Polywell Sketch

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Jeez, I thought it was Evel Knievel preparing to jump the fork lift over the box. Looked like a guy with a motercycle helmet and gloves. I guess the eyes can be fooled.

I guess we need to protest the EMC2 FDC for prpreparing to take over the world with their diabolical cyborgs!

:P

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Maybe EMC2 is not trying to take over, but were taken over...

Well, yeah, that means they'd then try to take over. OK, so it would no longer be them, but Them.

JCee

Post by JCee »

KitemanSA wrote:
Aeronaut wrote:Great job on the FAQ wiki, KitemanSA. Couldn't find what CV means, but I did gain a much better understanding of how a PW may function and fit into the existing power grid.

I also visited the EMC2 site and saw a sketch of a much smaller PW cube. Surely that's not the 100 MW size for a drop-in reactor/ vacuum module?
In MSimon's post, CV refers to Carrier Vessel, as in CVN-78 or USS John F. Kennedy, (CV-67).

If you mean the mostly transparent picture at the right of the three picture near the top, that one is the WB-8 (check out the properties of the image). The solid picture of the box with man and the fork-lift is, and is labeled, WB-D (Demo), the 100MW version. The WB-D won't necessarily include the "Venetian Blind" power collecting stuff, so the box may be smaller than a real power reactor.
Actually I'm nit picking here but CV stands for C=Carrier V=Fixed Wing Aircraft N= Nuclear. Thus CV= Carrier Fixed Wing Aircraft CVN=Carrier Fixed Wing Aircraft Nuclear.

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

"Actually I'm nit picking here but CV stands for C=Carrier V=Fixed Wing Aircraft N= Nuclear. Thus CV= Carrier Fixed Wing Aircraft CVN=Carrier Fixed Wing Aircraft Nuclear."

Ahhh... CV(N)=bird farm, and can be extended to powering the cruise ship industry.
The Power To Get Things Done

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

JCee wrote: Actually I'm nit picking here but CV stands for C=Carrier V=Fixed Wing Aircraft N= Nuclear. Thus CV= Carrier Fixed Wing Aircraft CVN=Carrier Fixed Wing Aircraft Nuclear.
Wow. That is different than I read many years ago. How does "Fixed Wing Aircraft" result in "V"? Not saying it doesn't, nothing the Navy does in this vein would surprise me, but there is usually SOME sort of logic to it!

Any ideas?

===========

Never mind, I found out myself. :wink:

Seems to have come from "Heavier than air", then later "fixed wing".

Answers.com says CVN = Carrier Vessel Nuclear. They probably got it from the same place I did!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am not sure I buy the fixed wing part. Our carriers also fly helos. They don't get u/w without helos if aircraft are embarked.

blaisepascal

Post by blaisepascal »

ladajo wrote:I am not sure I buy the fixed wing part. Our carriers also fly helos. They don't get u/w without helos if aircraft are embarked.
According to Wikipedia, aircraft carriers were originally conceived as similar to cruisers (which had the designation C), and the V came from the Frence verb voler, meaning to fly. Now, CV doesn't stand for anything except "Multipurpose Aircraft Carrier", with CVN standing for "Multipurpose Aircraft Carrier, Nuclear Propulsion".

choff

Post by choff »

I once had a debate with someone about how many aircraft carriers were built during WW2. I'd seen a documentary that twice said the US built 400+ carriers. On further investigation, somewhere around 150 to 160, with about 100 being CVE or jeep carriers. The CVE was supposed to stand for Combustible, Volatile, and Expendible.
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

blaisepascal wrote:
ladajo wrote:I am not sure I buy the fixed wing part. Our carriers also fly helos. They don't get u/w without helos if aircraft are embarked.
According to Wikipedia, aircraft carriers were originally conceived as similar to cruisers (which had the designation C), and the V came from the Frence verb voler, meaning to fly. Now, CV doesn't stand for anything except "Multipurpose Aircraft Carrier", with CVN standing for "Multipurpose Aircraft Carrier, Nuclear Propulsion".
I have wondered where the V came from for 25 years. I love talk- polywell.

:wink:

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

It has always been my understanding that the V in CV was the shorthand designation for "Fixed Wing Aircraft".

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

krenshala wrote:It has always been my understanding that the V in CV was the shorthand designation for "Fixed Wing Aircraft".
But if so, WHY?

HazeGrey.org says that the "V" designator used to refer to "heavier than air craft" then became "fixed wing aircraft". At least that makes military logic, it has a "V" in it and it is unique enough to be useful.

Then Blaise says, no it comes from the French word "voler". That could also be since we used to be much better friends with the French, especially before they got all snooty over us saving their @sses repeatedly.

So, "fixed wing" makes no sense and either of the other two make some sense. Which is it? Or did it come from something else all together?

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

choff wrote:I once had a debate with someone about how many aircraft carriers were built during WW2. I'd seen a documentary that twice said the US built 400+ carriers. On further investigation, somewhere around 150 to 160, with about 100 being CVE or jeep carriers. The CVE was supposed to stand for Combustible, Volatile, and Expendible.
That's why the Kennedy is also known as the John F. Kindling and Forrestal's nickname is Forest Fire.:wink:

All I needed to know that CV didn't mean a part of the PW machine or it's operation.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I read the same thing in wikipedia that Blaise did ("V' came from Voler). It cited a Naval Aviation Compendium as the reference.

One of my personal nickname favorites was Saratoga: "Sorry Sara" and sorry she was at the end.

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

Don't forget the Puget Sound or Norfolk :)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

ladajo wrote:I read the same thing in wikipedia that Blaise did ("V' came from Voler). It cited a Naval Aviation Compendium as the reference.
I found a good reference (after a bit of searching) for this.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.htm includes the section:
The following is taken from "United States Naval Aviation 1910-1995, Appendix 16: US Navy and Marine Corps Squadron Designations and Abbreviations":
On 17 July 1920, the Secretary of the Navy prescribed a standard nomenclature for types and classes of NAVAL VESSELs, including aircraft, in which lighter-than air craft were identified by the type "Z" and heavier-than air craft by the letter "V". The reference also speculates that: "The use of the "V" designation has been a question since the 1920s. However, no conclusive evidence has been found to identify why the letter "V" was chosen. It is generally believed the "V" was in reference to the French word volplane. As a verb, the word means to glide or soar. As a noun, it described an aeronautical device sustained in the air by lifting devices (wings), as opposed to the bag of gas that the airships (denoted by "Z") used. The same case may be regarding the use of "Z". It is generally believed the "Z" was used in deference to Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin. However, documentation has not been located to verify this assumption."
In European NATO Countries, "R" is used to designate an aircraft carrier.