Lawaranceville E-Newsletter

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Probably the price in the EU.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Brian H wrote:My screen says USD 34. Where did you get the 50?
My screen is giving out 34 Euro, that is 50 USD at the actual exchange rate.

If you get 34 USD than, like Betruger suggested, they are indeed charging differently according the location of the request. And that is not a small difference.
This makes me even less willing to give Springerlink even a dime of my money.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I've seen that a number of times, shopping online. A shop will give you the same price in dollars or euros for an item..

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Betruger wrote:I've seen that a number of times, shopping online. A shop will give you the same price in dollars or euros for an item..
True, but you get "free" shipping! :lol:

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

If I hadn't had the bad sense to go and get myself graduated, I'd be able to gain access to this article free of charge, as my alma mater—by no means a center of fusion research—subscribes to the Journal of Fusion Energy. Others who are students or professors may able to gain access to the article in like manner. LPP posted a free PDF of "Theory and experimental program for p-B11 Fusion" shortly after the article appeared in JOFE, but I can't say whether they'll do the same for the article on the switches. At any rate, I'm more interested in the article that was supposedly submitted to Physical Review Letters sometime this month. Unfortunately, PRL appears to have similarly restrictive policies, although authors may choose to pay a fee of $2700 to the American Physical Society to grant open access to their article. Somehow I don't think that's in LPP's budget. Again, if you're a university student or professor, you may have free access to PRL.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

They seemingly had quite a rush on their stock, last round:

http://www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.c ... &Itemid=90

Guess the xray application is a good one as well.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

My bet is that it was an inside purchase of an already present investor.
Maybe Eric Lerner himself or their CFO, Aaron Blake.

Anyhow, it means more money for the pB11 test phase :D

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

As part of their justification for addition stock income, LLP mentions successful demonstration of their X-ray conversion scheme. Does anybody know any details?

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Dan, they had some info about this in past updates, IIRC. There is probably some more info in the focus fusion society forum.
Basically their tests so far show that the DPF makes for a very practical Xray source for non destructive testing purposes. Very nice stuff! I know a lot of people that would be interested in something like that.

For everyone who missed it, there are two more updates online now:
Fighting the early beams:

and
New Database nears completion:

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Ah, my mistake. The use of DPF as a powerful x-ray source and conversion of X-ray energy tro electricity are two seperate possible spinoffs.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Another idea for a spinoff technology is to use the DPF as a source of radioactive isotopes. If the DPF is able to fuse deuterium and nitrogen, it will produce radioactive oxygen-15, which is used in positron emission tomography.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

The early beam issue is quite interesting and makes lot of sense.
It might be the the main issue they need to solve to be able to correctly tune their fusion process.
I am really interested in seeing how this will evolve.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Due to a lack of polywell, I have been watching these guys more closely lately. I think that their openess is refreshing and they do have a product now, even though not the main one.
It is cool to watch them move foreward with a lot of build a little, test a little. Lerner seems like a nice fellow too.
I wished there was more info on Helion on John Slough. It has been very quiet arround them lately (other than the space propulsion concept thingy). I think that they have the highest chance of success of all players right now. Their approach seems very conservative and the physics are sound.

rcain

Post by rcain »

fabulous recent posts on the FoFu site - albeit summary. seems we can look forward to lots of lovely data very soon; though given their probs with early beams/broad filaments, Q>1 this year now seems more challenging than ever.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

though given their probs with early beams/broad filaments, Q>1 this year now seems more challenging than ever.
I would agree with that.