Mach Effect progress

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: Mach Effect progress

Post by GIThruster »

I'm still working on recruiting. It's much harder than raising money. In fact, even the investors will tell you, raising funds is almost the easiest job an entrepreneur will ever do.

I need guys in half a dozen different disciplines in science, and cofounders who have both the hard science background to learn quickly about this stuff, but the business background and startup background. I may have found all the cofounders I need, but a little public posting on the issue can't hurt. There are 7 million people who read that sub-forum in Pulse so I am hoping for some wide distribution, though the numbers are not coming as I'd hoped.

I'll probably adapt some other older works in like fashion so there's a sizable body of writing connected to my profile there. Just need to pick the right subjects.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

GIThruster wrote:I'm still working on recruiting. It's much harder than raising money. In fact, even the investors will tell you, raising funds is almost the easiest job an entrepreneur will ever do.

I need guys in half a dozen different disciplines in science, and cofounders who have both the hard science background to learn quickly about this stuff, but the business background and startup background. I may have found all the cofounders I need, but a little public posting on the issue can't hurt. There are 7 million people who read that sub-forum in Pulse so I am hoping for some wide distribution, though the numbers are not coming as I'd hoped.

I'll probably adapt some other older works in like fashion so there's a sizable body of writing connected to my profile there. Just need to pick the right subjects.

Ahh PR... Guess I should add a like to it to help spread the word. I was thinking of reposting the link on NSF but not sure you have much in the way of Good Will over there.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

No, I don't think NSF is the right place for that and other reasons.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Not really PR so much as HR.

Second installment: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/space-su ... -ron-stahl

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

That was well written.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

GIThruster wrote:Not really PR so much as HR.

Second installment: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/space-su ... -ron-stahl
Not too sure about the first paragraph, even with the qualification discounting the Viking site at L'Anse aux Meadows. An alternative view: Columbus Was (Not) The First To Cross The Atlantic
Ars artis est celare artem.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Not an especially useful view. I know it's quite popular, but the fact is, Columbus is recorded as the first European to cross the Atlantic. The folks who skirted around the edges, or crossed from West Africa were not out at sea for a month at a time. All the early European crossings were at sea for a month at a time.

BTW, if you read Barry Fell's book America B.C., you'll see that there were ancient Phoenicians who sailed up the Mississippi river. So these others noted in the link above were not the first to cross either. One can split hairs forever, questioning who actually arrived at the Americas first and that is really not the point at all.

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

I would argue the more interesting question if there are any interesting milestones we the eager public should be looking forward to this year from either Deep Space Transport or Woodward?

edited.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

GIThruster wrote:The folks who skirted around the edges, or crossed from West Africa were not out at sea for a month at a time. All the early European crossings were at sea for a month at a time.

BTW, if you read Barry Fell's book America B.C., you'll see that there were ancient Phoenicians who sailed up the Mississippi river.
I'll pass on Barry Fell, but these links would support the general thrust of your essay regarding decreasing journey times (rather than your controversial first paragraph).

Phoenician Ship Expedition
Phoenicians Before Columbus Expedition

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Let us not forget the Asians, Polynesians, and even the Chinese themselves.
Some interesting archaeological, anthropological and sociological finds/research along the northwest coast of South America.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Let us not forget the opening words were

"The first European crossing of the Atlantic that we know about was made by Columbus and took a month."

This is entirely correct. So where's the beef?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Eric the RED
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

. . .did not cross the Atlantic. He hopped around the edges on a journey that took more than a year.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

GIThruster wrote:"The first European crossing of the Atlantic that we know about was made by Columbus and took a month."

This is entirely correct. So where's the beef?
Your use of the word "we" is controversial, since you cannot possibly be speaking for all your readers.

A note on where medieval Basque fishermen caught their cod:
Cod - A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World

An interesting appraisal of Viking navigation:
How could the Viking Sun compass be used with sunstones before and after sunset? Twilight board as a new interpretation of the Uunartoq artefact fragment

And the strange case of European carvings of maize before 1492:
Surrounding a window are carvings of maize or Indian Corn

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

alexjrgreen wrote:Your use of the word "we" is controversial, since you cannot possibly be speaking for all your readers
It's not any more "controversial" than using the word "know", since all philosophers know one can argue like a flaming idiot over that too.

No offense Alex, but I have no sympathies with the whole "bludgeon Columbus as we rewrite history in favor of the victims" activity. That's for college kids and others who don't know how to spend their time.

Stop wasting your complaints. So far as sailing West from Europe into the big black and pioneering what became afterward a transportation case study, Columbus is the man! No need to be PC here. The guy deserves the kudos, even if he was a wretch.