Chemists warming to Cold Fusion.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

TallDave wrote:Now I'm curious, I'll have to see how much a radon detector is.
Build your own: http://www.techlib.com/science/ion.html ... 0Accessory

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Talldave,

I let my wife order whatever she wanted for our cabin kitchen. To my relief, she likes Silestone over granite. She asked what the little shiny flecks were, and was told the counter she liked was made with a lot of recycled material including broken mirrors.

No radon, but I wonder how many years bad luck.

Anyway, at the cabin one should not be inside stiffing fumes from the countertops, one should be outside in the fresh air. Of course, that means UV rays, bears, rattlesnakes, and the most dangerous of all, hunters with 6-packs.

Radon is worth checking on if you are in a high-risk area and have kids, but I'd bet good money something else will get you.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

TallDave wrote:
The thing about Radon exposure is that it tends to be those of a slightly higher social standing who are exposed, the main source of this exposure being from granite. Not many people can afford granite kitchen surfaces and a lot of the statistics will also come from areas where the main building material was traditionally granite.
Hmnmm, would life really be worth living without my granite counters?

I used to stop by Home Depot every weekend and lust over the Blue Pearl. Finally got them when I built my new place.

Now I'm curious, I'll have to see how much a radon detector is.
Well if you live in an area with a lot of granite bedrock, like here in New Hampshire, if you have a closed well system, you should install radon capture devices in your water system, else you'll ingest and shower yourself with dissolved radon in your water. Many such areas also have arsenic issues because arsenic is common in granite.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Hmmmm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon
The highest average radon concentrations in the United States are found in Iowa and in the Appalachian Mountain areas in southeastern Pennsylvania.[60] Some of the highest readings ever have been recorded in the Irish town of Mallow, County Cork, prompting local fears regarding lung cancer. Iowa has the highest average radon concentrations in the United States due to significant glaciation that ground the granitic rocks from the Canadian Shield and deposited it as soils making up the rich Iowa farmland.
I'm in Illinois, probably has similar issues. Fortunately I'm in a large upper-level townhome with an open design and city water. If there's radon it probably accumulates at the bottom of the stairwell by the garage. I wonder about the marble floors in my bathrooms though. Sounds like I shouldn't sleep on them.

http://www.marble-institute.com/industr ... 10_HPS.pdf

On the plus side they measured no radiation from my Blue Pearl counters.

Thanks for the link hanelyp. That ion chamber and radon accessory looks like fun, I'll have to do that someday.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...