tested by Jim and Paul to operate with AC, but many years later; Sonny reinterpreted some decade-old MLT data and decided to use that deliberate misinterpretation as support to gain funding for his Eagleworks lab. He also decided to rename it to support his QVF model, and run it in DC mode--which produces no thrust signature at all, despite his QVM model suggests it should. After Sonny got his funding, the folks at NASA found out what he had done and joy was had by all.

So far as I'm aware, all the "predictions" of Sonny's model about warp interferometry and thrust from the MLT in DC mode, have been wrong, and the only positive lab results Eagle has had have all been based on driving MLT's with AC--hence according to Jim's theory. Paul could tell you better, but I don't think he's allowed to talk about the lab results. If you were lying to NASA about all your lab results, you wouldn't want people talking about them either. And pile onto that bullshit, the bullshit lies Sonny has told the press about an NDA. . . there is a stink at JSC that is going to take decades to wash away, and all of it, is because of the insane need on the part of many, to "prove" ZPF/QVF theory correct when in fact, all of the evidence to date is that it is NOT correct.

Just for background: the original MLT was designed to be a "silver bullet" that would eliminate all the acoustic reflections inside the current MET thruster of that time. It used a mix of BaTiO3 that had been stabilized to minimize the piezo and electrostrictive response of that material. The thought was, that accelerating the mobile Ti ion inside the lattice would be enough, until the Italian engineer working in Austria, Nembo Buldrini; noted that according to Jim's theory, the entire lattice needs to be accelerated.

Paul did get interesting results from the MLT, but because he had been unable to get his vacuum working properly, and did not provide a handful of other scientific controls; Sonny dismissed the results as spurious. It was therefore highly inappropriate for Sonny to years later use these results to get lab funding.

One thing about the MLT that is interesting is that at the time Paul released his results, he conjectured he had overheated the BaTiO3 and perhaps it had gone through a phase change from tetragonal to cubic, which would have enhanced its piezo and electrostrictive response. So best guess is still, that if indeed Paul's test results were accurate and not of spurious contributions, that what Paul was looking at was thrust in accord with Jim's predictions. These don't support the QVF model at all, which in fact came years AFTER those test results. Portraying those flawed MLT results as confirmation of a later model's "predictions" is therefore tantamount to scientific fraud and an excellent example of "pathological science".
Last edited by GIThruster on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

In trans-warp space, no one can hear you blaspheme..
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.