2,500 Fusion Labs

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

2,500 Fusion Labs

Post by MSimon »

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... 6053.shtml

(PRWEB) March 30, 2010 -- Anticipating net energy in 2010 or 2011,Energy Made Cleanly CTO Matthew R. Wood plans to aggressively minimize commercialization delays by building 2,500 local college collaborative network of DPF-based aneutronic fusion energy labs funded by alumni, business, and community leaders to address several clean energy challenges. Economy, solar, and bio fuels also to benefit.

"Building a huge open-source network makes the mammoth perceptual challenges such as lack of public awareness, funding, and regulatory politics much more manageable,” said Energy Made Cleanly president and CTO Matthew R. Wood, who plans to spread the key scientific and financial risks as thinly as $100 per business and community leader threatened by new EPA regulation, the Cap And Trade Bill, and the coming C.L.E.A.R. Act. Funding and control remains in each donor’s community. No federal research funds are jeopardized.

Such a network’s numbers are intriguing. 2,500 campuses raising $1M per year results in $2.5G of private capital. At $100 per donor, this represents at least 25 million influential donors- possibly enough to isolate and challenge any lobbying group that believes it can’t benefit from virtually free energy.

The science is equally intriguing. Of three currently practical fusion fuels, only the scientifically ambitious hydrogen-boron-11 (pB-11) eliminates the inefficient and expensive steam turbine generators whose high capital costs prevent atomic fission power plants from delivering on their promise of cheap electricity.

Three groups are pursuing pB-11 fusion with the entirely different reactor configurations known as Colliding Beam Field Reversed (CBFR), PolyWell, and Dense Plasma Focus (DPF).
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Interest is growing.

It's funny they have the same acronym as Energy Matter Conversion Corp.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

That's excellent.. Can't wait to see how this develops. At least one poster here was already itching to find a way into fusion post-grad.

EricF

Post by EricF »

Thanks MSimon. I wonder how we can get in touch with those folks for our own schools.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

EricF wrote:Thanks MSimon. I wonder how we can get in touch with those folks for our own schools.
Contact them:

info
at
energymadecleanly
dot
com

http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/toc/contact_us/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

MSimon wrote:
EricF wrote:Thanks MSimon. I wonder how we can get in touch with those folks for our own schools.
Contact them:

info
at
energymadecleanly
dot
com

http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/toc/contact_us/
Or you can ask me questions directly on this forum or focusfusion dot org.
Matt Wood
The Power To Get Things Done

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

Inc Magazine's new issue has an article about a bunch of startup incubators around the country with similar ideas to mine, except for the networking part. (VC interests and all).:D

My take is that every community could have at least one fusion research inculab if they were to begin promoting the idea that they wanted one.

icarus

Post by icarus »

My take is that every community could have at least one fusion research inculab if they were to begin promoting the idea that they wanted one.
Interesting, who are you expecting to pay for all these community fusion labs?

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

icarus wrote:
Interesting, who are you expecting to pay for all these community fusion labs?
Business and community leaders who are beginning to feel the pinch of fossil fuel pollution taxes and only see more of the same coming down the pike.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Business and community leaders who are beginning to feel the pinch of fossil fuel pollution taxes
Just the business and community leaders by voluntary donation and not the business/communities themselves then, that's okay but unlikely I suspect. I was alarmed you were suggesting to use forcible taxation and the green gravy train to hitch fusion's wagon to, on a grand scale ... (well tokomak research is a grand scale but they don't have one in every community).

Aeronaut

Post by Aeronaut »

icarus wrote:
Business and community leaders who are beginning to feel the pinch of fossil fuel pollution taxes
Just the business and community leaders by voluntary donation and not the business/communities themselves then, that's okay but unlikely I suspect. I was alarmed you were suggesting to use forcible taxation and the green gravy train to hitch fusion's wagon to, on a grand scale ... (well tokomak research is a grand scale but they don't have one in every community).
Not at all, Icarus. I mentioned business and community leaders as early contact points because they have the need, the money, and the contacts to bring aneutronic fusion into the public consciousness as a viable alternative to the D-T's.

And that group can do it through word of mouth and company culture. If you had 100 people working for you, you'd have a direct and indirect audience of at least 300 to 400, plus your supplier, customer, and prospect connections.