Lawaranceville E-Newsletter

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Which doesn't mean they are not still under a gag order, just one not based in law.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Here we go again... :wink:

I actually agree with you, thus in my submission above about the main debate.

I think that there are two parts to it, some desire by EMC2 to protect propriety, and some desire by ONR to protect funding and also control of the project.

So far ONR is doing a fantastic job keeping EMC2 under the table, many normal visibility chains have been closed (some for a while).

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

At this point I think this may be a good thing, overall, for EMC2's development/testing of the Polywell. In six months, however, my opinion might change, pending new information. :D

Brian H

Post by Brian H »

krenshala wrote:At this point I think this may be a good thing, overall, for EMC2's development/testing of the Polywell. In six months, however, my opinion might change, pending new information. :D
... or lack thereof.
:P
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

There is a series of videos covering the New Jersey LPPX meeting in December. Some interesting information included .

http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/a ... le_online/

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Brian H

More news, again!

Post by Brian H »

First, a rather detailed writeup by proud New Jersians, glad to have something better than a sleazoid TV show to be famous for:
http://caldwells.thejerseytomatopress.c ... story,6110

And, as mentioned, a PR journal acceptance at JOFE, and another submitted to PRL.

And the "Ruggedization" of the switches proceeds apace :twisted: :
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/a ... edization/

A tungsten sparking rod core for the switches, looks about 5X the diameter of the existing one. Will require a redrill and insulation rebuild for the switches. But likely with overbuild margin to handle 45kV (the mfr had promised that originally, but the h/w could only actually handle 25 :x ).
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I do hope for them to get pB11 fusion this year. It could really be the start of a new era.
Yet I wonder what a success of LPP might mean for the Polywell program...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

DPF (we hope) yields megawatts.
Polywell (we hope) yields gigawatts.

Different applications.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

That is true, yet a successfull fusion device might sign the end of the fusion research in other apparatus for quite some time.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

That is true, yet a successfull fusion device might sign the end of the fusion research in other apparatus for quite some time.
Funny, I would predict quite the oposite. It would spark more research and more interest in investing in it. The reasoning would be that if one can do it, so can others.

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors »

Giorgio wrote:That is true, yet a successfull fusion device might sign the end of the fusion research in other apparatus for quite some time.
I see it quite the opposite, if a fusion device is proven as workable...this is going to lead to a Gold Rush opportunity for those already in a solid postion. EMC may be in a position to capitalize on this to a must greater extent than they have aleady-

A release like this may force EMC to come to the table with more information about their device. For the minute though, I think the secretive tortoise approach is a smart one. Why rush to the public when they have the both the need & opportunity to continue fleshing out WB8+.

Their current funding is solid- No reason to rock the boat unless they find it necessary to keep up with the Joneses (ie. workable alternative device).

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And the possibility that the funders want EMC to keep a low profile as well in order to protect the project (funding) and themselves (intellectual rights).

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Above are many politic-ish pros and cons for EMC2 should DPF work out, but what about the actual technical consequences? It could be that novel understanding due to working DPF could strengthen or weaken Polywell approach.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

True, both ways even.

It is going to be a long year.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Long, but hopefully eventful. I'm hoping each is successful and finds its niche.

The article published in the Journal of Fusion Energy is behind a paywall, but it can also be downloaded here.