Lawaranceville E-Newsletter

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ogiw wrote:You misunderstand me.

I simply want to know what fusion reactors you have built. I understand that you have a colliding beam design you are presenting.

Fusion physics has been filled for many decades with promising concepts and detailed designs.

Many have produced some energy.

None have passed breakeven.

You mention other machinery. That is okay, too. However, the first successful heavier than air craft was not built by any scientist studying aerodynamics. It was built by a pair of bicycle shop owners, how also happened to be damned good engineers. They built their own wind tunnel, checked Octave Chanute's published values for lift and drag from various airfoil cross-sections, and found his information was incorrect. They contacted him, and he admitted that their data was correct.

Note that it was their experimental results that counted.

Again, please describe the actual fusion reactors - fusor, polywell, DPF, other - that you have built. I provide the preceding list only as an example, not as the only possible or feasible alternatives (note, I did not include tokamak or stellarator).

At some level in this journey, there is no substitute for bending metal.

And, before you ask, no, I have not built any. Nor did I claim any expertise, either.

You have. Please describe the actual fusion reactors you have attempted to build.
No one. And what?
• First I do not believe the concept. And can explain why. And why I should build that in which I do not believe?
• Second - only amateurs believe that it is possible to build fusion reactor with budget of several thousands dollars. I have not more financial capabilities.

Brian H

D-T and boron

Post by Brian H »

AFAIK, no experiments with D-T are planned. The transition will be direct from D-D to boron.

I confused about where all the talk of bending an ion beam 90° came from. The alpha beam exits directly into the solenoid, and no "bending" is required.
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

Joseph Chikva

Re: D-T and boron

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Brian H wrote:AFAIK, no experiments with D-T are planned. The transition will be direct from D-D to boron.

I confused about where all the talk of bending an ion beam 90° came from. The alpha beam exits directly into the solenoid, and no "bending" is required.
Without bending focusing impossible.
This is new for me to use solenoid in focus fusion experiment. May be Dr. Lerner means that it would improve the stability. But main feature of every focus fusion experiment is focusing in self-magnetic field of discharge between in special manner configured anode and cathode.

Henning

Post by Henning »

Brian refers to the exit beam of the ions, which induce electricity directly by passing through an rogowski coil.

I think Joseph refers to the filaments that get bent at the tip of the electrodes, and then form into a pinch.

Joseph: Please read through the Focus-Fusion documetation more carefully, or watch the animations at http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/a ... animation/ . You might have experience with DPFs before, but that field moved since then. Or you are just using different words than everyone else here.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Henning wrote:You might have experience with DPFs before, but that field moved since then.
No, I have not any experience with DPF but have only read something about that. And:
Yes, I see some differences in comparison with earlier experiments (mainly anode)
Yes, I talk about namely focus formation ("filamentation" as you call)
And I have seen that video earlier.

rcain

Post by rcain »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
Henning wrote:You might have experience with DPFs before, but that field moved since then.
No, I have not any experience with DPF but have only read something about that. And:
Yes, I see some differences in comparison with earlier experiments (mainly anode)
Yes, I talk about namely focus formation ("filamentation" as you call)
And I have seen that video earlier.
re: 'filamentation'/(energy) focusing effect - is the 'break-through' idea FoFu is exploting, by my understanding - IIRC. something about maintaining plasmoid stability at high compression, by imparting a (small) 'torque' force at/during formation. i think the geometry of the whole plasmoid 'knotting' idea would be very interesting to see analysed inj some detail - i cannot recall whether there are any good theoretical papers linked off this forum anywhere - ...

i believe it is true, the 'basic' set up has been studied before/is still being studied elswhere... Lerner has been the first to acknowledge. (yes, anodes, etc).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yay! We get some news from LPP again today!
Looks like they are still facing engineering issues, but the results look much more in line with what their theory predicts.
http://www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.c ... &Itemid=90

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As always, good open science. They may yet crack this nut. How encouraging!

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Impressive.....

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

No offense to foreigners, but this makes me proud of specifically America.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

bennmann wrote:No offense to foreigners, but this makes me proud of specifically America.
This man was Russian. And not American.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ippov.jpeg
The second big question is critical plasma contamination caused by anode erosion. Do you have any positive news of current experiment?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Dude, go to the website and read what they have posted. That would be your news.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

@Joseph national pride in Russian scientist is very good too :) I am happy for your country's history in physics.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

bennmann wrote:@Joseph national pride in Russian scientist is very good too :) I am happy for your country's history in physics.
I am not Russian. And very big percent of Russian physicists now work in USA. As they can not find corresponding job in their native.
Last edited by Joseph Chikva on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ladajo wrote:Dude, go to the website and read what they have posted. That would be your news.
As I understand nothing yet with which it would be possible to be proud.