Mach Effect progress

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

raelik

Re: Mach Effect progress

Post by raelik »

I guess I need to consider whether or not my idea is compatible with Heidi Fearn's recent paper on HN theory: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.5426v1.pdf

It only considers the relativistic field equations. It doesn't get into quantum mechanics.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

raelik wrote:Looks like I'll have to wait until the book is actually available on Amazon before I can post a review. I'll put a note in my calendar to do that so I won't forget.
I think you can post a review under the Kindle version.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

raelik

Post by raelik »

So I had a very enlightening discussion with Dr. Kastner over e-mail, in which she led me to consider the causal set formulation as the framework upon which a quantum gravity theory compatible with TI can be formed, and linked me to her recent paper on transactions and causal sets: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1411/1411.2072.pdf

A much more elegant solution than what I had envisioned, I'll readily admit :D There would still need to be a quantum gravity theory built in accordance to this formulation, but one can definitely envision the route that would likely take.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Remarks on Wheeler-Feynman absorber theory
http://arxiv.org/abs/1501.03516
The derivation of absorber theory is outlined in very detail. Absorber theory is based on classical action-at-a-distance electrodynamics, but it deviates from that theory at a crucial point. It is shown that (a) absorber theory cannot achieve any of it's essential results without this deviation, and that (b) this deviation restricts the application range of absorber theory to stationary radiation processes. Furthermore an error which crept into Wheeler's and Feynman's interpretation of their equation (19) is pointed out. These shortcomings can probably be eliminated by a quantum-theoretical formulation of absorber theory.
Posted not because I have either time or energy to understand the argument, but because it may pertain directly to Woodward's theory.

raelik

Post by raelik »

DeltaV wrote:Remarks on Wheeler-Feynman absorber theory
http://arxiv.org/abs/1501.03516
The derivation of absorber theory is outlined in very detail. Absorber theory is based on classical action-at-a-distance electrodynamics, but it deviates from that theory at a crucial point. It is shown that (a) absorber theory cannot achieve any of it's essential results without this deviation, and that (b) this deviation restricts the application range of absorber theory to stationary radiation processes. Furthermore an error which crept into Wheeler's and Feynman's interpretation of their equation (19) is pointed out. These shortcomings can probably be eliminated by a quantum-theoretical formulation of absorber theory.
Posted not because I have either time or energy to understand the argument, but because it may pertain directly to Woodward's theory.
Kastner's Possibilist Transactional Interpretation (PTI) is a quantum-theoretical formulation of absorber theory, and is most certainly not restricted to stationary radiation processes, so I would say that shortcoming could definitely be eliminated by PTI.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

raelik wrote:So I had a very enlightening discussion with Dr. Kastner over e-mail, in which she led me to consider the causal set formulation as the framework upon which a quantum gravity theory compatible with TI can be formed, and linked me to her recent paper on transactions and causal sets: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1411/1411.2072.pdf

A much more elegant solution than what I had envisioned, I'll readily admit :D There would still need to be a quantum gravity theory built in accordance to this formulation, but one can definitely envision the route that would likely take.
Quantum effects are second-order illusions. The oil pan droplet experiments are probative. Reality will be found in deterministic physics.
Vae Victis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Since electrostriction has been mentioned in this thread...

Electrostriction enhancement in metamaterials
http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.04932

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

Any new news on the Mach Effect front?

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

birchoff wrote:Any new news on the Mach Effect front?
Jim's latest update indicated that the emdrive and cannae drives worked only when plastic inserts were placed in the metal chambers - a possible dielectric/Mach effect.
Vae Victis

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

djolds1 wrote:
birchoff wrote:Any new news on the Mach Effect front?
Jim's latest update indicated that the emdrive and cannae drives worked only when plastic inserts were placed in the metal chambers - a possible dielectric/Mach effect.
Saw a similar post by Paul March on NSF. Though I am honestly more intrigued by next steps Jim's taking in the lab. My personal opinion is if one assumes that the MET and EmDrive both work. I personally believe that the MET is on a stronger theoretical ground. The only question I have yet to see answered with any great detail is whats next. I Know GiThruster is off trying to build a company around the technology. But in light of all the improvements in Woodward's theory matching experimental results I would think the desire to get some third party replication kits out the door would be on the table.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Plastic outgassing / decay in a vacuum and/or strong RF field?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:Plastic outgassing / decay in a vacuum and/or strong RF field?
That has been also my first idea.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

are the resonant cavities in these devices sealed or no?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

JoeP wrote:are the resonant cavities in these devices sealed or no?
It's not clear from the pictures and there was no detailed sections in the papers I saw.
The Cannae drive seems open at both ends. The tapered cone seems flanged at both ends, but was not specified if sealed or not.
http://www.libertariannews.org/wp-conte ... dyEtAl.pdf
A society of dogmas is a dead society.